Pro 14 Success in both cups

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Pro 14 Success in both cups

Postby BruceLee on Sun May 13, 2018 10:25 am

Would like to congratulate both Cardiff and Leinster on their success in the Challenge and Champions cup respectfully.This might now open the English and French eyes to the fact, that we now have a competitive set up and will continue to thrive at the Big table.Hopefully we can take a few big scalps next season and progress further;onwards and upwards.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Re: Pro 14 Success in both cups

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun May 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Hope so,likely the reaction in England and France will be to throw more money at it and blame the international game for,tiring players.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun May 13, 2018 4:10 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Hope so,likely the reaction in England and France will be to throw more money at it and blame the international game for,tiring players.

Some of the spivs already muttering about a change of format.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun May 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Really doesn't surprise me, they will probably get their way too!

What are they wanting to do?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun May 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Most common reaction at Pro14 side's success could be : their domestic competition is SteveWalsh, so they can rest their players to concentrate on Europen games... People rarely lack of arguments of bad faith.

Anyway, I'm quite happy of Leinster and Cardiff successes. You just want the next one to be a scottish one !
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Congratulations to both Leinster & Cardiff, indeed. Given the disparity in TV money between the French, English and Pro14 it's quite a remarkable achievement. Yes, teams in our league can rest players, but they can in the other leagues as well, and do. The relegation argument doesn't apply to the teams in the Champions Cup either, there's no danger of them being demoted. Our league can still improve, and I think is doing so year on year. The English will no doubt come up with their usual excuses, but perhaps they need to look at their own house instead of girning about how Pro14 sides can manage themselves.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Fanscene on Sun May 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Personally I think the English clubs brought this on themselves!

When they forced the BTSport deal through, they insisted on PRO14 going to a meritocracy for Champions Cup. I have to admit that even though Edinburgh lost out it wa# the correct thing to do. By doing so the PRO14 clubs developed greater resilience and battle hardened players, which improved our KO and European potential.

The only moan They have now is relegation.

With our new TV deal increasing our revenue, I think the PRO14 is going in the right direction. It’s also a better watch most of the time compared to the attritional English Premiership
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun May 20, 2018 8:02 pm

The relegation thing is nonsense as well. Their Heineken Cup teams are hardly ever in any danger of relegation.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed May 23, 2018 12:41 pm

robdinsdale wrote:The relegation thing is nonsense as well. Their Heineken Cup teams are hardly ever in any danger of relegation.

but there are the usual candidates, who cannot rotate as much because they are constantly fighting relegation. Its a viscious circle for promoted teams and lower/mid table clubs, only Exeter have broken free for more than a season or so.

Other posters need to distinguish between spin and what the Eng premiership clubs really want - most of he big boys have wanted a ring fenced premiership for years They just need to get the right teams inside he circle (very close next season) and to get it through the RFU and especially championship clubs. There are very few of the latter now with aspirations to the premiership..........
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm

joe soap wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:The relegation thing is nonsense as well. Their Heineken Cup teams are hardly ever in any danger of relegation.

but there are the usual candidates, who cannot rotate as much because they are constantly fighting relegation. Its a viscious circle for promoted teams and lower/mid table clubs, only Exeter have broken free for more than a season or so.

Those teams aren't in the big boys' cup though.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Return to All other rugby chat