Six Nations 2017

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Six Nations 2017

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Cotters reasoning for DuPreez over Bradbury...second part is interesting it is not something I have been aware of.

"He's a more seasoned and a more experienced player, Cornell. He's more physical in contact. Magnus has not started games that well. He's finished games well when the intensity has dropped but he needs to work on that."
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:06 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Cotters reasoning for DuPreez over Bradbury...second part is interesting it is not something I have been aware of.

"He's a more seasoned and a more experienced player, Cornell. He's more physical in contact. Magnus has not started games that well. He's finished games well when the intensity has dropped but he needs to work on that."

A nonsense when you consider how well Bradbury started vs Argentina. I can accept he isn't good enough at the breakdown but I would want him working with Gray the coach on his technique as much as possible.

Also, on Cotter not picking match fit players - we have a small playing base so I understand why he wants really talented guys involved even if they are struggling for fitness.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:00 pm

The team I'm expecting from Cotter:

Dell - Ford - Fagerson (Allan - Brown - Welsh)
Gray - Gray (Swinson)
Barclay - Wilson - Watson (Strauss)
Laidlaw - Russell (Price - Weir)
Seymour - Dunbar - Jones (if fit) - Maitland (Bennett).
Hogg

If Taylor is fit, he could start at 13, but I doubt he is.
If Hardie is fit, he could start ahead of Watson as he is one of Cotter's favourite.
I'm not sure either for Berghan, Scott, Gilchrist or Toolis who could be in.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:33 pm

I think Strauss is in with a good chance starting considering his Champions Cup heroics, also I expect Scott in the centre with Taylor on the bench as I don't think Jones is fit yet.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:49 pm

I think we could even see a team without any Embra players given Nel and Dickinson being injured! Ford, Dell and Watson are all possibly starters but balance that view against splitting up good combinations from the Weegies, they are sky high following Leicester game and that the Oirish play the sort of game where you want some big ball carriers. Shame our front row isn't available.

Fagerson - 1st choice TH
Brown - has done it well for the Weegies, better around the park and Grey calls the line outs but Ford better in scrum
Reid or Dell - why split up a successful front row but Dell did well in 6Ns and more mobile
Grays x 2 or possibly Swinson for Gray snr?
Barclay
Wilson
Strauss or Watson - depends if you want carrier or jackal against the Oirish

Laidlaw
Russell
Dunbar
Bennet/Jones
Seymour
Visser or Maitland - both a bit meh but Maitland has benefit of playing for Sarries
Hogg
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Dell's safe. Cotter doesn't really rate Reid, Allan was being picked ahead of him in the AIs. Brown might pip Ford, but I doubt it.
Watson's hard to call, not sure if going with a relatively lightweight backrow with 2 7s is the right call against Ireland and he might miss out to Barclay as a result.

But it is pretty concerning how little we're contributing, it'll be a few years yet before talents like Bradbury/Kinghorn can establish themselves as test starters.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:01 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I think Strauss is in with a good chance starting considering his Champions Cup heroics, also I expect Scott in the centre with Taylor on the bench as I don't think Jones is fit yet.

Rumours about that Jones has been flying at training.

Scott needs to be in the matchday 23 though.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:12 pm

Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:58 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:I think Strauss is in with a good chance starting considering his Champions Cup heroics, also I expect Scott in the centre with Taylor on the bench as I don't think Jones is fit yet.

Scott has been flying in professional rugby though, I'd back the man fit and firing. Ireland are probably the most physical team in the world currently - it's a huge step going from two months of rest and rehabilitation to Ireland at Murrayfield.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Team for Ireland

1. Dell, 2. Brown, 3. Fagerson, 4. Gray, 5. Gray, 6. Wilson, 7. Watson, 8. Strauss
9. Laidlaw (c), 10. Russell, 11. Seymour, 12. Dunbar, 13. Jones, 14. Maitland, 15. Hogg

16. Ford, 17. Reid, 18. Berghan, 19. Swinson, 20. Barclay, 21. Price, 22. Weir, 23. Bennett

Welsh and Scott the big exclusions

Don't see us winning this game.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Ireland: R Kearney; K Earls, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, S Zebo; P Jackson, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best, T Furlong; I Henderson, D Toner; CJ Stander, S O'Brien, J Heaslip.

Replacements: N Scannell, C Healy, U Dillane, J Ryan, D Ryan, K Marmion, I Keatley, T Bowe.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

Scott has been flying in professional rugby though, I'd back the man fit and firing. Ireland are probably the most physical team in the world currently - it's a huge step going from two months of rest and rehabilitation to Ireland at Murrayfield.

Feel pretty gutted for Scott. One of the top centres in the Aviva this season. Near the top of the stats for tries scored and turn overs gained. Really think we are going to need in form and match ready players to face the intensity that the Irish will bring. Jones hasn't played since mid November, he might be flying in training but training is no substitute for game time.
However, this game is going to be won at the breakdown. Laidlaw needs to be at the top of his game and provide quick ball for his back line, failure to get quick ball will just play into the hands of the Streetwise Irish forwards and their somewhat "dubious" tactics at the ruck.
Ayton1keith
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:07 pm

To me their back row looks a little one dimensional, while all are undoubtedly very good players are they not all very similar? Perhaps it is an indication of how they plan to play the game but I think ours looks better balanced and I am glad it looks like we are going out to play our game rather than try and take Ireland on at theirs.

Overall I think our pack looks perhaps more mobile and could argue in Russell, Hogg and Jones we have more potential game breakers.

Difficult one to call I think all games will be close this year, we have the potential to do very well Saturday needs to see us start to deliver on it.

A mention for Simon Berghan as well set to win his first cap off the bench, free from injury and with a run of games I think he has really stepped up in Nels absence as has McCallum.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Match preview:

http://wp.me/p68WtH-54u

Ireland probably with the advantage in the head to head - but there's a couple of battles there that could be overturned if our players show the form they're capable of. And we need the home advantage to make a difference - a cauldron of noise to drive the team on.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Hamish Watson was magnificent, he took on the Irishers much vaunted backrow and won. What a player!!!!!!!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat