Ben Muncaster

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Ben Muncaster

Postby Impega on Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:13 am

So, so impressed with him over recent weeks. Already a proper physical specimen at 20 and a very good speaker when interviewed too. Having captained Scotland at age-grade levels he seems like the type who could go on to do similar for the club if he keeps progressing. Feels like a like-for-like Bradbury replacement, which should free up budget for elsewhere in the squad.

Will be interesting to see whether the likes of him and Boyle retain their places in the matchday squad when everyone else is fit and available...
Impega
World Cup Star

Re: Ben Muncaster

Postby JDCSR on Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:59 am

He's been very good indeed.

Hard to see him not featuring in the 23 even with everyone available though admittedly depth is pretty outrageous if everyone is fit.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:37 pm

He's got the potential to be better than a "like-for-like Bradbury".

I know we got excited when Maggie burst through, early Scotland debut etc. But Ben is a more explosive ball carrier and generally seems more of an in-yer-face kind of player. Don't get me wrong, I've always fought Maggie's corner, but I think Muncaster has the potential to be on a different level entirely.

In the next 4-5 years we could have Ritchie, Sykes, Muncaster, Boyle, Ritchie, Hodgson, and Crosbie all come to peak (if not already there). That's a heck of an exciting prospect. And certainly one that should give some shudders to a few coaches around the URC.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:19 pm

TheSmidge wrote:He's got the potential to be better than a "like-for-like Bradbury".

I know we got excited when Maggie burst through, early Scotland debut etc. But Ben is a more explosive ball carrier and generally seems more of an in-yer-face kind of player. Don't get me wrong, I've always fought Maggie's corner, but I think Muncaster has the potential to be on a different level entirely.

Agree. He appears to have very good footwork too (his break in the build up to the third try against the Sharks being a good example). I meant 'like-for-like' in the sense that he replaces Bradbury as a frontline 6 or 8 in the squad.

Like the look of a long-term back-row consisting of Ritchie, Crosbie/Boyle and Muncaster.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:21 pm

Impega wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:He's got the potential to be better than a "like-for-like Bradbury".

Agree. He appears to have very good footwork too (his break in the build up to the third try against the Sharks being a good example). I meant 'like-for-like' in the sense that he replaces Bradbury as a frontline 6 or 8 in the squad.

Like the look of a long-term back-row consisting of Ritchie, Crosbie/Boyle and Muncaster.

There's also Rudi Brown who looks like a bit of a bear at 18 years old already.

Muncaster isn't a prospect any more, he's the real deal now at 20.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum