1872 First Leg Fri 18th March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 First Leg Fri 18th March

Postby Weegie on Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:57 pm

doedin wrote:Between both teams 34 players are unavailable due to injury or international duty. Both squads must be close to their limits?

Edinburgh have had Jack Mann back training with them as back row cover for a few weeks. The may have other Super 6 players that I don't know of.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:10 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:A wee bit surprised that we have the props in the order we do, almost feels like we are holding back until Berg is off to really have a go. Possibly rewarding Courtney and Williams for a good display vs Conn.

Happy enough with our squad. Glasgow back row is very good going forward, I have a sneaking suspicion that Dempsey goes missing a bit in a dog fight, still a quality player we need to keep quiet though....

big game for the likes of Young and Muncaster to put a marker down too.

Venter has started half a dozen games on the trot iirc, he's been terrific but Courtney did well last time out.
De Bruin is probably in line to be our starting tighthead once the mighty WP begins to look at life after playing, but De Bruin's obviously been injured and again Williams did well against Connacht.

I'd love to see Boyle and Muncaster tear up trees tomorrow night - oh and the rest of the team too - Bradbury with a big point to prove could be an interesting watch
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:41 am

Tichtheid wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:A wee bit surprised that we have the props in the order we do, almost feels like we are holding back until Berg is off to really have a go. Possibly rewarding Courtney and Williams for a good display vs Conn.

Happy enough with our squad. Glasgow back row is very good going forward, I have a sneaking suspicion that Dempsey goes missing a bit in a dog fight, still a quality player we need to keep quiet though....

big game for the likes of Young and Muncaster to put a marker down too.

Venter has started half a dozen games on the trot iirc, he's been terrific but Courtney did well last time out.
De Bruin is probably in line to be our starting tighthead once the mighty WP begins to look at life after playing, but De Bruin's obviously been injured and again Williams did well against Connacht.

I'd love to see Boyle and Muncaster tear up trees tomorrow night - oh and the rest of the team too - Bradbury with a big point to prove could be an interesting watch

Muncaster outplaying Dempsey would be superb.

Disappointed we probably won't see Darge Vs Boyle this year.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:10 am

Considering the players missing our pack is very strong indeed.

Williams and Courtney are what, third or fourth choice props? Both look like they can hold a scrum up at the very least (a skill not to be underestimated) with Williams in particular looking like he's coming onto a game and might be able to do more than that.

What's your opinion on Murphy Walker Tichtheid? Looks a decent talent who injury has maybe hampered given he's 22 and only has a few games under his belt at pro level. I know he played loosehead for the under 20s but I did think he was a tighthead, the next Murray McCallum? Flitting from side to side.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:58 am

JDCSR wrote:Considering the players missing our pack is very strong indeed.

Williams and Courtney are what, third or fourth choice props? Both look like they can hold a scrum up at the very least (a skill not to be underestimated) with Williams in particular looking like he's coming onto a game and might be able to do more than that.

What's your opinion on Murphy Walker Tichtheid? Looks a decent talent who injury has maybe hampered given he's 22 and only has a few games under his belt at pro level. I know he played loosehead for the under 20s but I did think he was a tighthead, the next Murray McCallum? Flitting from side to side.

I don't know much about him to be honest, having looked him up I've seen the games he has played for Glasgow and I read he is Sean Lineen's nephew, but that's all.

This is his first start, he has a good boiler room behind him, though I fancy both out front rows in this match.

The club has just announced details of the return fixture, it's to be on the big pitch, 6:30pm Sat 21st of May
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:34 pm

Interestingly for the first time in quite a while a big pitch will suit us more than Glasgow, also a warm May day should be ideal for our style of play. 6.30pm is not too bad, will hopefully allow more kids to come than if it was 7.30 or 8pm.

Looking forward to tonight. Glasgow certainly have the edge in experience, but I think our youngsters are more than ready for the challenge.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:28 pm

Listening to the buildup on Radio Scotland and, if the presenter refers to Wilson and Blair as “the managers” one more time, I’m going to scream!
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:50 pm

Lucky no card for Boff. But holly Davidson is excellent, clear and concise in explaining decisions.

Pressure meant try was inevitable, goodndefence generally though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 pm

Van Der Walt that was absolutely horrendous.

Why is he playing for us?! He is not good enough.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:26 pm

Terrible kick. We are playing ok so far.

Are Glasgow trying to waste time?

I’m happy so far, given the bench we have if we can stay within 10 for the last 20
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:29 pm

Time for the bath Jaco, not having a good night, just not able to get over the last couple of yards at the line, could be ahead. Just half time though.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:33 pm

HT chat about Boff and a yellow card, it usually is given right enough, but then Dempsey should have seen yellow later on the Glasgow line
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:34 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Time for the bath Jaco, not having a good night, just not able to get over the last couple of yards at the line, could be ahead. Just half time though.

Apart from a couple of kicks to nowhere and a terrible pass to Mesu, I've barely noticed he was playing.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:45 pm

Is Dean playing stand off now? Seems to be first receiver and bringing players in well.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:45 pm

What a turnaround from Dean going from afterthought to key playmaker.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum