Sharks v Edinburgh.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Sharks v Edinburgh.

Postby toocoldhere on Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:42 pm

Great stuff despite a clearly homer ref (understandable given it was the Sharks). Blair, Cherry and Muncaster all excellent. Boffelli once again showing why he's one of the best players in the world. Hope we can keep hold of him
toocoldhere
Established pro

Postby Frenchy on Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:29 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:Did I miss the MoM call?

Kinghorn, I think.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:46 am

Tichtheid wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Am I over the top to suggest that was one of the great performances in Scottish rugby history? Probably but must be up there...
Some titanic performances-Muncaster,Watson,Boffelli,Kinghorn in particular.
And being greedy I felt with a bit more calmness forwards would have released the ball to the backs at that final maul to give them a chance at a bonus point try.
Amazing how all the nonsense of the 6N can be blown away after watching that.

I haven't seen the game yet, only the tries, but I said elsewhere that I thought this was one of the major league wins for Edinburgh in the pro era. That was a good Sharks side with eight SpringBoks at least, including the inspirational Siya Kolisi, one of the major stars of the international game.

A terrific result for Edinburgh, and much-needed, too.

Must be on a par with some of our away wins in France in the Heineken Cup, as I think travelling to South Africa is a whole different experience and that Sharks team was full of Springboks.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:13 am

Just seen the tackle-in-the-air incident, though not the TMO debate.

For the life of me I cannot understand how that was mitigated down to a yellow. I thought we had done away with the nonsense about the tackled player using an arm to break a fall and THEN landing on the head/neck/shoulder area didn’t count as directly landing. Absolutely reckless play and should have been a deserved red.

EDIT: now heard the TMO discussion and it’s mitigated because he lands on the tackler first. Who, by the way, drops him, making no attempt to safely bring him to ground. That is an absolute nonsense and I would hope the URC disciplinary committee would step in. However, the baffling mitigation to Bismarck du Plessis’ suspension and the games it applied to handed out last week suggests that they are not on good form right now.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:06 pm

Having now seen the game, and I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but it is frustrating that we made a pig’s ear of the lineout on 5m at 75 minutes and then moments later we stuffed up a driving maul at the crucial moment after mauling them back 20 metres. We should have taken the BP,
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 pm

TheSmidge wrote:Just seen the tackle-in-the-air incident, though not the TMO debate.

For the life of me I cannot understand how that was mitigated down to a yellow. I thought we had done away with the nonsense about the tackled player using an arm to break a fall and THEN landing on the head/neck/shoulder area didn’t count as directly landing. Absolutely reckless play and should have been a deserved red.

EDIT: now heard the TMO discussion and it’s mitigated because he lands on the tackler first. Who, by the way, drops him, making no attempt to safely bring him to ground. That is an absolute nonsense and I would hope the URC disciplinary committee would step in. However, the baffling mitigation to Bismarck du Plessis’ suspension and the games it applied to handed out last week suggests that they are not on good form right now.

This is what I telling the telly-ref/TMO couldn’t hear me-no attempt to catch the ball, take the player out and leave him to sort out his landing.
Also agree with TH, we should have finished it off with a bonus point, Ah Well.
Can they pull something out the hat next week at altitude?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:35 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:Just seen the tackle-in-the-air incident, though not the TMO debate.

This is what I telling the telly-ref/TMO couldn’t hear me-no attempt to catch the ball, take the player out and leave him to sort out his landing.
Also agree with TH, we should have finished it off with a bonus point, Ah Well.
Can they pull something out the hat next week at altitude?

If only the more erudite of us had a direct channel into the TMO's ear so he could intervene correctly when required :D
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:52 am

Yes please. :lol:
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:18 am

Getting tight at the top of the league for making the top 4.

Our last matches

Lion A
Zebre H
Ulster H
Glasgow H

Chances of winning all 4, or 1?

Leinster 55pts
Ulster 50pts
Munster 47pts
Glasgow45pts
Edinburgh 43pts
Stormers 38pts (game in hand)
Bulls 37pts (game in hand)
Sharks 36pts (game in hand)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Croft_No.6 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am

Key game will be Ulster at home.
Leinster and Munster play each other twice and Ulster also play Munster.
Leinster have two games in SA, Ulster one more this coming weekend.
Croft_No.6
International

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:22 am

Agree, Ulster is key, but so is Glasgow, both are big points swings.

Having said that Lions and Zebre are arguably easier games and if we win both of them then we would be in a very strong position. Last week was a bit of a bonus, if we coudl back it up even better. Interesting Nel, Gilcho, McInally and Darcy are on their way out. They may just be going for a bit of warm weather training after a week off, but we are certainly taking it seriously.

Im not 100% sure how all of the qualifications work, but my understanding is playoffs of the top 8, top 4 being at home 1v8 etc. But also if we top our mini group we qualify automatically for the ERC, or if we have to be one of the top 4 teams who haven't qualified from that route, which at the moment we are.

Basically I think ERC qualification is target 1, anything less is failure and to do that just staying ahead of Glasgow is our best bet. Will be interesting to see how they go in SA, assuming they win vs Zebre, we will be supporting the Stormers and Bulls, who will be tricky games for them.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:59 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Im not 100% sure how all of the qualifications work, but my understanding is playoffs of the top 8, top 4 being at home 1v8 etc. But also if we top our mini group we qualify automatically for the ERC, or if we have to be one of the top 4 teams who haven't qualified from that route, which at the moment we are.

Basically I think ERC qualification is target 1, anything less is failure and to do that just staying ahead of Glasgow is our best bet. Will be interesting to see how they go in SA, assuming they win vs Zebre, we will be supporting the Stormers and Bulls, who will be tricky games for them.

Yeah ERC has to be target, ideally we want to top the Scottish/Italian pool make it easy but could come down to the final game v Glasgow to see who finishes top of the pile and depending on results which makes Champions cup.

I think as it stands with SA able to qualify for 22/23 Leinster, Glasgow, Stormers and Ospreys are in as pool leaders Ulster, Munster, Edinburgh and Bulls as the next highest 4 teams, so any slip ups could see the SA teams knock us down to Challenge cup.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:30 pm

Given Glasgow's last two performances away from home, they could return from SA pointless, particularly as they are playing the two top performing Saffer teams. We should both crush Zebre at home and I would fancy our chances of getting something against either Ulster or Glasgow.

At a minimum, that puts us on 52 points before we account for anything from this coming weekend. If we beat Ulster and lose to Glasgow, then they could be on 54, so a win would be massive.

It would take something spectacularly bad not to make the play-offs now, but ERC qualification is a must. That is a sign of progress.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:15 am

I see the Dragons found the Sharks an easy opponent too - 51-3. Even allowing for the conditions on the day it puts our win into a wee bit of context.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:10 pm

I felt Ben Blaine helped Sharks out a couple times, certainly with a conversion out of time, and the first yellow, thought it was as much a knock on by the Shark initially, although Dragons were well beaten in any case, so yes last weeks game does stand up a a great win.
More today please.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum