Super Six

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Super Six

Postby gowrie on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:59 pm

The South twitter account saying 6 of 7 Border clubs met up recently to discuss putting up a joint bid. No mention of who didn't go, but great news if they can make it happen.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:14 am

One interesting thing for me is how the SRU plan to monitor the payment (or non payment as it will be) of players from the clubs not in the Super 6.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:08 pm

https://theoffsideline.com/2017/11/24/e ... lications/

Interesting interview. Admittedly he has an incentive to paint a bleak picture to big up the changes, but it's hard not to agree with the appraisal of the Premiership as it stands right now. It has definitely improved, but if we want to sustain recent improvements, I think he's right we've got to make some fairly big changes.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:26 pm

gowrie wrote:The South twitter account saying 6 of 7 Border clubs met up recently to discuss putting up a joint bid. No mention of who didn't go, but great news if they can make it happen.

The mission team are the nets who think they should go it alone. Not too hard to figure out who that's is!

I think the Super 6 idea is extremely dangerous and could have a devastating effect on some clubs.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Looks like the requirement for a fixed ground with undermine the joint Borders bid. Same old refusal to back anything that's not your own town. Meanwhile Melrose will hoover up. They never learn
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:09 pm

BigD163 wrote:One interesting thing for me is how the SRU plan to monitor the payment (or non payment as it will be) of players from the clubs not in the Super 6.

Wouldn't this be fairly straight forward via the club accounts?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 pm

ratty wrote:Looks like the requirement for a fixed ground with undermine the joint Borders bid. Same old refusal to back anything that's not your own town. Meanwhile Melrose will hoover up. They never learn

You know that "Aye" followed by an exhaling of breath?

That's what's appropriate here
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
BigD163 wrote:One interesting thing for me is how the SRU plan to monitor the payment (or non payment as it will be) of players from the clubs not in the Super 6.

There will be ways round that. Sponsors paying players for example. I'd be 99.9% sure some prem clubs and some lower down will have players earning more than travel expenses.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:11 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

There will be ways round that. Sponsors paying players for example. I'd be 99.9% sure some prem clubs and some lower down will have players earning more than travel expenses.

there will be other ways to check, and anyone risking paying risks leaks.

Getting round it is clearly cheating other teams - the SRU have defined paying players very clearly as a serious offence; ie we are talking more than suspensions; point deductions or relegation if caught. I would impose relegation plus next season deduct every point gained with a paid player involved as a minimum sanction plus a fine equivalent to a minimum of 2 times what the player was paid and make that clear up front, including that it is a minimum.
We either take it seriously or we dont.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 pm

ratty wrote:Looks like the requirement for a fixed ground with undermine the joint Borders bid. Same old refusal to back anything that's not your own town. Meanwhile Melrose will hoover up. They never learn

Anyone know why there is a requirement for a fixed ground? Not as if there is likely to be a need for a huge amount of corporate or tv cameras.

Melrose will get it as they are already semi pro. I would suggest that if the SRU were checking accounts they may want to check all of the accounts of Melrose, not just the main one.

The accusation of Borders fans not travelling is not fair. How many Heriots supporters would go to watch a Watsonians team? Or Ayr going up to watch a West team? It just wont happen regularly. The Reivers were different.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 am

I assumed the joint Borders bid would be branded as the South or something similar to the Reivers, this is exactly what Borders fans wouldn't travel to support.

Club supporters in Edinburgh and Glasgow would be more likely to support an Edinburgh or Glasgow branded semi pro team playing at one ground - imho that's the difference.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:

Anyone know why there is a requirement for a fixed ground? Not as if there is likely to be a need for a huge amount of corporate or tv cameras.

There are some other rules that are also quite rigid. It could be a problem. Why not allowing players of the 6 teams to play also for clubs ? Why not drafting pro players in the 6 teams ?
I wanted for a long time to see an Edinburgh A team being developped (and play games against irish or english counterparts) but that has not been done. Why doing it at the very moment where we're starting this ?
I don't like too much the way Dodson is speaking of this (he gives too much credit to himself, and not much not the clubs) but the idea could still be interesting.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:33 am

germain wrote: Why not drafting pro players in the 6 teams ?

I believe this was changed after the consultation and pro players will now play for the teams.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:26 pm

biffer wrote:
germain wrote: Why not drafting pro players in the 6 teams ?

I believe this was changed after the consultation and pro players will now play for the teams.

Yeah, it was changed. Good decision. I still don't understand though why they were reluctant to do it... If the Pro 6 is something like a bridge beetwen professionnal and amateur worlds, then players from both parts should be able to play in, and easily. It should be a bridge, not a wall or a border !

And if the rule about the home pitch was changed or softened, some borders sides could cooperate to build one team. Even if Melrose was trying to do it all by themselves, there are other teams which could be tempted...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:38 pm

The borders teams will never come to an agreement.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat