Grant Gilchrist

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Grant Gilchrist

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:10 am

joe soap wrote:FFS. You don't build a set piece in a fortnight. And when you have it doesn't disappear overnight. MacFarland takes a nobody pack to one nobody disses. Next season they win the league with the best platform in the league.
Meanwhile he is at Glasgow who dismantle Leicester, Cockerill, Cole, Genges and all.
Glasgow then get the fraudster Humphreys, falter big time, yet after a few Scotland sessions all seems fine again.

Different take eh? Cockerill has been very good, he has inherited a maturing and improving squad and is producing the goods. I have confidence he is the coach to take Edinburgh forward. I also have no illusions that TH is spot on regarding Macfarland and set piece coaching, you need to be a total numptie to think otherwise.

Around the park, do any of the self proclaimed experts on here understand where the forwards coach remit ends, the attack coach or the defence coach remits start?

Set piece coaching you need to look into why the line out is faltering then.

And set piece isn't where GG, Rambo et al have excelled. It's around the park - not sure you can lash McFarland with credit for that.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Set piece coaching you need to look into why the line out is faltering then.

And set piece isn't where GG, Rambo et al have excelled. It's around the park - not sure you can lash McFarland with credit for that.

So, where did I lash MacFarland with credit for their work around the park?
Oh, I did't, I asked if anyone understands where the forwards coach remit ends, the attack coach or the defence coach remits start.
Lineout had a wobble last week, it was secure yesterday and nicked at least one. But the major point is scrum and maul, where Scotland were expected to struggle both weeks, and haven't despite being 8 front rows short. No credit for MacFarland for that?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 am

our lineout performed pretty much the same as the other countries over the weekend, bar Italy. Only Ireland won all of their own ball. it’s too early to break out the full stats after two rounds, but losing one of our own and nicking one of theirs wasn’t too bad, though annoying at the time.
It will be interesting to tot up the lineout stats at the end of the tournament,
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Tichtheid wrote:our lineout performed pretty much the same as the other countries over the weekend, bar Italy. Only Ireland won all of their own ball. it’s too early to break out the full stats after two rounds, but losing one of our own and nicking one of theirs wasn’t too bad, though annoying at the time.
It will be interesting to tot up the lineout stats at the end of the tournament,

I agree with you. Even then I think line out failure isn't always the thrower or jumpers fault.

The slightly concerning thing for me is how many of our line outs are comfortable and we are not getting "easy" free men in the air. Last week there were a couple that even if Rambo had thrown perfectly we'd have lost. The same happened yesterday the one we lost even though underthrown would have been stolen if perfect.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Tichtheid wrote:our lineout performed pretty much the same as the other countries over the weekend, bar Italy. Only Ireland won all of their own ball. it’s too early to break out the full stats after two rounds, but losing one of our own and nicking one of theirs wasn’t too bad, though annoying at the time.

There's ups and downs I guess. Rambo only lost 1 through the 3 games in the Autumn Tests which was outstanding. Not quite at the same level in the 6 Nations yet so maybe suffering a little in comparison to those previous performances rather than a 'normal' level of lineout success.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Its a wee bit like a "missed" penalty in football, sometimes its a good save.

Similarly vs Wales, they are a very good lineout unit and seemed to be reading us. To be fair sometimes you have to admit they got it right. The underthrow was a little under powered but it was still a very good steal. Tollis steals a lot of ball in the league, doesn't mean all of them are the fault of the thrower/jumper/lifter. They have the advantage of timing but he gambles and by a mix of luck, judgement and skill sometimes nicks them.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Really good insight into stats are given on The 1014 Rugby Show. The two lads that present it are pretty neutral
The breakdown of all last weekends matches was pretty good. They post vids on YouTube and an app is available from the usual outlets.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to All other rugby chat