1872 Cup decider, Sat 21st 1830

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 Cup decider, Sat 21st 1830

Postby The Chiel on Sun May 22, 2022 9:53 am

Also agree with the comments - WP's Finn impression the stand out moment for me. But also a shout out for Mike Blair, who recognised the front row dominance and didn't go down the 50 / 60 minutes and off for fresh legs route.

Defense was excellent throughout. Dean has really come on to a rich vein of form.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sun May 22, 2022 9:56 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Wilson and harley looked like they came with the intention of just stirring SteveWalsh rather than trying to play rugby

That's all that Wilson has ever had
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun May 22, 2022 11:04 am

Terrific evening but from where we were sitting-lower East stand-atmosphere not a patch on the Dam.Made me realise how lucky we are to have the new stadium.Hope matches are not moved to BTM ,clearly apart from Glasgow fixture,unles say a Champions Cup semi-final.
One point from last night-surprised the announcer at no stage mentioned the impact of the (cumulative) scoreline on the 1872 Cup.Certainly where we were got the impression not many aware of the 13 point deficit.In the last ten minutes I'm sure a reminder would not have gone amiss!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sun May 22, 2022 1:19 pm

It was a super evening and no lack of effort by the Union into event management and supporter hospitality which was excellent. The atmosphere just needed another 10, 000 in the stadium which I am sure would have been the case during the festive season when there would be no conflict such as the Scottish Cup final which surely had a big impact on numbers from both cities.

The game was no classic but a proper contest with big moments . Every try was a peach and just great to see outstanding performances from Bennet , Dean and Hoyland responding to the the coaching and confidence building of Blair and his team. I also thought Hamish Watson and Gilchrist were terrific .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun May 22, 2022 4:00 pm

Very much agree with the above. Some less informed comments here: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

I was a bit surprised that there were 'only' 25K there, but I hadn't thought about the football, which doubtless did indeed have an impact. Maybe the unpredictability of the trains at the moment put some from the West off too. Granted, they didn't have a great deal to shout about, but there seemed to be fewer of them than usual, which is a shame.

The only thought I'd add to what others have said is that Henry always seems to make a difference when he comes on. On the highlights, I noted that commentators were saying how having him around shows the depth that Edinburgh now have. Which is true. But I'd like to see him start against the Stormers, with Ben coming on late in the game.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun May 22, 2022 5:02 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
macdone wrote:Loved Hodgson's celebrations, you could see how much it meant to him. And WP Nel's performance at 36, what a legend.

Nel's dummyimg and over the head passing was amazing! What a guy.

Thought Crosbie was really back to his best.

Best project player ever? I can't think of anyone that comes close. One club man, intends to stay in Scotland for life, already started coaching at club level. And still a class player.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun May 22, 2022 6:40 pm

Martin Bell wrote:Very much agree with the above. Some less informed comments here: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

I was a bit surprised that there were 'only' 25K there, but I hadn't thought about the football, which doubtless did indeed have an impact. Maybe the unpredictability of the trains at the moment put some from the West off too. Granted, they didn't have a great deal to shout about, but there seemed to be fewer of them than usual, which is a shame.

The only thought I'd add to what others have said is that Henry always seems to make a difference when he comes on. On the highlights, I noted that commentators were saying how having him around shows the depth that Edinburgh now have. Which is true. But I'd like to see him start against the Stormers, with Ben coming on late in the game.

Your match report mentions the "what if" we win in Cape Town.Anyone able to confirm the winners have a home tie against Ulster or Munster (ie we could yet play again at The Dam this season)?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun May 22, 2022 6:57 pm

Semi-final 1 (SF1) - the winner of QF1 versus the winner of QF4. The winner of QF1 will be the ‘home’ Club unless Pro Rugby Championship determines otherwise.

Semi-final 2 (SF2) - the winner of QF2 versus the winner of QF3. The winner of QF2 will be the ‘home’ Club unless Pro Rugby Championship determines otherwise.

Think we are QF2 so I theory could be a home game although

"Unless Pro Rugby Championship determines it should be in Ireland"
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby monkey on Sun May 22, 2022 9:44 pm

Martin Bell wrote:The only thought I'd add to what others have said is that Henry always seems to make a difference when he comes on. On the highlights, I noted that commentators were saying how having him around shows the depth that Edinburgh now have. Which is true. But I'd like to see him start against the Stormers, with Ben coming on late in the game.

Yeah, I thought he was excellent again. I'm always really surprised he doesn't start for you guys more often.
monkey
World Cup Star

Postby monkey on Sun May 22, 2022 9:45 pm

And congrats!
monkey
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun May 22, 2022 10:07 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Semi-final 1 (SF1) - the winner of QF1 versus the winner of QF4. The winner of QF1 will be the ‘home’ Club unless Pro Rugby Championship determines otherwise.

Semi-final 2 (SF2) - the winner of QF2 versus the winner of QF3. The winner of QF2 will be the ‘home’ Club unless Pro Rugby Championship determines otherwise.

I thought that the highest ranked team always had home advantage in which case we will always be playing away?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun May 22, 2022 10:30 pm

doedin wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Semi-final 1 (SF1) - the winner of QF1 versus the winner of QF4. The winner of QF1 will be the ‘home’ Club unless Pro Rugby Championship determines otherwise.

I thought that the highest ranked team always had home advantage in which case we will always be playing away?

No mention of that on the website...although it does not always have all the details...could argue if ER or GW go to Cape Town or Dublin and win they earn the home SF.

https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/abou ... er%20Rugby.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon May 23, 2022 7:09 am

Looks like we will need to go to Dublin for the final still.

Stormers away is a pretty touh ask, but we are capable of winning. Just hope we havent got too many injuries from Saturday. Vellcott looked pretty sore, not sure if any others were noticable. I thought we coudl have got Schoe off a bit quicker, my heart was in my mouth when they were checking the attempted tackle.

Really good performance in Saturday, but we still need to be a bit more clinical, we had chances to really put the game to bed early and didnt wuite manage it. We still look more likely to score from 50m than 5m, something we need to sort out.

Every Glasgow lineout in our 22 gave me the fear too, our defence still isnt great and the Stormers wont be shy there.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon May 23, 2022 3:10 pm

Confirmed here that Edinburgh will be at home if they make it to the semi final. Same for Glasgow.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon May 23, 2022 5:12 pm

Tickets for Stormers really cheap, pity about the flights! Ah well telly it is.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum