Six Nations 2017

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Six Nations 2017

Postby hp18 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Hamish Watson was magnificent, he took on the Irishers much vaunted backrow and won. What a player!!!!!!!

He's phenomenally difficult to put down, never stops fight.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Agree his stats for 50+ mins were very impressive. Thought Wilson put in a pretty big defensive shift as well. I think he is a good player and looks to have put his brain farts behind him and is playing consistently at a high level.

Thought the oft criticised Laidlaw, Ford and Maitland also all had good games as well.

Dell perhaps a bit naive in the scrum initially dont think he was as outplayed as the ref thought, Ireland a bit smarter but ultimately he did not get carded think he may not start against the french giants next week. Fagerson continues to impress gets through a lot of work as well.

Thought Jones looked a wee bit off the pace perhaps not surprising given he has not played in a while.

Overall very good performance from all. I thought we had blown it but coming back to win is a massive mental step for the team given recent history, we have the talent hopefully now they have the belief.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Yeah Ford was immense throughout - kind of annoying where's that Ford been for years? We need that every single week. He was smashing guys all over the place.

Maitland is so solid and Laidlaw is what he is, he's not the best player, tactically sometimes gets it wrong but a superb captain.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:19 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Agree his stats for 50+ mins were very impressive. Thought Wilson put in a pretty big defensive shift as well. I think he is a good player and looks to have put his brain farts behind him and is playing consistently at a high level.

Thought the oft criticised Laidlaw, Ford and Maitland also all had good games as well.

Dell perhaps a bit naive in the scrum initially dont think he was as outplayed as the ref thought, Ireland a bit smarter but ultimately he did not get carded think he may not start against the french giants next week. Fagerson continues to impress gets through a lot of work as well.

Thought Jones looked a wee bit off the pace perhaps not surprising given he has not played in a while.

Overall very good performance from all. I thought we had blown it but coming back to win is a massive mental step for the team given recent history, we have the talent hopefully now they have the belief.

Jones did very well to set up Hogg's second try.

Agree with everything else people are saying, too.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Player ratings:

http://wp.me/p68WtH-59p

Featuring the real 50 shades of Gray. I'm sure the Irish were certainly sick of the sight of the 2 Mr. Grays' tackles... :D
disco
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Yeah Ford was immense throughout - kind of annoying where's that Ford been for years? We need that every single week. He was smashing guys all over the place.

Maitland is so solid and Laidlaw is what he is, he's not the best player, tactically sometimes gets it wrong but a superb captain.

Balls of steel
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby abbeyhillexile on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:16 am

France v Scotland spare ticket alert!
Two years ago a lot of forum members tried to help me get a ticket for Glos v Ed Challenge Cup Final.
Maybe I can return the favour. One of our party of nine can now not make it to Paris. So we have a spare ticket which we are happy to sell for face value of about £50. We want a Gunner fan to have first dibs. Please PM if you are interested and we can sort out details. The handover would have to take place in Paris as we're all expatriates travelling from St Pancras on Saturday!
abbeyhillexile
Embra Debut

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:51 pm

1. Dell, 2. Brown, 3. Fagerson, 4. Gray, 5. Gray, 6. Barclay, 7. Watson, 8. Strauss
9. Laidlaw (c), 10. Russell, 11. Seymour, 12. Dunbar, 13. Jones, 14. Maitland, 15. Hogg

16. Ford, 17. Reid, 18. Berghan, 19. Swinson, 20. Hardie, 21. Price, 22. Weir, 23. Bennett

Same team except Barclay in for Wilson who has elbow injury, Hardie on bench (Ritchie starts for ER tonight)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Thought Ford would have started, he had a pretty good game last week. Don't know why Welsh isn't being picked, and I don't really think Hardie's the best option for the bench when we've already got two opensides starting, England went through the same thing last week when Hughes was marked out of the game because they didn't have other big carriers.

Also wasn't that impressed with the centre pair last week, would have liked to see a change there.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:56 pm

gowrie wrote:Thought Ford would have started, he had a pretty good game last week. Don't know why Welsh isn't being picked, and I don't really think Hardie's the best option for the bench when we've already got two opensides starting, England went through the same thing last week when Hughes was marked out of the game because they didn't have other big carriers.

Also wasn't that impressed with the centre pair last week, would have liked to see a change there.

Yeah, might've been better to throw CdP onto the bench.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:56 pm

gowrie wrote:Thought Ford would have started, he had a pretty good game last week. Don't know why Welsh isn't being picked, and I don't really think Hardie's the best option for the bench when we've already got two opensides starting, England went through the same thing last week when Hughes was marked out of the game because they didn't have other big carriers.

Barclay hasn't played openside for years, I don't think he has the speed to be an openside anymore and has changed his game. There's not a huge amount of difference between Barclay and Wilson imo - both a bit of a jack of all trades. In fact Wilson probably plays 7 more than Barclay these days.

I didn't think Dunbar had a good game at all - 5 missed tackles and threw an awful intercept to Zebo. But with Scott our of favour, Taylor injured and Bennett off form you don't really have an option. I like not changing a winning team as well.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Difficult to change a winning team unless forced.

I don’t think Dunbar will miss as many tackles the rest of the tournament as he did last week (was it 5 or 6?) and having played Jones last week we are probably as well playing him again to help get his match sharpness back.

Scrums are going to be tough, although reports suggested Humphries saw the issue last week and the message got onto the pitch and Dell and Fagerson sorted issue so will see how Sunday goes, perhaps perception is now they are vulnerable in the scrum which may go against them, BVC has to be prepared to use Berghan otherwise no point having him on the bench.

Back row- with Wilson injured Barclay stepping up is the obvious move, agree Hardie on bench is not ideal but I think if we are in the game at the 60minute mark our fitness and speed may make the difference.

Keep the ball in hand, minimise kicking to their back 3 and Louis P and try and run them into the ground…simple!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Match preview for France v Scotland:

http://wp.me/p68WtH-57n

No wins in Paris in the 6 Nations. Never won both games in the first 2 rounds of the tournament. It would be something very special if Scotland were to get a result on Sunday.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Hamish Watson is so impressive when he moves the point of contact carrying, I've not had a favourite player since I was a kid but Hamish Watson is the guy.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:59 pm

That was just a gutting second half to watch, all the worst moronic decision-making and indiscipline of Scotland's past, allied with a battered scrum and it was sheer grit in defence that kept it a respectable score.

Hamish Watson, Brown, the Gray brothers, Strauss and Maitland did themselves credit. Russell, the props, Jones were just so poor, especially at the end when we needed some kind of intelligence to get out of our half.

Also, why was our lineout so weak? Didn't get within a mile of a single one of their throws, like we couldn't be arsed competing at all.
gowrie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat