Edinburgh v Zebre Fri 22nd 1945

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Zebre Fri 22nd 1945

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:48 pm

15. Jaco van der Walt (84)
14. Ramiro Moyano (12)
12. Mark Bennett (66)
12. Cammy Hutchison (13)
11. Freddie Owsley (2)
10. Blair Kinghorn (114) VICE-CAPTAIN
9. Henry Pyrgos (65) CAPTAIN

1. Pierre Schoeman (78)
2. Dave Cherry (53) VICE-CAPTAIN
3. Lee-Roy Atalifo (22)
4. Marshall Sykes (20)
5. Glen Young (11)
6. Ben Muncaster (11)
7. Hamish Watson (127)
8. Mesulame Kunavula (21)

Replacements:

16. Adam McBurney (10)
17. Harrison Courtney (6)
18. Angus Williams (11)
19. Jamie Hodgson (36)
20. Connor Boyle (21)
21. Ben Vellacott (17)
22. James Lang (15)
23. Matt Currie (12)

Unavailable: Luan de Bruin, Luke Crosbie, Darcy Graham, Sam Grahamslaw, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, Henry Immelman, Viliame Mata, WP Nel (suspension), Jamie Ritchie, Ben Toolis, Boan Venter
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Zebre Fri 22nd 1945

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:54 pm

That's probably a stronger side than I expected. It's a shame Crosbie isn't back yet, I was hoping he'd get a run against Zebre to get him up to speed for the sharp end games coming up.

Having said that it's a tasty back row plus Boyle on the pine of course. I hope we can put Fast Freddie into a wee bit of space a couple of times.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:30 pm

That side should be enough to do the job. Some players getting a rest and a few more on the recovery trail. Good to see Kunavula back to give Bradbury a rest. I have been impressed how our 2nd row have been playing this season - Sykes, Young and Hodgson have all stepped up and have looked impressive and pretty aggressive. I was a bit worried about our 2nd row at start of season but these guys have stepped up and make it look like a position of strength for us now.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:15 pm

doedin wrote:That side should be enough to do the job. Some players getting a rest and a few more on the recovery trail. Good to see Kunavula back to give Bradbury a rest. I have been impressed how our 2nd row have been playing this season - Sykes, Young and Hodgson have all stepped up and have looked impressive and pretty aggressive. I was a bit worried about our 2nd row at start of season but these guys have stepped up and make it look like a position of strength for us now.

Agree, think Cockerill deserves credit for the players he brought in before he departed. Appreciate SRU overlords will have had some influence (and deserve credit too) but Young, Philips, McBurney, Boffelli, Moyano, de Bruin, Venter all signed under Cockerill and have really delivered. I know we grumbled when the likes of Scott, Berghan, Miller and Darge left but feels like we have a much more balanced squad with good depth across more than front and back row of pack this season. Most importantly Blair has been able to use the squad and get more out of the players.

3 home games left to deliver on, our fate should really be in our hands. Starts tomorrow and I think that squad can deliver the BP win we need to push to the end of season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:54 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
doedin wrote:That side should be enough to do the job. Some players getting a rest and a few more on the recovery trail. Good to see Kunavula back to give Bradbury a rest. I have been impressed how our 2nd row have been playing this season - Sykes, Young and Hodgson have all stepped up and have looked impressive and pretty aggressive. I was a bit worried about our 2nd row at start of season but these guys have stepped up and make it look like a position of strength for us now.

Agree, think Cockerill deserves credit for the players he brought in before he departed. Appreciate SRU overlords will have had some influence (and deserve credit too) but Young, Philips, McBurney, Boffelli, Moyano, de Bruin, Venter all signed under Cockerill and have really delivered. I know we grumbled when the likes of Scott, Berghan, Miller and Darge left but feels like we have a much more balanced squad with good depth across more than front and back row of pack this season. Most importantly Blair has been able to use the squad and get more out of the players.

3 home games left to deliver on, our fate should really be in our hands. Starts tomorrow and I think that squad can deliver the BP win we need to push to the end of season.

I forgot to mention Phillips! He has probably been the biggest, most pleasant surprise! I have been really impressed with him when he has played, a big bruiser who puts himself about, great line out operator and soft hands for such a big guy. We seem to be in a good place for 2nd and back row going forward with lots of guys who will only get better with more games and experience under their belt.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:19 am

The young lads in particular have really showed up well in the 2nd row. We haven't even missed Toolis really when he has been a lynchpin of our team in the league for years.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:07 pm

I sort of agree with that bit I still think it's a real shame we've not seen Toolis at all this year. He's been such a good player for us over the years and he definitely deserved a proper send off!
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:56 pm

The Nudger wrote:I sort of agree with that bit I still think it's a real shame we've not seen Toolis at all this year. He's been such a good player for us over the years and he definitely deserved a proper send off!

There's no higher compliment we can give the young group of locks other than pointing out how little we've missed Toolis this season.

Given the consistent excellence in the tight offered by Ben that's some going. Been one of my favourite Edinburgh players for some time. Awesome work rate and few better tighthead locks around. Underrated.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:35 pm

Early try perhaps not working for us. Leaders need to stand up and lay it on the line, business end of the season, LawrenceBryce wake up.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:43 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Early try perhaps not working for us. Leaders need to stand up and lay it on the line, business end of the season, LawrenceBryce wake up.

It's like they thought it was going to be a cakewalk after the first try.

We need to focus, the break came at a good time for us, hopefully Mike Blair will get them back on song
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:53 pm

This is our season.

Two cards
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:42 pm

Tichtheid wrote:This is our season.

Two cards

5 points, never in doubt.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:43 pm

Phew!
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:44 pm

That last 10 minutes was not good for my health.

But job done and 5 points in the bag.

Silly boy Sykes, just no need at all.

Can't decide yet whether Munster's win is better for us or not. Ulster will probably be smarting in the next match.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:45 pm

Awful performance

One of the worst this season.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum