v Lions Sat 2nd of April

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

v Lions Sat 2nd of April

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:36 pm

Thought I might as well get this started.

We have flown the rest of the 6N guys out, it's a long way to go to watch a game of rugby so I expect to see them all involved in some way.

I'm going to take a guess at;

Schoey, MacInally, Nel, Hodgson, Gilchrist, Bradbury, Watson, Muncaster

Vellacott, Kinghorn, Moyano, Lang, Bennett, Graham, Boffelli

Cherry, Venter, de Bruin, Young, Boyle, vdWalt, Dean, Pyrgos.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Cherry start and Rambo on the pine, likewise with Vellacott and Pyrgos. I think vdW will get the nod on experience over Savala.
Phillips has looked good recently so he could be in there

We need to back up last week with a good performance and that is the strongest side we have available
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: v Lions Sat 2nd of April

Postby JDCSR on Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:35 pm

Is Sykes fit yet? He and Phillips would give us a monstrous second row both in terms of size and physicality.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:48 pm

JDCSR wrote:Is Sykes fit yet? He and Phillips would give us a monstrous second row both in terms of size and physicality.

Sykes is out there with the squad so presumably he's fit.

I expect him to line up against Pau, if not this weekend, he has a big future with Edinburgh.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:21 pm

I think Philips might start with Gilchrist . Sykes may not be fully fit for the conditions , he hasn’t played for over a month. So maybe Young on the bench otherwise agree with your pick. In the backs , it’s tricky ? I think we might see Immelmann back with Graham on the wing instead of Moyano . In the centre there are fine margins between Lang and Dean who has been impressive on his return to action . Tough call there. Agree more likely to see VDW who will be keen to perform in front of his home town and alumni over Savala on the bench. Just hope heat and altitude don’t compromise is too much.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby toocoldhere on Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:35 pm

I thought Immelman was out with injury?

After his last performance I don't think Jaco deserves a place anywhere near the squad.

I'd start Henry and have Vellacott on the bench
toocoldhere
Established pro

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:54 am

Immelman was out with a minor injury, not sure if that means he'll be back this week or not.

I wonder if Hamish is due a rest this week since he didn't get one last week like the other international forwards (and he put in quite a shift!).
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:49 am

robdinsdale wrote:Immelman was out with a minor injury, not sure if that means he'll be back this week or not.

I wonder if Hamish is due a rest this week since he didn't get one last week like the other international forwards (and he put in quite a shift!).

I'd play him if he's not injured, he's getting nearer his best form every week. His Edinburgh season started in December and he's played nine games in four months, three in the league, two in the cup and four in the 6N.

I think we'll see players rested against Pau.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:56 am

15. Henry Immelman (13)
14. Darcy Graham (46)
13. Mark Bennett (64)
12. James Lang (13)
11. Emiliano Boffelli (12)
10. Blair Kinghorn (112) VICE-CAPTAIN
9. Ben Vellacott (15)

1. Pierre Schoeman (75)
2. Stuart McInally (161) VICE-CAPTAIN
3. WP Nel (165)
4. Pierce Phillips (8)
5. Grant Gilchrist (168) CAPTAIN
6. Magnus Bradbury (106)
7. Hamish Watson (125)
8. Ben Muncaster (9)

Replacements
16. Dave Cherry (52)
17. Boan Venter (23)
18. Luan de Bruin (6)
19. Glen Young (8)
20. Connor Boyle (18)
21. Charlie Shiel (42)
22. Jaco van der Walt (81)
23. Matt Currie (10)

Unavailable: Luke Crosbie, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, James Johnstone, Viliame Mata, Jamie Ritchie, Ben Toolis.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:11 pm

Full noise it is then.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:15 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Full noise it is then.

I like it.

Suspect we'll need the strong bench as well with the altitude probably tiring out the players.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:22 pm

Immelman has come on to his game of late, he's actually beaten more defenders than anyone else in the league and lies fourth in metres gained.

He's lost a lot of turnovers though, so we need to get support to him when he makes those carries.

I like that side, there is a lot of carrying threat and pace across the whole team.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:11 pm

Is this the first time this season we’ve fielded our first choice front row starting and second choice on the bench?

Arguably first choice backline as well.

Full throttle definitely.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:24 pm

TheSmidge wrote:Is this the first time this season we’ve fielded our first choice front row starting and second choice on the bench?

Arguably first choice backline as well.

Full throttle definitely.

For me Hoyland starts on the wing in our first choice with Boff at FB, but that's me being picky
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:52 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
For me Hoyland starts on the wing in our first choice with Boff at FB, but that's me being picky

Snap i agree - Hoyland was in great form pre-injury and we get to see more of Boff when he is at fullback.

However i quite like Immelman as well, Dean has looked really sharp post injury and Moyano is our top try scorer...it is great we have that bit of depth and means we are debating a few positions.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:06 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Snap i agree - Hoyland was in great form pre-injury and we get to see more of Boff when he is at fullback.

However i quite like Immelman as well, Dean has looked really sharp post injury and Moyano is our top try scorer...it is great we have that bit of depth and means we are debating a few positions.

I think it is difficult to leave out Moyano on pure numbers at the moment, obviously there has to be a place for Boff in terms of quality and goal kicking, and Darcy is our best winger. For me, it was a choice between Moyano and Immelmann plus shuffling.

When Damo is fit again, then can revisit the conversation. My concern is that his Edinburgh career has been in such fits and starts that we have never truly seen the best of him. I wonder what his longest run of consecutive games is?
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum