1872 First Leg Fri 18th March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 First Leg Fri 18th March

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:49 pm

Well, if I'm not mistaken FKL, a week ago you said Boyle will never play at the level Darge does.

There was a problem at Edinburgh regarding backrows, the problem being that the starting three were Ritchie Watson and Mata.

Watson made the Lions after being player of the 6N. Ritchie should have gone on that tour too, for me he is the first name on the Scotland teamsheet. Mata would start for most international sides in the world.

Behind them we had Bradbury, Crosbie, Haining

Bradbury was about 24 at that time, he had been on fire until the shoulder injury sustained in tonking Toulon - he was worth pursuing with.
Haining has performed very well at international level
Crosbie was the coming man, big abrasive, hard as LawrenceBryce nails, just what Scottish rugby needed

Behind that we had Kunavula, Miller, Boyle and Darge (both just out of the academy as 20 year olds)

Kunavula was a rough diamond, a terrific sevens player who looked to have all the tools that Big Bill has.
Miller had come in from the Scotland 7s and was playing really well every week.

To be honest, I'm happy Boyle and Darge are now playing and playing well, they are ages with each other, I think there is a week between them, they are just turned 22 years old, Ritchie McCaw started with the Crusaders and New Zealand at nearly 22, so they are not running out of time.

It's a waste of time and energy roarin and greetin about why they didn't get selected over proven internationals when they were 20 years old
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:55 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Well, if I'm not mistaken FKL, a week ago you said Boyle will never play at the level Darge does.

Should have stopped there, FKL loves his hindsight goggles. He also can't just be happy to see two great young opensides he has to carry on greeting like a broken record because he's so bitter about a coach who left months ago. Get over it.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:58 pm

Also need to remember Miller was discarded by Cockerill on arrival for not being big enough etc and worked his KelvinDeaker off to prove him wrong.

We don't see training etc and players mature get the kick they need at different times think we are very fortunate in current and coming group of backrows, plenty of other positions we need to worry a lot more about.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:14 am

There is an argument for saying that Glasgow really haven’t got enough out of Miller. After the year he had here I thought he’d quickly establish himself across there. Is the fact that he hasn’t down to him not showing the same form or is he not showing the same form because he’s been poorly used?
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:20 am

Sonicboom wrote:There is an argument for saying that Glasgow really haven’t got enough out of Miller. After the year he had here I thought he’d quickly establish himself across there. Is the fact that he hasn’t down to him not showing the same form or is he not showing the same form because he’s been poorly used?

I think they've got a very, very settled first choice backrow in Fagerson, Darge and Dempsey. Then they've also got Wilson in reserve who offers experience and leadership and Gordon who is pretty much always really good so I think Miller is just having to bide his time a bit as they've had no real injuries in that 5 either.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:46 am

JDCSR wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Well, if I'm not mistaken FKL, a week ago you said Boyle will never play at the level Darge does.

Should have stopped there, FKL loves his hindsight goggles. He also can't just be happy to see two great young opensides he has to carry on greeting like a broken record because he's so bitter about a coach who left months ago. Get over it.

Not hindsight, I made the points at the time Cockerill was failing with youth development. I'm not bitter about Cockerill, if I'm bitter it's because I don't get to watch Darge - one of Scotland's best prospects - and they have him.

I also doubt Boyle will reach the level of Darge who is a now a quality international. Darge is as good if not better at the breakdown but obviously has more carrying threat. And Darge has done it Vs France maybe the world's best team right now, in the champions cup and Vs full strength non international window sides. Not to downplay Boyle who has been fantastic. But Darge is easily one of the best players in Scotland right now.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:34 pm

We need to be very mindful of our league position especially given we've played more games than nearly everyone else. We need top 8 to make the URC play-offs and realistically top 7 (given there will be one spot for the top welsh team even if outwuith the top 8 which looks unlikely now).
So not much leeway with 5 matches to go.With,albeit home matches,against Ulster and Glasgow to finish I feel we need to get something out of the SA trip.Going to be very difficult but just one win over there could make an enormous difference to how the season plays out.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:48 pm

The morning after the night before thoughts:

1. I wish we had Walker and really wonder why, previous management aside, Berghan went westwards.

2. VDW needs moved on and quickly. He offers literally nothing. Kinghorn is first choice and Savala looked like a man without enough game time when he came on. Chamberlain may still have it, but time is running out for him now.

3. Boyle is a diamond. I am just about over Darge going westwards.

4. Pyrgos is having his best season for us, and yet is still 2nd choice to Vellacott. However, I am very impressed with how Glasgow shut Ben out of the game in the last 20. Their control was impressive and I think the Dobie/Thompson axis was key. No surprise that changed when Weir went off.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:04 pm

I enjoyed that between both clubs there were a lot of good young Scottish players on show:

1. Walker
3. Walker
4. Hodgson
6. Muncaster
7. Boyle
9. Dobie
10. Thompson
12. McDowell
13. Currie
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:02 am

Caught up on this on return from Dublin and agree with most of the reviews . Don’t want to add to criticism of individuals whose confidence may already be on the floor but it was clear that a lot of Edinburgh plays broke down at 10 . Not always the half backs fault as a couple of times back row players got in the way of clean passes putting huge pressure on 12 and 13. Aside from McKay and Dobie , Glasgow didn’t particularly sparkle but had more experience and physicality in their pack which paid off in the last 20 .Their Marquee moments came from avoidable Edinburgh errors in possession. I wonder if Adam Hastings might move back North to revive his international career given where Russell appears to be heading ?
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:33 am

There was a problem at Edinburgh regarding backrows, the problem being that the starting three were Ritchie Watson and Mata.

Watson made the Lions after being player of the 6N. Ritchie should have gone on that tour too, for me he is the first name on the Scotland teamsheet. Mata would start for most international sides in the world.

Behind them we had Bradbury, Crosbie, Haining

Bradbury was about 24 at that time, he had been on fire until the shoulder injury sustained in tonking Toulon - he was worth pursuing with.
Haining has performed very well at international level
Crosbie was the coming man, big abrasive, hard as LawrenceBryce nails, just what Scottish rugby needed

Behind that we had Kunavula, Miller, Boyle and Darge (both just out of the academy as 20 year olds)

Kunavula was a rough diamond, a terrific sevens player who looked to have all the tools that Big Bill has.
Miller had come in from the Scotland 7s and was playing really well every week.

To be honest, I'm happy Boyle and Darge are now playing and playing well, they are ages with each other, I think there is a week between them, they are just turned 22 years old, Ritchie McCaw started with the Crusaders and New Zealand at nearly 22, so they are not running out of time.

It's a waste of time and energy roarin and greetin about why they didn't get selected over proven internationals when they were 20 years old

If only we still had Rob Moffat and could have picked 3 opensides.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum