2017 British & Irish Lions tour

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

Postby Wottie on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:50 pm

biffer wrote:Tuilagi is Gatland's kind of player though, he's big and he runs into people a lot.

I think to be fair to Gatland he knows that to beat NZ you have to take them on up front and run at them in the backs. That's what he did when Wales toured last there and they were successful with that game plan, they just didn't have the resources to keep it going for the full 80 and the plan went to ratshit when the bench came on. With the Lions he has much deeper resources at his disposal. He has also seen how Ireland went at them so I'm sure he will pick a squad to play that way, even though it would be a departure from what we have become accustomed to seeing from his Welsh sides!
Cornell for President and Nel for Messiah!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:40 am

All the rumours in the press pointing towards one Scot in the squad (Hogg).

Gatland doing his best petted lip because Toonie turned his offer of carrying the water bottles down.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Forwards:

Rory Best (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Jamie George (England), Iain Henderson (Ireland), Maro Itoje (England), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), George Kruis (England), Courtney Lawes (England), Joe Marler (England), Jack McGrath (Ireland), Ross Moriarty (Wales), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Peter O'Mahony (Ireland), Ken Owens (Wales), Kyle Sinckler (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Mako Vunipola (England), Sam Warburton (Wales)

Backs:

Dan Biggar (Wales), Elliot Daly (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales), Owen Farrell (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Jonathan Joseph (England), Conor Murray (Ireland), George North (Wales), Jack Nowell (England), Jared Payne (Ireland), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Tommy Seymour (Scotland), Ben Te'o (England), Anthony Watson (England), Rhys Webb (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Ben Youngs (England)

16 England players, 12 from Wales, 11 from Ireland and two from Scotland.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Hard not to be apathetic, somehow we have 1 less on tour than 4 years ago, don't think anyone can justify the 5th placed team in the 6N being the second most represented on the Lions.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Head coach wants a certain type of player. Scotland doesn't do them
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Seymour won't get a sniff of the test side and Hogg will be dropped for 1/2p at the first suggestion of a defensive error.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Not unexpected that we are poorly represented again but

Ross Moriarty (Wales), Dan Biggar (Wales), Jared Payne (Ireland)

Picked on form? no
Picked on reputation? no
Picked while on drugs? must be

The whole Welsh back line (expect Scott Williams) selected who collectively looked totally clueless in attack throughout the 6N, 4 Welsh back rowers who Watson comprehensively outplayed himself.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 pm

It was always going to be like this particularly when Townsend told them to AlainRolland off and he wasn’t going to play second fiddle to Howley as attack coach and would concentrate on Scotland. I completely agree with Townsend’s decision and the 6Ns showed us how inept Howley is. Thereafter Gatland made it clear that he wasn’t going to select many if any Scots and I fully expect Hogg and Seymour to end up playing the midweek games. Apart from hoping our guys to have a good tour I will be supporting the ABs and hope that they and rugby win!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:17 pm

LawrenceBryce off Gatland.

That is all.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:22 pm

gowrie wrote:Hard not to be apathetic, somehow we have 1 less on tour than 4 years ago, don't think anyone can justify the 5th placed team in the 6N being the second most represented on the Lions.

.... another way to look at it, the 8th placed team in the world rankings contribute 12 players, to 2 from the team placed 5th, and 11 from the team placed 4th, oh BTW, who also beat the All Blacks last year, nearly twice!

To be fair, I only really have a major problem with Halfpenny and Biggar. Slot Maitland and Russell in for them and I'd be very happy with the squad. Real shame about Nel however.

Launchbury should have been in over Henderson and I don't really have a problem with Moriarty given the way the forwards have clearly been selected to beast the AB's (or at least try). He runs through walls and had a pretty big 6N.

Fact is I think a lot of our guys are probably sitting on reserve list and I would expect a few more to be part of the squad before the tour finishes. I'll be over there backing the guys whatever team they put out!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Gutted for Hamish Watson-and more than a little surprised that not more support and comment for him on his own club's site!
Nothing less than excellent in every game I've seen him play this season-and he would provide some variety from the other selections.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Will Biggar duck taking kicks if asked? If a Scotsman had done that...
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:10 pm

liveinhope wrote:Gutted for Hamish Watson-and more than a little surprised that not more support and comment for him on his own club's site!
Nothing less than excellent in every game I've seen him play this season-and he would provide some variety from the other selections.

We all are but I think realistically with Warburton and Tipuric there, and Welsh, realistically, he was always going to miss out wasn't he. His turn will come in SA 2021.

Tom English's tweet was a beauty "Clearly Sco v Wal had zero bearing on this. Four Welsh Back Rows picked. The man who destroyed them, Hamish Watson, left out!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Wottie wrote:To be fair, I only really have a major problem with Halfpenny and Biggar.

I'll see your bid and raise you Leigh Halfpenny.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 pm

biffer wrote:
Wottie wrote:To be fair, I only really have a major problem with Halfpenny and Biggar.

I'll see your bid and raise you Leigh Halfpenny.

I'm confused.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat