2019 Six Nations

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 2019 Six Nations

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:51 am

zt1903 wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Who’s the number 8 solution then, Strauss doesn’t look like it at the moment

With current injury list Strauss is best option, he didn’t play badly at all yesterday. I believe his 29 tackles is a record for a Scotland international.

Longer term, even though we’ve yet to see him in blue, I think that Blade Thomson looks like he could do the business.

Record for Scotland in the 6N I think. ESPN still have him at 25 made and 5 missed.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm

zt1903 wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Who’s the number 8 solution then, Strauss doesn’t look like it at the moment

With current injury list Strauss is best option, he didn’t play badly at all yesterday. I believe his 29 tackles is a record for a Scotland international.

Longer term, even though we’ve yet to see him in blue, I think that Blade Thomson looks like he could do the business.

And that s a fair point
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Perhaps more concerning than the player errors is the game plans.

It is widely known that a missed tackle in our defensive system is extremely punishing. We continue to miss >10% of tackles per game. Why hasn't this been rectified? Two of their tries came from defensive errors in the middle third of the field. If they can't tackle why not build in a bit of protection? Is Laidlaw too slow to sweep?

In attack, we are so inventive and play at speed until we get close to the line then in becomes slow and turgid with seemingly little attempt to play quicker? Why? How often do we score from slowing it down and passing to a forward to hit it up that close to the line?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm

It is frustrating we do tend to score nice tries and lineout maul tries rather than the grind it out forward tries. If Russell had not made the pop to Johnson in support and held onto it instead you could see us not converting that break into a try.

It is difficult to generate quick ball and release the backs when so close in it but it also looks very unlikely we will muscle our way over. Maybe a decent set backs move, like Irelands that released Stockdale, would work it may not even need to be a clean break from 5m out running at the space between defenders the momentum may get you over the line.

I think Russells game management is much improved since moving to Racing and wonder if there is still the need for Laidlaw to control from 9, if we are going to play fast, do we go all in with G Horne at 9 and maybe even Darcy Graham on the bench particularly against the French who we know struggle for fitness?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:It is frustrating we do tend to score nice tries and lineout maul tries rather than the grind it out forward tries. If Russell had not made the pop to Johnson in support and held onto it instead you could see us not converting that break into a try.

It is difficult to generate quick ball and release the backs when so close in it but it also looks very unlikely we will muscle our way over. Maybe a decent set backs move, like Irelands that released Stockdale, would work it may not even need to be a clean break from 5m out running at the space between defenders the momentum may get you over the line.

I think Russells game management is much improved since moving to Racing and wonder if there is still the need for Laidlaw to control from 9, if we are going to play fast, do we go all in with G Horne at 9 and maybe even Darcy Graham on the bench particularly against the French who we know struggle for fitness?

It is difficult to get quick ball, but as you say there are some options.

We tend to revert to nothing other than pop and crash, pop and pass then crash. Few switches, or changes of angles. Why no attempt at setting up a maul? Get a forward or 3 on Russell's outside etc. Any thing but the tame pop and crash.

Hopefully Wilson/Townsend is looking at ways for the forwards to improve in that area.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Not a big Wilson fan but he's been showing up this time round. Any early indication how long he's about for?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 pm

I think it is more to do with our ball presentation and ruck clearance than the speed of pass.

Im coming round to trusting Russell to run a game, but I think for that to happen he is better with Horne next to him, which may well happen in Paris.

Given how poor France were at dealing with kicks, I think I woudl still with Laidlaw for this one, he has the edge on the others there.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Getting up at 3am in New Zealand to watch simple mistakes is not my idea of fun. Just about every match so far has been influenced by personal errors. England are the only team who look like they want to win the 6 Nations. The others to me appear to be using it as training runs in preparation for the World Cup.
Much as I like J Gray wtf was he doing playing the full match leaving one of Europe’s best line out operators warming the bench. Gray should be playing for Glasgow before he gets near the international side, he was definitely sluggish,
wonder what his states were, not his norm I bet.
If France are questionable under the high ball then surely Henry Purgos should be back in the reckoning, he’s been doing it pretty well for Edinburgh this season.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Oldsalt wrote:Getting up at 3am in New Zealand to watch simple mistakes is not my idea of fun. Just about every match so far has been influenced by personal errors. England are the only team who look like they want to win the 6 Nations. The others to me appear to be using it as training runs in preparation for the World Cup.
Much as I like J Gray wtf was he doing playing the full match leaving one of Europe’s best line out operators warming the bench. Gray should be playing for Glasgow before he gets near the international side, he was definitely sluggish,
wonder what his states were, not his norm I bet.
If France are questionable under the high ball then surely Henry Purgos should be back in the reckoning, he’s been doing it pretty well for Edinburgh this season.

Were you pished when you watched the games?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Sounds like Hogg out for 6N and possibly the season. Bit of a nightmare for both Scotland and Glasgow.

Big opportunity for Blair though, Hogg arrived in similar circumstances and he has to take this chance.

Trying to find a positive it helps to add depth? (Not sure i believe that!)
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:59 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Sounds like Hogg out for 6N and possibly the season. Bit of a nightmare for both Scotland and Glasgow.

Big opportunity for Blair though, Hogg arrived in similar circumstances and he has to take this chance.

Trying to find a positive it helps to add depth? (Not sure i believe that!)

Well, as Mark Palmer has tweeted, it does resolve the issue of who to play out of Seymour, Maitland and Kinghorn. . .
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Hmm, Im sure GT is delighted to have that weight lifted!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Hmm, Im sure GT is delighted to have that weight lifted!

Maybe not Rennie though?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 am

Joe Soap, definitely not. The thread is titled 2019 Six Nations and that is what my post was about. If you wish to disagree with anything then please use facts. If you thought J Gray was his normal efficient self then that is up to you.
I made no reference to Scotland but ALL teams have made unforced error which ultimately decided matches. If you think Scotland’s missed tackle count/handling errors were not a factor in losing against an underperforming Ireland then we will not get far in RWC 2019. 8)
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Oldsalt wrote:Joe Soap, definitely not. The thread is titled 2019 Six Nations and that is what my post was about. If you wish to disagree with anything then please use facts. If you thought J Gray was his normal efficient self then that is up to you.
I made no reference to Scotland but ALL teams have made unforced error which ultimately decided matches. If you think Scotland’s missed tackle count/handling errors were not a factor in losing against an underperforming Ireland then we will not get far in RWC 2019. 8)

keep digging.

Gray made 24 tackles, none missed.
Our tackle completion rate was the same as England's when they beat Ireland and much better than when they thrashed France.

Facts pal. Try them.
Of course we made mistakes, too many and yes one of the locks (probably Gray) should have been subbed for fresh legs show me where I said or inferred otherwise, there's a good chap.

Oh, and England didn't beat France by box kicking them to death. They beat a clueless team (who largely stayed in the changing room that has been lost by the coach) by repeatedly kicking behind the two centres picked to play on the wings and the the winger playing full back. You were so wide of the mark on this that I gave you the benefit of the doubt and asked oif you had been sober. Now I'm not convinced you saw the game.
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat