Summer tour 2022

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Summer tour 2022

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:35 am

Scotland squad
Forwards: Ewan Ashman (Sale), Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow), Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh), Dave Cherry (Edinburgh), Andy Christie (Saracens), Luke Crosbie (Edinburgh), Scott Cummings (Glasgow), Rory Darge (Glasgow), Matt Fagerson (Glasgow), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh), Jonny Gray (Exeter), Jamie Hodgson (Edinburgh), Ben Muncaster, Pierre Schoeman (both Edinburgh), Javan Sebastian (Scarlets), Sam Skinner (Exeter), Rory Sutherland (Worcester), George Turner (Glasgow), Murphy Walker (Glasgow), Hamish Watson (Edinburgh), Glen Young (Edinburgh)

Backs: Mark Bennett, Matt Currie, Darcy Graham (all Edinburgh), Adam Hastings (Gloucester), George Horne (Glasgow), Damian Hoyland (Edinburgh), Rory Hutchinson (Northampton), Sam Johnson (Glasgow), Huw Jones (Harlequins), Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh), Rufus McLean, Ali Price (both Glasgow), Kyle Rowe (London Irish), Ollie Smith, Ross Thompson, Sione Tuipulotu (all Glasgow), Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester), Ben White (London Irish)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Summer tour 2022

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:45 pm

No one can convince me that Dean hasn't been shafted for a squad place,
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:36 pm

BigD163 wrote:No one can convince me that Dean hasn't been shafted for a squad place,

Destined to be another Roddy Grant.

Don't think Sam Johnson has been playing that well but does have significant credit in bank. Good to see Hutchinson in but disappointing it means Dean/Lang misses out.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:52 pm

Agree on Dean and Lang . Johnson and Tupolotu do not deserve to be selected on form. Dean strikes me as someone who would give blood to play for Scotland and now merits it on Form. Lang too has shown real quality with perhaps Dean edging him on dynamism. Glasgow I’d to see Crosbie and Young in squad as they will hit the ground running playing with new boy Skinner next season . Upstairs may be too contrived with their so called “ depth chart”.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:54 pm

OK first 40, think being an A fixture attitude is possibly better we have seen on past in similar games with established players coming back from injury and young lads keen make an impact.

Crosbie going well as is Cummings. Smith and Currie look composed and good to see Damo bag a couple, real nice line for his second.

Fairly confident Dean/Langs skill set would be doing a lot more damage than tuipulotu who looks to be bit of a one trick pony.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:57 pm

2nd half pretty poop.

Lacked a bit of composure, butchered 4 or 5 really good opportunities.

Chile were a decent defensive team but offered little in attack, good start to tour and looked a stunning setting with the andes as a backdrop..

Good experience for the young lads and hit out for those back from injury.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:50 am

The Feral Goat wrote:2nd half pretty poop.
and looked a stunning setting with the andes as a backdrop..

I'll remember that view a lot longer than I'll remember most of the rugby !
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Damien Hoyland, Ben Muncaster, Matt Currie, Jamie Hodgson and Johnny Matthews heading home from Scotland Squad.

Good experience for Muncaster and Currie both got bright futures.

Bit surprised Hoyland on way home although with his injury history decent rest and pre-season may be better long-term.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:51 am

Not sure what else Damo could have done to be kept on for the test series, but maybe better for Edinburgh's season. Toony definitely wants a look at Kyle Rowe in a Scotland shirt, so not so much of a surprise, given how prominently he's been featured on social media etc. However, I think Damo would've been good cover at FB, so hopefully he's not hoping back on a plane in a few days time due to injuries.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:23 pm

BK getting a roasting on the Glasgow forum but I thought he did a lot of good things,viz:
Made the two tries (and all but gave cthe pass to put Johnson in for a third)
Excellent penalty kicks for touch including two right onto the 5m line (much better than his Edinburgh standard)
Three goalkicks out of four (remember Boffelli missed two)
Kick out of hand reasonably ok bar one left foot out on the full
Tackled well-again I thought better than his club standard
On the debit side his kick offs initially poor but then improved
One glaring pass behind Johnson then,of course,the arguably forward pass than would have put Johnson in (why did the tv director never even replay it for viewers?)
Overall I'd say a 7 out of 10 performance and quite promising.What do others feel or am I just wearing Edinburgh tinted specs?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:36 pm

Agree, is anyone really thinks BK was the big problem in that performance then they aren’t really paying attention.

He did fine, the NigelOwens to Johnson wasn’t great, but just as likely that Johnson over ran. Given Johnson was anonymous for most of the game I wouldn’t be surprised.

For the back row we had we didn’t manage to punch enough holes and never really built pressure. I thought we kicked the ball away too quickly, we were living off scraps specially in the first half.

There will be changes for next week I’m sure.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:52 am

BK is an easy scapegoat plus plays for ER so weeg forum always going to point fingers. With Russell rested, Hastings injured he is the best option we have at 10.

Is it his 3rd or 4th international start at 10? Summer tour is exactly when you need to be getting players experience, he is a year older than Thompson, but for me, a better 10 option at present we need a viable RWC option should Russell or Hastings not be fit for it.

Plenty more concerns with that performance, need to be much more aggressive, need duhan in the game, Hutchinson at 12 as a second playmaker I think helps Kinghorn at 10 as well. Bit more clarity of game plan would help as well not sure it is very obvious what we are trying to do.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:18 am

I thought Crosbie was more than worth his selection, but we need a win this weekend and if Watson is fit then he has to start. I understand the need to get Darge experience at this level but he can come off the bench.

The game was very disjointed in the first half and that really doesn't suit us, I'm not talking about broken field play, in which the likes of Kinghorn, Bennett, Graham, vdM all thrive, I'm talking about a stop start, no continuity, playing in our our half disjointed game.
Gray seems to be a first pick in the second row but I don't think he's been at his best recently, I'd be tempted start Cummings, he offers a lot in terms of ball-carrying.

If Townsend doesn't trust Smith then I hope he plays Graham at fullback and brings in McLean on the wing, Johnson dropping to the bench in place of Tuipulotu with Hutchinson moving to inside centre.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:02 pm

I cant see Hutchison moving from FB, oddly Hoyland is the in form FB and has been sent home. He would have been a much better option to have. The time of McLean and Smith may well come, but im not convinced currently. A back 3 with Darcy and McLean in it woudl be a real worry in defence.

Johnson is still living on the Twickenham win and has done nothing for a while now, how he is ahead of Dean and Lang is a mystery.

BK playing 10 will continue, he is miles better than Thompson and this is all about options for RWC, if we can get BK up to serviceable speed, then it saves us a space in the squad. He is highly unlilley to start vs Ireland or the Saffers, but a good bench option or if there is an injurty.

Similarly if Hutchison or Jones can cover centre and FB it gives far more options.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:37 am

Wouldnt expect to see many changes this week.

Possibly Tuipolotu for Johnson and Watson for Crosbie. I dont like the combo of Gray and Gilcho, I think Gray may well drop out for either Skinner or Cummings, either would just add a bit more energy.

I dont think either Fagerson or Bradbury gave us the go forward we were looking for, so they could be a bit shakey. If Darge is fit he might come in along with Watson, which would possibly help to speed up the ball and slow down theirs.

The pitch will be small again, which probably doesnt help us, it looks to be pretty much the same size as Firhill was, so pretty short. So it does lend itself to picking some big lumps and bashing it up. We need to get Duhan looking for work in the midfield, staying on the wing is just a waste.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to All other rugby chat