Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

Postby sammy on Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:10 pm

I think he just trusts some players more, which is understandable given the mess we were in when he took over. Seems to have acknowledged he overplayed certain players last year. Also think his the circle of trust is growing , and slow and steady introduction from the wider squad seems to be working. Taylor's been a revelation to me. Will be disappointed if Sutherland doesn't start get more game time soon though.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:38 pm

Scotland v England match preview part 1 for the Scottish Rugby Blog:

- English dominance of territory;
- lack of composure in the red zone;
- Scotland's regular ref returns.

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2020/02/scotland-v-england-six-nations-2020-match-preview-pt-i/
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:56 pm

disco wrote:Scotland v England match preview part 1 for the Scottish Rugby Blog:

- English dominance of territory;
- lack of composure in the red zone;
- Scotland's regular ref returns.

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2020/02/scotland-v-england-six-nations-2020-match-preview-pt-i/

Cheers disco, is Pascal Gauzere the ref that Wee Greeg openly complained about immediately after a game last season? It was very unlike Laidlaw and, imo, justified. If I recall correctly it was the scrum in particular that had decisions popping out of nowhere, certainly not from what was happening on the park.

On second thoughts that might have been Romain Poite
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:59 pm

You know how sweary words are converted to referees’ names automatically here?

It would be good if the reverse happened too and “Romain Poite” came out as, well, ye know
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:40 pm

To face England

Sutherland, Brown, Fagerson, Gray, Cummings, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury
Price, Hastings, Kinghorn, Johnson, Jones, Maitland, Hogg
McInally, Dell, Berghan, Toolis, Haining, Horne, Hutchinson, Harris

I'm gutted for Matt Scott, though Johnson had a good game and that bench offers a fair amount of flexibility.

Haining didn't do anything wrong, this is most likely a return to Plan A
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Tichtheid wrote:To face England

Sutherland, Brown, Fagerson, Gray, Cummings, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury
Price, Hastings, Kinghorn, Johnson, Jones, Maitland, Hogg
McInally, Dell, Berghan, Toolis, Haining, Horne, Hutchinson, Harris

I'm gutted for Matt Scott, though Johnson had a good game and that bench offers a fair amount of flexibility.

Haining didn't do anything wrong, this is most likely a return to Plan A

Agree on Scott, while Johnson did nothing wrong, I would like to have seen Scott at 12, in his current form running down Fords channel may have be an opportunity for front foot ball, which of course Johnson may still provide.

Haining is a bit unlucky given how well he went, but a bit of pressure/competition for Bradbury to go out and at least match the performance/physicality of Haining last week is a good thing.

Tricky one as to whether you reward those that performed well last week or, when we have a fit squad, make tactical changes for each match. Need to hope the coaches know what they are doing…
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:23 pm

Scotland v England match preview part 2 for the Scottish Rugby Blog:

- Head to heads;
- Scotland size advantage;
- England's dodgy run that kicked off at Murrayfield.

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2020/02/scotland-v-england-six-nations-2020-match-preview-pt-ii-head-to-heads/
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:53 pm

A few more stats with the Calcutta Cup in numbers:

https://scrummagazine.com/calcutta-cup-in-numbers/

Sample:
14 – the number of years BT Murrayfield had waited to see a Scottish try in a Calcutta Cup match when Huw Jones crossed in 2018 (since Simon Danielli in 2004).
disco
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:09 pm

Poor decisions on field today, who the LawrenceBryce calls line outs to the tail in this weather, arrogance or idiocy amounts to the same.

Another game there for the winning that we conspired to lose.

I thought we.competed physically today but same old.same old lacked the top 2 inches and execution. Sick of this falling to convert good chances into wins.

Edit: will add our second rows do not provide anywhere near enough carry threat, tackle all they like, the go forward is pish who ever is selected carry low flop to ground and repeat
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Poor decisions on field today, who the LawrenceBryce calls line outs to the tail in this weather, arrogance or idiocy amounts to the same.

Another game there for the winning that we conspired to lose.

I thought we.competed physically today but same old.same old lacked the top 2 inches and execution. Sick of this falling to convert good chances into wins.

Edit: will add our second rows do not provide anywhere near enough carry threat, tackle all they like, the go forward is pish who ever is selected carry low flop to ground and repeat

Thought Cummings carried well. But everyone was so tight you're running into two England players at least.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:24 am

3m from 4 carries for cummings yesterday per ESPN
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Interesting piece (well I think so) on rugby pass on our attack

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-glar ... as-to-stop
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:17 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Interesting piece (well I think so) on rugby pass on our attack

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-glar ... as-to-stop

I think we have to vary the attack to keep the defence honest, if the opposition know we are going to swing it wide they will be set up to defend it. Overall I agree with the article, we are doing the same thing over and over.

As an aside, Matt Scott and George Taylor have both been very effective picking a strong cross running line for Edinburgh from a maul this season
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 pm

It does seem to be one extreme or the other. Variety is what will make a difference I think.

it is probably where we are missing Finn, Hastings is young and won want to make mistakes so possibly wont demand the ball like Finn would. Having said that I can picture Finn trying suicidal passes in his 22 and pointless kicks 5m out!

My other gripe is we rarely get a head of steam up for the carrier, we just kind of lumber into the defence. Bradbury needs to get some momentum up like Bill and The Schoe do.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Team for Italy

Scotland: Hogg (capt); Maitland, Harris, Johnson, Kinghorn; Hastings, Price; Sutherland, McInally, Fagerson, Cummings, Toolis, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury.

Replacements: Brown, Dell, Nel, Gilchrist, Fagerson, Horne, Hutchinson, McGuigan.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat