Edinburgh v Ulster - 30th April - 7.35pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Ulster - 30th April - 7.35pm

Postby TheSmidge on Sun May 01, 2022 2:04 pm

Tichtheid wrote:It was a sair ane to lose right enough, but our set piece stats were better than Ulster’s we had overwhelming territory and possession numbers, Ulster gave away 13 penalties to our 12 and they also copped two yellow cards, we were playing against 14 for twenty minutes.

I suppose the stats must tell coaches that you are more likely to score from hammering away at the line than shipping it wide, but it just wasn’t working at the end there and we should gave tried something different, just as Mark Bennett did

My only riposte is that with “overwhelming territory and possession” you would normally expect the penalty count difference to be a little wider than 13-12. That tells the story I think. No denying that we could have won the match ourselves BUT poor refereeing can also have a fundamental impact on results. This is was one of those occasions.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun May 01, 2022 2:59 pm

Some thoughts along similar lines to the above: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

Fully agree about Ben Muncaster, which is why I sponsored him this season. I also sponsored Rory Darge last year and Murray McCallum the year before. That probably suggests that:
1. I am a shrewd judge of talent; and
2. I am The Grim Reaper when it comes to a player's future at Edinburgh Rugby.

I hope the latter does not hold true for Ben as he seems to grow as a player every match he plays.

I think the point about The King's kicking is an interesting one, albeit I come at this from the position of absolutely no expertise at all. But I've been wondering whether part of the problem, when we are playing westwards in Minifield, is that he kicks the ball too high when going for touch. The wind in the stadium is a bit odd in that it can seem relatively calm at pitch level, yet is often clearly pretty strong higher up. That seemed to be the case last night and it did feel like it helped us a bit in the second half.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun May 01, 2022 5:05 pm

The other aspect on the kicking is if he went too deep and missed touch or dead in goal he would be getting ripped as well.

Make certain of touch, back Cherry to hit his man and the pack to set us a platform....went wrong after that.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon May 02, 2022 8:20 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:The other aspect on the kicking is if he went too deep and missed touch or dead in goal he would be getting ripped as well.

Yes, he would. And that dear boy is the point. His touch kicking, like his tactical kicking just isn't good enough. Nor his goal kicking, and like his goal kickng he should be removed of his touchline kicking.. Edinburgh have better options
joe soap
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum