Page 1 of 5

2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:59 pm
by disco
There's going to be a lot of discussion of this over the next 6 months before selection so I thought I'd get in there early...

I've done a wee piece for the Scottish Rugby Blog about what key Scotland players need from the Autumn Tests to improve their chances of Lions selection. First up are the backs:

http://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2016/11/scotlands-backs-british-lions-british-lambs/

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:28 am
by dolf_lundgren
I would not be shocked if Jamie Roberts was still selected!

Davies and Williams are not in great form. North has lost his magic a little, so there are spaces opening up. The Irish guys will have jumped the Q, not doubt we will hear about how important it is to know how to beat the ABs coming from across the water in the coming months!

Laidlaw is the ideal dirt trackers captain, although it would be a shame if that is where the tour ends up. Actually looking at the list of names this lions squad may not be all that strong. There are very few world class players in there.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:38 pm
by biffer
dolf_lundgren wrote:I would not be shocked if Jamie Roberts was still selected!

Davies and Williams are not in great form. North has lost his magic a little, so there are spaces opening up. The Irish guys will have jumped the Q, not doubt we will hear about how important it is to know how to beat the ABs coming from across the water in the coming months!

Laidlaw is the ideal dirt trackers captain, although it would be a shame if that is where the tour ends up. Actually looking at the list of names this lions squad may not be all that strong. There are very few world class players in there.


No way Gatland is dropping North. You're right about Laidlaw though, I think he's virtually nailed on for dirt trackers captain. Only thing that will stop it is multiple injuries to other scrum halves putting him into contention for the test side.

There's a bit of me that thinks the Lions will get a solid kicking in NZ and as such doesn't want our players involved.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:32 pm
by disco
dolf_lundgren wrote:I would not be shocked if Jamie Roberts was still selected!

Davies and Williams are not in great form. North has lost his magic a little, so there are spaces opening up. The Irish guys will have jumped the Q, not doubt we will hear about how important it is to know how to beat the ABs coming from across the water in the coming months!

Laidlaw is the ideal dirt trackers captain, although it would be a shame if that is where the tour ends up. Actually looking at the list of names this lions squad may not be all that strong. There are very few world class players in there.

You're probably right :cry: I just thought he was horribly exposed against an Australian side playing the game at pace and then just lumping into the first gold jersey he could find when he had the ball - no matter what the game situation was! But he'll end up going because Gatland.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:41 pm
by Wottie
Good piece Disco. I would add Duncan Taylor to your list of backs that will be in contention. I would have him ahead of Bennett just now.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:22 pm
by BigD163
I would take Hogg, Seymour and form depending possibly one of the centres.

If we are being honest Russell is still showing signs of rust and is probably at least 4th or 5th in line at 10.

Laidlaw might sneak in as 3rd choice scrum half but that would be his ceiling IMO.

I'd like to see as many players go as possible. It is important for them to see that they are the equal if not better than the Welsh, Irish and English counterparts.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:12 pm
by Ayton1keith
Thoughts on Scotlands form centre at the moment (IMO) making the Lions plane, Matt Scott, burning it up in the Aviva for Gloucester. Think it's pretty obvious that BVC doesn't rate him, especially in light of Duncan Taylor (injured) not having played all season and Mark Bennett by his own admission not playing well but both make the training squad.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:17 pm
by disco
Wottie wrote:Good piece Disco. I would add Duncan Taylor to your list of backs that will be in contention. I would have him ahead of Bennett just now.

Cheers! There was a method to my madness in the midfield (honest!) I was looking at Bennett as a different type of centre, possibly the one who can offer a similar skillset to Jonathan Joseph to challenge the ABs in a different way. So he (and possibly Huw Jones) could be competing for that sort of role - of course those types of players will need to convince Gatland to move away from his obsession with picking the biggest men he can find!

My comments for Dunbar would stand almost verbatim for Taylor who finds himself in a similar situation but further behind in terms of coming back from injury. Personal opinion I think those two would be fighting for the same place on the plane if one was available and I would have Dunbar at 100% slightly ahead of Taylor at 100%.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:25 pm
by disco
disco wrote:There's going to be a lot of discussion of this over the next 6 months before selection so I thought I'd get in there early...

I've done a wee piece for the Scottish Rugby Blog about what key Scotland players need from the Autumn Tests to improve their chances of Lions selection. First up are the backs:

http://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2016/11/scotlands-backs-british-lions-british-lambs/

Here's part 2 on the forwards:

http://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2016/11/scotlands-forwards-lions-lambs/

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:19 pm
by Friday Knight Lights
I doubt Richie Gray is in Lions consideration. Nel and Gray but unless there's a ridiculous bolter nobody else, doesn't bode well for Hardie if Watson is starting above him.

Also Bennett has no chance bar a ridiculous vein of form. He's been poor the last year and has a lot to do to even start at 13 for Scotland. Taylor is our best centre and I'd expect him to go because he's very good and versatile.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:22 pm
by djphilp
Huw Jones didn't do his chances any harm today :)

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:02 am
by Wottie
CDP called up for AI's and if he stays fit and features in the 6N's I think he could be a potential bolter for the Lions!

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:38 pm
by biffer
Short article in the Times today pointing out that 13 is a problem position for the Lions; Tuialagi will likely go if fit but there's no guarantee he will be, and there are three Scots who could put themselves in contention now in Bennett, Taylor and Jones.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:19 pm
by gowrie
It'd be a joke if Tuilagi tours, it's getting on 2-3 years now since he last had a good game. If he does go it'd be 100% down to hype from the English media, not what he's done on the pitch.

Can't see Du Preez going either. Backrow's far too competitive with the likes of Stander, Heaslip, Robshaw, Vunipola and Faletau about, he'd have to be at his absolute best to have even a tiny chance of going, and he's not near his best.

Re: 2017 British & Irish Lions tour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:39 pm
by biffer
gowrie wrote:It'd be a joke if Tuilagi tours, it's getting on 2-3 years now since he last had a good game. If he does go it'd be 100% down to hype from the English media, not what he's done on the pitch.

Can't see Du Preez going either. Backrow's far too competitive with the likes of Stander, Heaslip, Robshaw, Vunipola and Faletau about, he'd have to be at his absolute best to have even a tiny chance of going, and he's not near his best.


Tuilagi is Gatland's kind of player though, he's big and he runs into people a lot.