U20s

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

U20s

Postby hp18 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:39 pm

. Head Coach John Dalziel has re-called 11 players with Scotland under-20 experience for the squad’s inaugural two-day camp of the season and his first in charge of the most senior age-grade side.
Dalziel, who has been promoted to Head Coach following a three-year spell in the assistant role, has named a 30-man squad consisting of 17 forwards and 13 backs, who enrolled in camp today (Tuesday 12 January).
Over half the squad are BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy players, with 12 players operating at stage three level and a further four at stage two.
Dalziel said: “We’ve selected a strong group of players for the camp, enhanced by the large proportion of the squad who already have experience of this international age-grade stage.
“The vast majority of the group have been exposed to a professional environment through involvement in the Academy, at the top-tier of the domestic game or at their respective exile clubs, which puts us in a good place.
“As a coaching and management group, we’ve been looking at these players across the season and are now ready to start moulding the squad we’re looking to carry into the forthcoming Six Nations.
“We’ve only got two days for our first camp and there’s a lot of work to be done. We are expecting the players to focus, and bring an energy and willingness to develop in the short space of time. This is a real chance for them to impress.”
Following the camp in early January, which will include a hit-out against an Edinburgh Rugby side, the squad will regroup a fortnight later to prepare for their first game of the Six Nations against England on Friday 5 February, at Broadwood Stadium (kick-off 8pm).
They will then face Wales and Italy away, before retuning to Broadwood to host France, prior to concluding their campaign on the road to Ireland.
The team finished third in last year’s Six Nations competition and maintained a 100% record at home, defeating Wales (36-34), Italy (45-0) and Ireland (17-10), before achieving a highest-ever finish of seventh in the World Rugby under-20 Championship in June.
Scotland under-20 squad for Six Nations training camp on Tuesday 12-14 January at BT Murrayfield:

Forwards

Stephen Ainslie (Currie)
Lewis Anderson (Ayr)
Hamilton Burr (Aberdeen Grammar Rugby)
Sebastian Cecil (Nottingham University)
Ben Christie (Loughborough)
Luke Crosbie (Currie) *
Scott Cummings (Glasgow Hawks) **
Andrew Davidson (Glasgow Hawks) **
Matt Emmison (Aberdeenshire)
Bruce Flockhart (Glasgow Hawks) **
Callum Hunter-Hill (Stirling County) **
Murray McCallum (Heriot’s) **
Ally Miller (Melrose) **
Adam Nicol (Stirling County)
Gary Robertson (Gala) **
Callum Sheldon (University of Leeds)
Matt Smith (Glasgow Hawks) **
Backs

Reiss Cullen (Watsonians)
Hugh Fraser (Heriot’s) **
Tom Galbraith (Melrose) **
Darcy Graham (Hawick) *
Adam Hastings (Bath Rugby)
Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints)
Chris Lines (Boroughmuir)
Ross McCann (Stewart’s Melville) *
Matt McPhillips (Currie)
Robbie Nairn (Harlequins)
Ben Robbins (Currie) **
Charlie Shiel (Currie) *
George Taylor (Melrose) **
Unavailable for selection due to injury

Scott Burnside (Boroughmuir)*, Jake Kerr (Boroughmuir)**, Dan Elkington (Melrose), Alex Craig (Gloucester), Tom Gordon (Currie)*, Lewis Wynne (Stirling County)**, Ruairi Howarth (Gala)**
Unavailable for selection due to pro-team commitments

Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh Rugby), Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby)

*BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy Stage 2 player 2015/16
** BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy Stage 3 player 2015/16
hp18
World Cup Star

Re: U20s

Postby gowrie on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Scotland under-20 Head Coach John Dalziel has named a 37-man squad, which includes nine new names, for the age-grade side’s next Six Nations preparation camp (Monday 25 – Wednesday 27 January).

Among those being brought in is Edinburgh Rugby’s Blair Kinghorn, who has gained experience in Guinness PRO12 and European Cup rugby this season, and is re-called for under-20 duty after being unavailable for the first camp due to his pro-team commitments.

Edinburgh Rugby's Blair Kinghorn joins the under-20 squad

BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy duo hooker Jake Kerr and full-back Ruairi Howarth, return from injury to feature in Dalziel’s squad, while exiles George Thornton, Daniel Winning, Alex Galletly, Ruaridh Dawson and Reuben Norville have also received a call-up.

Lee Scott and Fraser Renwick, of Ayr and Hawick respectively, are also included in the squad.

Dalziel said: “We want to have a look at everyone and give people to opportunity to take their chance.

“There’s a couple of players who weren’t available for the first camp – whether that be through injury, pro-team commitments or otherwise – and we’re excited to have a look at them and see what they have to offer.

“Some of the new additions are quality players with a lot of experience, who can bring a lot to the squad, so we’re happy to have them involved.”

Following a hit-out against Edinburgh A in the previous camp, the under-20 side will this time face a Scotland Club International side as part of their three-day camp on Tuesday at BT Murrayfield (kick-off 7.30pm) .

The squad will then be cut further, as preparations ramp-up ahead of the first game of the Six Nations against their English counterparts on Friday 5 February at Broadwood Stadium (kick-off 8pm).

Dalziel continued: “The game against the Club XV will allow us to have a look at different combinations and give guys a shot, but we’ll also be looking for a bit more consistency than we had against Edinburgh, with a smaller number of players being involved.

“With only three days in camp, we’re looking for the players to make the most of the time they’ve got and really put their hand up for future selection.

“There was a lot of commitment in the last camp, and we’re now looking to build on that.

“At the end of it all, there’s a chance to represent your country, which is an honour, and we know that the players are hungry to be involved.”

Scotland under-20 squad for Six Nations training camp, Monday 25 – Wednesday 27 January
Stephen Ainslie (Currie)

Lewis Anderson (Ayr)

Hamish Bain (Currie)*

Scott Burnside (Boroughmuir)*

Sebastian Cecil (Nottingham University)

Ben Christie (Loughborough)

Scott Cummings (Glasgow Hawks)**

Andrew Davidson (Glasgow Hawks)**

Alex Galletly (Leicester Tigers)

Callum Hunter-Hill (Stirling County)

Jake Kerr (Boroughmuir)**

Murray McCallum (Heriot’s)**

Ally Miller (Melrose)**

Adam Nicol (Stirling County)

Fraser Renwick (Hawick)

Lee Scott (Ayr)

Callum Sheldon (University of Leeds)

Matt Smith (Glasgow Hawks)

George Thornton (Bishop Burton College)

Daniel Winning (London Irish Academy)

Backs

Reiss Cullen (Watsonians)

Ruaridh Dawson (Newcastle Falcons)

Hugh Fraser (Heriot’s)**

Tom Galbraith (Melrose)**

Darcy Graham (Hawick)*

Adam Hastings (Bath)

Ruairi Howarth (Gala)**

Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints)

Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby)

Chris Lines (Boroughmuir)

Ross McCann (Stewart’s Melville)*

Matt McPhillips (Currie)

Robbie Nairn (Harlequins)

Reuben Norville (Hartpury College)

Ben Robbins (Currie)**

Charlie Shiel (Currie)*

George Taylor (Melrose)*

*BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy Stage 2 player 2015/16

**BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy Stage 3 player 2015/16

Unavailable due to injury: Alex Craig (Hartpury College), Bruce Flockhart (Glasgow Hawks)** Gary Robertson (Gala)**

Unavailable due to pro-team commitments: Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh Rugby)
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Team's up

https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status ... 32/photo/1

Kinghorn at fullback and Hastings at flyhalf is something I wouldn't mind seeing at Edinburgh soon - there is a lot of good stuff being written about Adam Hastings

Ritchie in at blindside and Cummings has the captain's armband - he looked very very good for Glasgow earlier in the season
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:45 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Team's up

https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status ... 32/photo/1

Kinghorn at fullback and Hastings at flyhalf is something I wouldn't mind seeing at Edinburgh soon - there is a lot of good stuff being written about Adam Hastings

Ritchie in at blindside and Cummings has the captain's armband - he looked very very good for Glasgow earlier in the season

Although unlikely given that Hastings is contracted to Bath ;)
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 pm

It's worth keeping an eye on Ally Miller at #8, he's probably the next academy player off the conveyor belt for us.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 pm

zt1903 wrote:

Aye, I know, and they rate him highly enough.

It'll be interesting to see if he can break through where Heathcote couldn't, it's not an easy situation for any of them when Daddy's the coach and the son is the incumbent in the jersey you want.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

It'll be interesting to see if he can break through where Heathcote couldn't, it's not an easy situation for any of them when Daddy's the coach and the son is the incumbent in the jersey you want.

Probably not an issue this season or next as he starts to breakthrough. It'll come to a head the season after if Ford Snr and Jnr are still at Bath.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:53 pm

I haven't followed age grade rugby too much in the past, but that side to my eye looks as good as we've put out in this tournament for a long while.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:10 pm

gowrie wrote:I haven't followed age grade rugby too much in the past, but that side to my eye looks as good as we've put out in this tournament for a long while.

Some very good players there. Hopefully a lot of people make the effort to go and see them. With the bonus of the wifies game beforehand.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:23 pm

Weegie wrote:
gowrie wrote:I haven't followed age grade rugby too much in the past, but that side to my eye looks as good as we've put out in this tournament for a long while.

Some very good players there. Hopefully a lot of people make the effort to go and see them. With the bonus of the wifies game beforehand.

I've put the team for the women's game in a separate thread.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Can't make it through, anyone know if there is coverage or a stream anywhere? That's a team I would like to see take on the auld enemy!
#AlwaysBlack&Red
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Wottie wrote:Can't make it through, anyone know if there is coverage or a stream anywhere? That's a team I would like to see take on the auld enemy!

There is talk of a stream possibly on the SRU Youtube channel but I've not seen it confirmed.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby thereandbackagain on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:13 am

bignose wrote:
Wottie wrote:Can't make it through, anyone know if there is coverage or a stream anywhere? That's a team I would like to see take on the auld enemy!

There is talk of a stream possibly on the SRU Youtube channel but I've not seen it confirmed.

Englandrugby.com have confirmed they are streaming it... Might mean you either get no/slightly( :lol: ) English focused commentary but it would be better than nothing!
thereandbackagain
Embra Debut

Postby thereandbackagain on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:23 am

Tichtheid wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Given their form i'm not sure Ford Sr will be there come the end of the season, they have been woeful. Conversely I have heard that Hastings is going well for their 'A' team.

I'm pretty sure he is studying down there whilst playing so I reckon in 2-3 years theres a strong possibility we could see him heading back up to Edinburgh. If he continues to improve it would be ridiculous not to pull out all the stops to get him here really.
thereandbackagain
Embra Debut

Postby Wottie on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:41 am

thereandbackagain wrote:
bignose wrote:

Englandrugby.com have confirmed they are streaming it... Might mean you either get no/slightly( :lol: ) English focused commentary but it would be better than nothing!

Scottish Rugby have now confirmed on their Facebook page that the game will be streamed on their YouTube channel and also on: scottishrugby.org/live

Happy days!
#AlwaysBlack&Red
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to All other rugby chat