v Bath Sat 16th 8pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: v Bath Sat 16th 8pm

Postby liveinhope on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:44 pm

Its a pity as clearly much more interesting than had we,as seemed possible at one stage,played Benetton.A famous Premiership club with,probably,a lot of fairly big names-Underhill,Bayliss,Cipriani,Rokodranguni,Cogonasiga,Ben Spencer etc.
I imagine the date and time was foisted on us as the club would surely have opted for Friday night if they could.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:10 pm

Any word on De Bruin injury? WIth Nel now banned we might be struggling at TH against a strong scrummaging Bath pack. I suspect Bath will be looking to target our scrum now and will hope to take us on up front with some big carriers like Hughes in the pack. From what I have seen they are not a particularly mobile pack and their front 5 and Hughes can be exposed when in the defensive line. They do look very slow in defending after multiple phases and get ragged with the defensive line and dog legs start appearing. They don't work very hard to be honest. They do however have some good strike runners in the backs but have so far been very disjointed and when under pressure resort to one up carries and then kicking, usually poorly. I suspect we will play a long game and hope that our better fitness and more mobile pack will wear them down and we will do well in the final quarter. However we have to avoid giving away the stupid penalties we are prone to doing at set piece and breakdown and then ending up defending line outs and mauls in our own 22, if we do this then we might have a long night ahead of us.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:16 pm

I think De Bruin and Venter are both out for a couple of months.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:25 pm

Not good at all-especially as it takes it to the end of the season even if we make progress in the URC play offs.
(On the bright side great to hear Luke Crosbie now fit and available for Saturday given our depleted back row stocks at present (and that he has been re-signed for an undisclosed period).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:29 pm

doedin wrote:Any word on De Bruin injury? WIth Nel now banned we might be struggling at TH against a strong scrummaging Bath pack. I suspect Bath will be looking to target our scrum now and will hope to take us on up front with some big carriers like Hughes in the pack. From what I have seen they are not a particularly mobile pack and their front 5 and Hughes can be exposed when in the defensive line. They do look very slow in defending after multiple phases and get ragged with the defensive line and dog legs start appearing. They don't work very hard to be honest. They do however have some good strike runners in the backs but have so far been very disjointed and when under pressure resort to one up carries and then kicking, usually poorly. I suspect we will play a long game and hope that our better fitness and more mobile pack will wear them down and we will do well in the final quarter. However we have to avoid giving away the stupid penalties we are prone to doing at set piece and breakdown and then ending up defending line outs and mauls in our own 22, if we do this then we might have a long night ahead of us.

Hughes' loan has ended and he is back at Bristol.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:00 pm

liveinhope wrote:Just got my tickets by e-mail.I had a look at the website to see how sales were going-absolutely astonished how few were sold.At a rough guess only about 40% of capacity (and yet at the weekend seemed more had gone).
What's happening here-at a quick look I to note reckon at least 80% of tickets gone for the Ulster game in a fortnight.
Easter plans? Season ticket holders baulking at having to pay for a knock-out game? very few Bath fans travelling due to Easter/very late scheduling/or just the 8pm kick off??
Great pity as i thought this would be a sell out.

Newcastle are doing heavily discounted tickets for their game against Glasgow so it seems we are not the only club struggling to sell out with this short turnaround time.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:22 pm

15. Henry Immelman (15)
14. Ramiro Moyano (11)
13. Mark Bennett (65)
12. James Lang (14)
11. Emiliano Boffelli (13)
10. Blair Kinghorn (113) VICE-CAPTAIN
9. Ben Vellacott (16)

1. Pierre Schoeman (77)
2. Stuart McInally (163) VICE-CAPTAIN
3. Lee-Roy Atalifo (21)
4. Marshall Sykes (19)
5. Grant Gilchrist (170) CAPTAIN
6. Ben Muncaster (10)
7. Hamish Watson (126)
8. Magnus Bradbury (108)

Replacements
16. Adam McBurney (9)
17. Harrison Courtney (5)
18. Angus Williams (10)
19. Glen Young (10)
20. Connor Boyle (20)
21. Henry Pyrgos (64)
22. Jaco van der Walt (83)
23. Cammy Hutchison (12)

Unavailable: Luan de Bruin, Luke Crosbie, Darcy Graham, Sam Grahamslaw, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, Mesu Kunavula, Viliame Mata, WP Nel (suspension), Pierce Phillips, Jamie Ritchie, Ben Toolis, Boan Venter
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:23 pm

Crosbie's heralded return turns out to be a false flag. We do get priority for Williams over Watsonians (thankfully).

Otherwise, strong team and good bench.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:44 pm

As good a team as we could hope for given injuries and suspensions.

I suspect we might struggle a little in scrums but otherwise should be a good battle up front - Bradbury v Faletau should be interesting. However we really need to attack their backs who, whilst can be good with ball in hand going forward, are not the best defensively as a unit and we need to be patient, go through phases and look for mismatches and gaps in their defensive line. Whilst we might concede a few tries I think we will score more than them and with Bofelli doing the kicking for us then that might be decisive. I am desperate for Cipriani to get on the pitch, he is mince and his defensive is just plain awful so I am hoping the last 20 mins with him on the pitch we can exploit the gaps at 9-10-12. It will be tougher than we think but I am hopeful we have more X factor players than they do.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:45 pm

15 Tom de Glanville, 14 Semesa Rokoduguni, 13 Jonathan Joseph, 12 Max Clark, 11 Joe Cokanasiga, 10 Orlando Bailey, 9 Ben Spencer; 1 Valeriy Morozov, 2 Tom Dunn, 3 Will Stuart, 4 Will Spencer, 5 Charlie Ewels ©, 6 Josh Bayliss, 7 Sam Underhill, 8 Taulupe Faletau

Replacements

16 Jacques du Toit, 17 Arthur Cordwell, 18 D’Arcy Rae, 19 Mike Williams, 20 Ewan Richards, 21 Joe Simpson, 22 Danny Cipriani, 23 Will Butt
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:59 pm

That's a very strong Bath line-up (on paper anyway).funny how after all their injury problems this season all their stars are now back for this match!
All the more reason to bemoan-as I posted earler-the low ticket sales (and I can't see many more having shifted in the past 48 hours).Those two line ups deserve a full house.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:47 pm

Think we should have taken a leaf out of the Newcastle book at £10/ticket.

£25 for a standing ticket in a game that may see a half full stadium is pretty steep.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:58 pm

Good game, that.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:11 pm

Excellent result and excellent performance - it was a bit like the Connacht game in that we started slow and then ran the legs of the opposition. Bath couldn't cope with our pace and fitness and we ran away with it in the last 20-30mins, Bath have some seriously unfit players who faded badly as the game went on. Some excellent performances around the whole team, Kinghorn scared the SteveWalsh out of them at 10 and they couldn't cope with our back play at times. Their defence was very poor and their back 3 were awful defensively. Our scrum held up better than I thought it would, Bradbury made yards all night off the back of the scrum and our back row comfortably outplayed theirs, Falatau was invisible, Underhill stayed in the game for 50 mins and Bayliss looked good. We looked very confident that we would eventually over power and over run them, the players and Blair have real faith in themselves, their fitness and their game plan. My only gripe is we are awful at fielding restarts and must have coughed up most of them. Wasps next up, I'm sure we will give them a good go.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:17 pm

There was a post on the Embra fans FB page from a family member which said that DeBruin and Venter will both be out for a couple of months, that is a real blow.

We should have WP back for Ulster in the league, given that he attended the session which would reduce his three weeks to two.

That is a really good result tonight, I didn't see the game but from the comments it looks like once we tidied up a bit we ran riot.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum