Stormers v Edinburgh Sat 4 Jun 2022 6pm ko

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Stormers v Edinburgh Sat 4 Jun 2022 6pm ko

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:01 pm

Stormers are a decent team, I really like Roos and Gelant and their scrum is also very good.

Thought we were competitive as the away team, but let down by a couple of lapses.

Crosbie was arguably the best forward on the park.

Boffelli really is a class operator.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:11 pm

Good game - thought the ref allowed Stormers to come around off side too often at the breakdown though. However not a bad performance from the team and they will all be better for the experience. A few different breaks of the ball and we might have been in with a chance.

Good to see out pack front up to a very physical challenge - Crosbie was just superb and great to see him back at his best. Hopefully next season will see him really establish himself in the team and in Scottish set up, he is the big abrasive guy we need. Bennet also looked superb and is a really classy player, again expecting big things from him for Embra and Scotland.

Blair should be relatively pleased with his first season and the players have adapted well to his new style of play. With the new additions to the squad we seem to be on an upward trajectory. Onwards and upwards.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:14 pm

Boff outstanding. Crosbie has taken a step up to a level I haven't seen. We'll miss Maggie next year. Will have to hope Muncaster and Crosbie can fill the gap. I was impressed with our physicality in general. Frank Murphy doesn't know his scrums which didn't help us. But our set piece was rock solid.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:40 pm

Enjoyed that and proud of the guys. Short report now up: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:17 pm

Great stuff Martin, I always enjoy your reports.

I think Maggie has really stepped up in recent weeks and has regained the form he had before that shoulder injury against Toulon. It will only be good for Scottish rugby if he carries that on at Bristol, the very best of luck to him in his new challenge.

Edinburgh still have good options with, in no particular order, Big Bill, Haining, Kunavula and Muncaster all very good 8s. Personally I'd be looking at Crosbie for the 8 shirt too, he is a good line out jumper, he has bags of pace, is a big ball carrier who can carry through heavy traffic, he has very good hands, his defence is excellent and he's good over the ball- I just don't get why he is not seen as an option at 8.

Anyway, I hope we get a clean bill of health and a good start to next season
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:19 pm

macdone wrote:Boff outstanding. Crosbie has taken a step up to a level I haven't seen. We'll miss Maggie next year. Will have to hope Muncaster and Crosbie can fill the gap. I was impressed with our physicality in general. Frank Murphy doesn't know his scrums which didn't help us. But our set piece was rock solid.

Agreed on all points.

I do wonder how long WP can carry on, he is, of course nothing short of heroic, but we need new Scottish blood in the most important position on the park
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:10 am

Disappointing to lose as I thought we were right in that and literally the bounce of the ball was the difference.

All about learning and that’s a few games this year where we have been right in it and not managed to get over the line.

Some really good performances, we really missed having Venter and De Bruin to keep the momentum. Really noticeable how easy it was to make yards very Galashiels but the weight of tackle from the Stormers was a different level. We still don’t clear rucks as brutally as other teams, we need to be harder there as there always seems to be a few preventable turnovers.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:36 am

Nothing to disagree with in the comments above - I also always enjoy the Martin Bell reports. Close but no cigar, but certainly something to build on for next season. Lost to a very good side - be interesting to see how they go against Ulster.

Boffelli just outstanding.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:39 am

macdone wrote:Boff outstanding. Crosbie has taken a step up to a level I haven't seen. We'll miss Maggie next year. Will have to hope Muncaster and Crosbie can fill the gap. I was impressed with our physicality in general. Frank Murphy doesn't know his scrums which didn't help us. But our set piece was rock solid.

We'll have Mata and Ritchie back next year so whilst Bradbury will be a loss there's more than enough quality.

Crosbie was superb. Was a good performance against a good team. I think the competition is a bit weird but was fun to watch the Stormers go well.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:03 am

Thought Hoyland also worth highlighting,super game and very impressive by his boot!
But really no bad pergormanc and we were right in it till the end especially the Bennett break and Boffelli,s punt through that could have fallen perfectly for us.
I think we can look forward very positively to next season.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:12 pm

We have a good account of ourselves and team can return with self respect . They will be disappointed that they never really got much flow and phases through the back line such was the speed of press from the Stormers. Greasy ball too seemed to inhibit handling and individual breaks were exciting but perhaps sometimes a shade late in offloading to support runners. Overall huge respect for this squad of players who will only get stronger together.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:45 pm

liveinhope wrote:Thought Hoyland also worth highlighting,super game and very impressive by his boot!
But really no bad pergormanc and we were right in it till the end especially the Bennett break and Boffelli,s punt through that could have fallen perfectly for us.
I think we can look forward very positively to next season.

It will be very interesting to watch Blair grow as coach and Kinghorn another year at 10. Good recruitment too with Skinner and Goosen coming in. Kept most players aside from Bradbury and Bofelli will be learning English and growing into life in Scotland every day too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:57 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

Agreed on all points.

I do wonder how long WP can carry on, he is, of course nothing short of heroic, but we need new Scottish blood in the most important position on the park

I agree 100% on the value of tighthead. To get anywhere against the SA and Irish teams you need to match them up front. Just look at the impact of Glasgow's reversing scrum had vs Leinster (amongst other things). We're a Nel injury away from having an issue vs the very best. Ideal world I'd like to see an upgrade on de Bruin or Atalifo as we develop guys like Gamble. That and Jamie Dobie and I'd be over the moon.
macdone
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum