Edinburgh v Zebre Fri 22nd 1945

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Zebre Fri 22nd 1945

Postby macdone on Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:54 pm

Hopefully that's a kick up the KelvinDeaker before next week. Ulster just lost at home so they'll be fired up. Could do with Nel back and Bradbury for that one.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:11 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Awful performance

One of the worst this season.

Yeah not good, happy with result though given 55mins a man down.

Schoeman and muncaster I thought got through a huge amount of work.

Edit: top8 so tight, next week is massive...will take a 3-0
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:37 pm

Well that was tense, surprised to come away happy as job done, but by the skin of our teeth. Schoeman is such a big player for us, hopefully got a few more games in him this season. Would love it if he became Nel mark two and stays with the club for his career.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:32 pm

Poor performance but away with 5 points, somebody call the polis.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:09 am

Best we get that one out our system and regain focus. Laboured looking , disjointed performance. Linkage in midfield was not great and too reliant on power play through back row that misfired as a unit whilst performing individual heroics. . Kinghorn needs Lang or Dean outside him to share playmaking . Bennett terrific in a back 3 that lived off scraps which came mainly from opposition mistakes. Would expect a couple of changes next week and not least the return of Boffeli , Gilchrist and Nel for starters.Credit to unlucky Zebre , they look just marginally shy of a very credible force in the this league and undoubtedly with recent recruitment and coaching investments will be even stronger next season .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:51 am

Aside from very nearly dropping the ball and costing us the game(!?!?!), Bennett was the heart and soul of the team again.

Schoemann and Muncaster got the headlines last night, but Benzo has been such a key and effective leader in attack and defence for us this season. I have no doubt that we would not be in the position we are if he hadn’t hit such a rich vein of form.

He’s my player of the season. At the very least, he should be getting the Caullie Lug.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:19 am

Heart was in my mouth whilst the review was in progress, it looked as if it could have gone either way, ball in two hands please guys, get it on the ground in safety.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:19 am

TheSmidge wrote:Aside from very nearly dropping the ball and costing us the game(!?!?!), Bennett was the heart and soul of the team again.

Schoemann and Muncaster got the headlines last night, but Benzo has been such a key and effective leader in attack and defence for us this season. I have no doubt that we would not be in the position we are if he hadn’t hit such a rich vein of form.

He’s my player of the season. At the very least, he should be getting the Caullie Lug.

Agree Bennett has been simply outstanding! Boan Venter should be in the running cor the Cauille Lug also.

Garbage performance, garbage. Vdw is a handy 15 option though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:07 pm

Bit annoying that Leinster put out a 3rd string and hand the Sharks a bp win, but hey ho.

Leinster usually put out 2nd teams who are still pretty awesome, but that does look very 3rd choice. Although I’m not a student of the Leinster squad so may be wrong.

It’s a danger to the URC if the saffers are very weak at the start of the season over here and then NH teams send the colts over there late in the season. Defeats the purpose of strengthening the league.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:25 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Bit annoying that Leinster put out a 3rd string and hand the Sharks a bp win, but hey ho.

Leinster usually put out 2nd teams who are still pretty awesome, but that does look very 3rd choice. Although I’m not a student of the Leinster squad so may be wrong.

It’s a danger to the URC if the saffers are very weak at the start of the season over here and then NH teams send the colts over there late in the season. Defeats the purpose of strengthening the league.

Not sure leinster are the issue, they are the benchmark, ignoring budget etc, they are really well drilled and whoever comes in knows plays/system irrespective of 1st, 2nd,3rd choice. The SA teams starting season away is a bigger factor. Kolisi for example is one of the biggest draws in rugby him appearing at DAM, kingspan etc draws fans improves league.

Although above perhaps a moot point given how tight 2-8 is in the league now, 4 points covering them, the DAM should be jumping next week! Can't wait!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:53 am

A great pity Leinster were held up over the line on last play as that would have taken 3 points away from Stormers which could be vital at the end of the day.So close that the permutations are endless.
What must be stressed though is that we have to be get top SEVEN (or finish above Glasgow) to make the Champions Cup next season-and surely that is more important than play offs or winning the Challenge Cup? (In fact is it not correct that we could still win the Challenge Cup and the URC but not qualify for Champions Cup next season -if we only qualify for the play offs in 8th place?)
We have to win at least one,and possibly both,of the Ulster and Glasgow matches to be sure of qualification.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:19 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Bit annoying that Leinster put out a 3rd string and hand the Sharks a bp win, but hey ho.

Leinster do have the luxury of being comfortably clear at the top, and even with their 3rds weren't far off getting an away victory in Durban.

I think the bigger problem with the touring teams to SA this season was the covid rearranged games, which will hopefully not be an issue next season. Similarly, I'd expect the SA teams to have more access to Springboks next season as well with fewer covid isolation issues.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum