Six Nations 2017

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Six Nations 2017

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:03 am

The Italians scored against every other team in the 6Nations. We cobbled together a team with what 8 of what would have been our first choices at the start of the competition unavailable.
Rewatched the game this morning and the reviews this evening Scrum V and network. Some thoughts off the top of my head.
1. Total disregard for Scotlands general improvement. The England pish is an excuse to ignore all the good Scotland individual performances.
2 Wales score 8 tries and Scotland score 15, That idiot Jones in the Times can't even pick 1 Scot, yet picks countless Welshmen despite Wales finishing below Scotland in the Championship.
3. ITV should not be allowed to show 6 Nations games ever. Their coverage was so England biased it would make Bill McLaren turn in his grave. There are more people watch the 6 Nations that are not English.
4, Constant references over the last week in particular about Stuart Hogg's defensive deficiencies are out of order considering the efforts he made yesterday.
5, Ireland showed that if you do not have the ball you cannot win matches. Does that mean no English player should be chosen?
6, BBC representation on the review show had Guscott, Wood and Phillips as a panel, where was a Scottish player representative?

No wonder I am of the opinion that the Lions are an a anachronism.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 am

I thought that was a pretty professional if unspectacular performance. Off the back of a humiliating defeat I am not surprised we did not quite show the flair we had against Ireland and Wales. The result was the most important thing and we got that comfortably in the end and gave ourselves the chance to finish 2nd. Any disappointment for me is that 4th does perhaps not reflect the improvement we have seen in the team, if we are every injury free we have some genuine strength, depth in some positions, but the injuries have really allowed Fagerson to develop and Dell as well which has to be good for GW, ER and Scotland going forward.

Do think too many of our forwards carry off a standing start, would like to see some running on to the ball giving the SH some options around the ruck. Maul defence is still a struggle for us more than others for some reason, not sure how we address that but teams make ground too easily against us.

For the ER contingent

Watson – really good 6N for him, glad we got him signed up for another 2 years

Ford – though he had a decent game, lost the first lineout but I don’t get why you would call the 1st throw of the game long in the wind and rain bit like the RWC SF why go with the high risk ball.

DuPreez - Seen a bit of disappointment around DuPreez in various places which I think is pretty ridiculous for someone that has had two sub appearances against arguably two of the best number 8s around. Thought he made his tackles, controlled the back of the scrum well and made some yards off the base a couple times. As DL said Strauss and others took a while to get up to speed with Internationals CDP should be afforded, at the very least, a full 80mins. Expectations that we will come on and dominate against the some of the best number 8s around is a bit unrealistic.

Gilchrist – Thought he did pretty well, possibly a better performance then we have seen in an ER jersey this season.

Dell – I don’t think he looks out of place at international level, really dynamic in the loose, do we trade off a bit of that for him bulking up for the scrum?

Berghan – Scrummed pretty well as we know he can, looks like someone who maybe needs to be playing regularly to keep his fitness up.

Weir – Not had much opportunity, but been ok when playing even at fullback, as with ER always gives everything.

Lastly think Cotter has done a great job, can see the team really wanting to play for him and each other. As a team we are possible greater than the sum of the parts and with Russell, Hogg and Jones we have some proper game breakers that can make the difference, really hope we don’t regret letting him go.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am

Oldsalt wrote:The Italians scored against every other team in the 6Nations. We cobbled together a team with what 8 of what would have been our first choices at the start of the competition unavailable.
Rewatched the game this morning and the reviews this evening Scrum V and network. Some thoughts off the top of my head.
1. Total disregard for Scotlands general improvement. The England pish is an excuse to ignore all the good Scotland individual performances.
2 Wales score 8 tries and Scotland score 15, That idiot Jones in the Times can't even pick 1 Scot, yet picks countless Welshmen despite Wales finishing below Scotland in the Championship.
3. ITV should not be allowed to show 6 Nations games ever. Their coverage was so England biased it would make Bill McLaren turn in his grave. There are more people watch the 6 Nations that are not English.
4, Constant references over the last week in particular about Stuart Hogg's defensive deficiencies are out of order considering the efforts he made yesterday.
5, Ireland showed that if you do not have the ball you cannot win matches. Does that mean no English player should be chosen?
6, BBC representation on the review show had Guscott, Wood and Phillips as a panel, where was a Scottish player representative?

Jones is now a professional troll.

To be fair I was surprised to see Phillips correctly pick Seymour on the wing.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Oldsalt wrote:The Italians scored against every other team in the 6Nations. We cobbled together a team with what 8 of what would have been our first choices at the start of the competition unavailable.

We're not always on the same page but I feel that's fair except your lions remark
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Fair enough Gary. I suspect that Gatland will make a similar selection to last time which was anyone but a Scot.
This tour you could have the following in the squad J Gray, Watson, Finn, Seymour and Hogg in the party. Only Hoggy is in anyone's starting selection but all the others would bring something different. Let's see who Gatland picks as a squad and then have another think on it.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Oldsalt wrote:Fair enough Gary. I suspect that Gatland will make a similar selection to last time which was anyone but a Scot.
This tour you could have the following in the squad J Gray, Watson, Finn, Seymour and Hogg in the party. Only Hoggy is in anyone's starting selection but all the others would bring something different. Let's see who Gatland picks as a squad and then have another think on it.

I'd like to see Watson beast the dirt trackers
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:18 pm

GaryIPA wrote:I'd like to see Watson beast the dirt trackers

I'd like to see him beast the test side.

You're maybe being more realistic than me, I suppose.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:58 am

If we are going to challenge New Zealand at the breakdown we need a quick 7 for me that is Tipuric or Watson. SOB is more a 6 and Haskell I don’t think is as good as the others

Tipuric has the advantage in that he plays for Wales so Gatland will probably go with Warburton who Is not even the best 7 in Wales
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:52 am

Oldsalt wrote:Fair enough Gary. I suspect that Gatland will make a similar selection to last time which was anyone but a Scot.

To be fair, and I hate defending Gatland but he picked Gray Snr when he had literally not played since week 4 of the 6N that year until the Lions tour.

I don't remember too many Scots being hard done to last time. Ryan Grant was but the other LHPs picked were good on that tour so maybe the coaches were right.

Maybe one of the back rowers?

I can't remember Gatland, as a HC, ignoring too many Scottish options. 4 years was a long time ago.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:28 am

Mako RolyPoly was man shamed everytime he went near a scrum on the last tour. To be fair he has learnt how to drive at an angle now so he is much better.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:26 pm

The Australian view on the Team of the Tournament...

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/six-na ... mpionship/
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Re. Lions selection, I heard a rumour that Gatland has asked Vern to participate in the discussions about the squad selection to bring a Scottish perspective to a management team that has none. Not sure if true, but if it is then fair play to Gatland, this is a sensible move in a year when we were one England try against Wales away form all four home nations finishing on the same points in the championship.

I think Brown, J Gray, R Gray, Watson, Russell, Jones, Seymore and Hogg have all put their hands up for consideration (Maitland will likely be in there as well as a Kiwi who Gatland is known to admire and real shame about Nel who would have gone but for injury). I would be disappointed if we take up less than 5 seats on the plane out of that lot. let's see, only 29 days to go!!
Cornell for President and Nel for Messiah!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Jones needs hammy surgery. Will miss which ever summer tour he was going to get picked for.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 pm

BigD163 wrote:Jones needs hammy surgery. Will miss which ever summer tour he was going to get picked for.

Pretty concerning absolutely nothing has come out about Bennett's injury.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:Jones needs hammy surgery. Will miss which ever summer tour he was going to get picked for.

Pretty concerning absolutely nothing has come out about Bennett's injury.

Yes, I was thinking that when I read the news about Jones. Hope Taylor is back and firing for the summer tour or could be down to our 4th choice 13, or playing someone out of position if Bennett's is serious.
Cornell for President and Nel for Messiah!
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat