Six Nations 2017

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Six Nations 2017

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:09 pm

gowrie wrote:That was just a gutting second half to watch, all the worst moronic decision-making and indiscipline of Scotland's past, allied with a battered scrum and it was sheer grit in defence that kept it a respectable score.

Hamish Watson, Brown, the Gray brothers, Strauss and Maitland did themselves credit. Russell, the props, Jones were just so poor, especially at the end when we needed some kind of intelligence to get out of our half.

Also, why was our lineout so weak? Didn't get within a mile of a single one of their throws, like we couldn't be arsed competing at all.

watching Scotland's scrum absolutely marmalised was a blast from the past. Hopefully it encourages the SRU to pony up to keep Nel managed here properly.

Without Laidlaw we are screwed, Price and Russell cannot manage a game between them. Who was captain once Barclay went off?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:10 pm

J gray
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Strauss was exceptional today as well, I've had my doubts about him but he was very effective despite appearing injured.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Without Laidlaw we are screwed, Price and Russell cannot manage a game between them. Who was captain once Barclay went off?

Don't really buy it if I'm honest. Take the Australia game in the AIs, or Ireland last week. When we're under the cosh, Laidlaw does us no better in getting us out of danger and into their territory.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:27 pm

gowrie wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Without Laidlaw we are screwed, Price and Russell cannot manage a game between them. Who was captain once Barclay went off?

Don't really buy it if I'm honest. Take the Australia game in the AIs, or Ireland last week. When we're under the cosh, Laidlaw does us no better in getting us out of danger and into their territory.

No but Laidlaw got us in a winning position vs Ireland by playing sensibly and building the phases/pressure. When France were three points ahead we were in their half Russell made a good break but went for another miracle offload. Russell isn't very good at game management, Laidlaw is. If Glasgow don't get a big lead early doors they really struggle and it'll be the same with Scotland.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
gowrie wrote:

No but Laidlaw got us in a winning position vs Ireland by playing sensibly and building the phases/pressure. When France were three points ahead we were in their half Russell made a good break but went for another miracle offload. Russell isn't very good at game management, Laidlaw is. If Glasgow don't get a big lead early doors they really struggle and it'll be the same with Scotland.

How does Laidlaw stop Russell going for an offload mid-play? Laidlaw plays every minute he can, of course he'll be around when Scotland are controlling the game, but he's not the causal factor, because we get pinned back in our half so easily when he's on the pitch as well.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:41 pm

We were directionless without Laidlaw, he doesn't stop Russell going for the miracle pass but by being there he takes all the pressure of Russell.

All I am saying is I don't think Russell is sacrosanct, when the pressure is on he tries to do it all himself. Laidlaw is calm, patient and builds pressure. Russell does something amazing and then something stupid.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:58 pm

We agree on Russell, he's got some serious gaps in his game, but to me those gaps are just as apparent with Laidlaw on the pitch. There have been a absolute nightmarish ton of games with Laidlaw on the pitch and players making bad decisions and putting us under needless pressure, Laidlaw among them.

Also the decision to start Jones looks like a serious mistake now, starting a guy and trying to get him match fit in international rugby is really being shown up at the top level. And maybe a bit of misplaced hype after two good games.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:07 pm

gowrie wrote:We agree on Russell, he's got some serious gaps in his game, but to me those gaps are just as apparent with Laidlaw on the pitch. There have been a absolute nightmarish ton of games with Laidlaw on the pitch and players making bad decisions and putting us under needless pressure, Laidlaw among them.

Also the decision to start Jones looks like a serious mistake now, starting a guy and trying to get him match fit in international rugby is really being shown up at the top level. And maybe a bit of misplaced hype after two good games.

Jones has two very good try assists now, I don't think it was a mistake. Defensively he's no worse than Scott or Bennett and Jones has more credit in the bank than they do. I think Taylor is our best centre but he's injured.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby crispy on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:37 pm

I don't think it's a fitness thing with Jones. He still did great work to set up Hogg today, he's just not very good at defending. If you look at the AI's he didn't defend particularly well then either. This is just his level. Hopefully playing for Glasgow regularly will fix his issues.

The question now is whether his good attacking makes up for his poor defending?
crispy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:07 pm

crispy wrote:I don't think it's a fitness thing with Jones. He still did great work to set up Hogg today, he's just not very good at defending. If you look at the AI's he didn't defend particularly well then either. This is just his level. Hopefully playing for Glasgow regularly will fix his issues.

The question now is whether his good attacking makes up for his poor defending?

I think so, would Scott/Bennett have created the two tries Jones did? Would they have defended so much better we concede less points? I think the answer to both is no.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:46 pm

The same Scott that's top try scorer in the AP? Bennett that was Breakthrough POTY nominee in 2015?

That said, Dunbar, for all his defensive qualities, hasn't been a major attacking threat for the past few games which obviously makes Jones' job harder.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Certainly would prefer to have Scott on the bench. He offers so much solidity which Bennet doesn't. He is a try threat and cover 12 and 13, jones can play 12 but midfield looks very lightweight wit him and Bennet.

Agree Taylor would be a major addition,

The loss of Nel, Sutherland and Dickinson is huge though. With them we would have won't today, every team gets injuries though. We need stronger props and carriers in the back row. Not sure where we find them in 2 weeks though.

Is DD back playing yet? If Strauss is injured we are seriously short of bulk I the back row.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:11 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Is DD back playing yet? If Strauss is injured we are seriously short of bulk I the back row.

Aye, played for Bath in the Anglo-Welsh last week, was on the bench for their Prem match on Friday. Presumably quite rusty.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:23 pm

gowrie wrote:The same Scott that's top try scorer in the AP? Bennett that was Breakthrough POTY nominee in 2015?

That said, Dunbar, for all his defensive qualities, hasn't been a major attacking threat for the past few games which obviously makes Jones' job harder.

Yes those two, I was reading the Glasgow form and even many on there see distribution as a weakness for Bennett, Scott maybe as he has set up a few in his time. I'd like to see him involved but I don't think either are much better than Jones in defence at all.

I agree about Dunbar, played more like a flanker than a 12 today.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat