Edinburgh v Ulster - 30th April - 7.35pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Ulster - 30th April - 7.35pm

Postby Croft_No.6 on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:16 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Ulster at DAM Health Stadium in the United Rugby Championship
Saturday 30 April (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Jaco van der Walt (85)

14. Damien Hoyland (90)
13. Mark Bennett (67)
12. James Lang (16)
11. Emiliano Boffelli (14)

10. Blair Kinghorn (115) VICE-CAPTAIN
9. Ben Vellacott (18)

1. Pierre Schoeman (79)
2. Stuart McInally (164) VICE-CAPTAIN
3. WP Nel (167)
4. Jamie Hodgson (37)
5. Grant Gilchrist (171) CAPTAIN
6. Luke Crosbie (65)
7. Hamish Watson (128)
8. Magnus Bradbury (109)

Replacements

16. Dave Cherry (54)
17. Harrison Courtney (7)
18. Lee-Roy Atalifo (23)
19. Pierce Phillips (10)
20. Ben Muncaster (13)
21. Henry Pyrgos (66)
22. Chris Dean (117)
23. Matt Currie (13)

Unavailable: Luan de Bruin, Darcy Graham, Nick Haining, Henry Immelman, Viliame Mata, Ramiro Moyano, Jamie Ritchie, Ben Toolis, Boan Venter, Angus Williams, Glen Young
Croft_No.6
International

Re: Edinburgh v Ulster - 30th April - 7.35pm

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:20 pm

Really happy to see Crosbie and Damo back, I just hope they are up to speed.

WP off the naughty step, too.

We could really have done with Graham back, but otherwise that has been our first choice backline
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:22 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Really happy to see Crosbie and Damo back, I just hope they are up to speed.

We could really have done with Graham back, but otherwise that has been our first choice backline

Moyano? Immelman?
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:29 pm

Weegie wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Really happy to see Crosbie and Damo back, I just hope they are up to speed.

Moyano? Immelman?

Well, first choice apart from the ones I overlooked, obviously :P

Mores seriously, Boff at fullback, Graham on one wing with Moyano and Hoyland duking it out as first choice other winger would be my selection.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:40 pm

Going to be a very tough game, always are against Ulster.

I have grown to appreciate Laing's game at 12, defensively good and can carry hard into traffic but he is like having a second stand off, very good hands and takes the pressure off of Kinghorn at 10. I must admit I had my doubts when he arrived but he has grown into the role and the team and I think Bennet has really benefited from his arrival. We missed him against Zebra when our attempt to use Hutchison as a sledgehammer didn't really work.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:45 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Weegie wrote:

Moyano? Immelman?

Mores seriously, Boff at fullback, Graham on one wing with Moyano and Hoyland duking it out as first choice other winger would be my selection.

Edinburgh are getting very close to having a very strong first choice team all round.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:46 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Weegie wrote:

Moyano? Immelman?

Same for me, but this selection is not a bad one considering we have three back three players missing.

Jaco is maybe our 3rd/4th best fullback but he's a solid option there I think.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:48 pm

doedin wrote:Going to be a very tough game, always are against Ulster.

I have grown to appreciate Laing's game at 12, defensively good and can carry hard into traffic but he is like having a second stand off, very good hands and takes the pressure off of Kinghorn at 10. I must admit I had my doubts when he arrived but he has grown into the role and the team and I think Bennet has really benefited from his arrival. We missed him against Zebra when our attempt to use Hutchison as a sledgehammer didn't really work.

That move we do with Lang passing it out of the back is really effective.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:56 pm

Great to see Hoyland Back and Crosbie too , the latter brings a bit more to our lineout and maul but such fine margins between him , Muncaster and Boyle who have been terrific.

Agree on Lang , he has impressed more consistently in last couple of shows but again small margins between him and Dean who probably produced one of the best attacking displays of the season with Kinghorn vs Connacht. We have much more quality now across so many positions.

Hope the rain that is forecast doesn’t compromise what should be a fantastic match .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:20 pm

Ulster: Lowry; Baloucoune, Hume, McCloskey, McIlroy; Burns, Doak; Warwick, Herring, Milasinovich, Treadwell, Henderson; Marcus Rea, Timoney, Vermeuelen.

Replacements: Roberts, O'Sullivan, Kane, O'Connor, Matty Rea, Cooney, S Moore, Lyttle
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:33 pm

Strong squad Boyle perhaps unlucky to drop out, been playing well, but great to have Crosbie back.

Looks a decent Ulster team but their results not been great of late.

Hopefully Schoe, Rambo and Nel can get on top in the scrum and the pack gives us the platform

Huge match for both, looking forward to it.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:48 am

With a sell out crowd could our noise be the 16th man? Need to drown out the Ulster fans as the guys do seem to get something from the backing. Going up to Knockhill to watch some bike racing first to take my mind off the game for a bit.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:26 pm

Just seen on the Twitter page that WP Nel is 36 today. Surely need to make sure he gets a nice present about 9.25pm tonight.....!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:37 pm

I'm feeling somewhat similar to how I feel before an International. Excited anticipation and nerves. This game is huge for us, and stadium should be jumping.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby specybaldy on Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:25 pm

sammy wrote:I'm feeling somewhat similar to how I feel before an International. Excited anticipation and nerves. This game is huge for us, and stadium should be jumping.

I am maybe feeling more nervous because I have more anticipation for this one. I am stuck in Belfast (ironically) due to Covid, so will miss being at the DAM; it is good that season tickets are transferable.

We really need the crowd tonight to drown out the Ulstermen.
specybaldy
Embra Debut

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum