Squad 22/23

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 22/23

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:34 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Brown looked like a good 6/8 when he played for Edinburgh, as said already im not sure he is big enough for the second row.

A good update on injuries from Mike Blair this morning, promising on Mata and Ritchie in particualr but also Venter and Immelman. De Bruin sounds like the one struggling a bit, which is in a position where we are already a bit light on quality. Hopefully Williams will get a bit more game time and continue to improve.

Interesting that Robbie Deans is also specifically name checked by Blair as well in that video, particularly given that De Bruin is the one that is furthest away from a return. Suggests we may see him feature in one of the pre-season games, at least to see if he’s anywhere near being able to make a small contribution this year. Still very young for a prop, especially a tighthead!

I think he mentioned Deans as he was asked about the academy. It doesn't sound like he's actually training with the team yet and Blair mentioned all 3 new academy lads in the answer (McConnell and Douglas).
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Croft_No.6 on Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:48 pm

How long is Bofelli's contract......
Croft_No.6
International

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:22 pm

Croft_No.6 wrote:How long is Bofelli's contract......

I assume it's up this coming season, we will need to dig deep to keep him.

He was absolutely top drawer today and the most important part of the Pumas' win against New Zealand.

The thing that impressed me most about Boff was not his play in the park for us, it was in the videos from the changing rooms after the games and how much he enjoyed the wins and how he really is a part of the squad, his emotions were intense and real.

On another note, I see we've signed 23 year old fly half Bruce Houston on a partnership with The Nails.
He's made one appearance for Ulster.

IIRC, Nathan Chamberlain was considered to be ahead of Ross Thompson for Scotland U20s
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:05 am

Not long enough! He is quality through and through. I imagine there was a few French eyes watching that game yesterday unfortunately.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:07 am

Tichtheid wrote:

He was absolutely top drawer today and the most important part of the Pumas' win against New Zealand.

The thing that impressed me most about Boff was not his play in the park for us, it was in the videos from the changing rooms after the games and how much he enjoyed the wins and how he really is a part of the squad, his emotions were intense and real.

On another note, I see we've signed 23 year old fly half Bruce Houston on a partnership with The Nails.

IIRC, Nathan Chamberlain was considered to be ahead of Ross Thompson for Scotland U20s

Wasn't Chamberlain just a year older and therefore further ahead in his development.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:30 am

JDCSR wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Wasn't Chamberlain just a year older and therefore further ahead in his development.

It’s the other way around, Chamberlain’s a year younger than Thompson
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:30 pm

It’s the other way around, Chamberlain’s a year younger than Thompson

Oh gosh right you are, apologies.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:59 am

Mike Blair stating that Duhan, Suzz and Muzza are all coming home.*

*May not have actually said this, did say he would work hard to stretch budget to get them is Worcester go belly up.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Croft_No.6 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:36 am

DVDM Linked with Racing 92 it seems
Croft_No.6
International

Postby liveinhope on Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:04 pm

I imagine racing could more readily give Duhan a contract along the lines of his current salary (widely publicised when he moved at c. 325k pa I think!). Much happier for Racing to take the load on that rather than Edinburgh/SRU budgets!
Clearly the Worcester situation needs to be sorted within the next 48/72 hours as my understanding is the players become free agents if they don't receive their August salaries by Wednesday.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:15 am

liveinhope wrote:I imagine racing could more readily give Duhan a contract along the lines of his current salary (widely publicised when he moved at c. 325k pa I think!). Much happier for Racing to take the load on that rather than Edinburgh/SRU budgets!
Clearly the Worcester situation needs to be sorted within the next 48/72 hours as my understanding is the players become free agents if they don't receive their August salaries by Wednesday.

Yep this is my understanding too. However I suspect any new owners will rather this happens and they take the point deduction and look to reduce the player wage bill. They will then step in asap and retain the players they need and can afford and use this season to re establish the club and squad on basis they will not be relegated anyway. I also understand that all other club staff other than players, coaches, physio etc have already been made redundant. New investors want to reduce running costs to bare minimum so they can start again. It is highly likely that big earners such as VdM and Suzza will not be retained.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:26 am

The new owners want the club put into administration before putting in an offer, I assume so they can do a deal with creditors rather than take on the full debt. But will almost certainly lead to relegation.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:01 pm

Duhan, Boff, Graham, Goosen is almost too good.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:05 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:The new owners want the club put into administration before putting in an offer, I assume so they can do a deal with creditors rather than take on the full debt. But will almost certainly lead to relegation.

I thought there wasn't any relegation these days from the Premiership?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 am

Hmm, cant remember if it was just for last season, but you may well be right.

in which case it does make more sense, write off the season and start again with no debt.

Apparently they are also looking to merge with Wasps, not sure of the benefits, when LS and Richmond "merged" with LI, it just meant 2 of them disappeared and the other saw little benefit.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum