Six Nations 2017

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Six Nations 2017

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:56 am

Small margins for me. The pack was not overwhelmed and Dell is catching on quite quickly. From what I've seen so far is that if any team gets it spot on in a match then they will win. I didn't enjoy the result but seeing two teams go hammer and tongs at each other was worth the ticket price. Any team Italy apart is capable of beating any other. The bonus points will determine the competition.
Jonny should have given Price a clip for being so stupid. Finn's grubbers are a bit like Andy Murrays drop shots they don't work. You could see at times the French were really unsure what Finn was going to do, so I can see where Dunc stayed on the bench. If things had worked then Finn would have been a hero. Personally I'd have had Dunc kicking for territory 5-10 mins earlier. Small margins!
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:16 am

Initially, it's tempting to think frustrating, but frankly they could have been awarded that try by the TMO and equally ours could have been reviewed for the wee shove that Tommy gave the boy while the ball was in the air. Having said that a few additional bounces of the ball or a bit more solidity with it and we could have had a shot the first win this century.

Dell and Fagerson are getting there, but until referees pick up on the whole big step to the left and wheel tactic, the scrum is going to be messy. I didn't understand why Ford wasn't on 15 minutes earlier given he stabilised the scrum and played like a demon against Ireland.Weir I'm pretty sure was brought on in case the opportunity of a drop goal presented itself (we were only 3 down at the time). The injuries messed up our last quarter, if we'd had Hardie, Reid, Ford, Berghan and Swinson all fresh with 15 minutes left it might have been a different result.

One of the clever things France did was they tried to take our tackle machines out of the game - they were running their forwards at our centres, so although Jonny and Hamish both still had big numbers, there was more for Dunbar and Jones, and in the tackles that the forwards did make the impacts were more across the field than knocking the French back. So we lost one of our impacts from last week of knocking the players back over the gain line.

Bring on the taffs. The team I want to beat more than anyone else most years. I AlainRolland hate the Welsh.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:04 am

It is frustration for me, coaches always talk of small margins and yet Cotter dismissed the conversion shambles as irrelevant as we lost by 6 in the end. However had we scored it we are 5 points up, more than a single penalty, and the pressure is on the French and their approach possible changes. Similarly with Prices penalty reverse that was a chance for good attacking field position in the French 22 which we really struggled to get in the second half. We can’t control the TMO, Ref etc but these are two incidents completely within our control with the possibility of scoring points that we have not taken the opportunity. Even with injuries and struggles at the set piece the game was there for the winning. We beat Ireland by taking every chance we got to score points, we lost to France by not doing the same.

Anyway I thought Strauss had easily his best game for Scotland, in the past he has not made much of an impact in Internationals but second half in particular he put in a massive effort against some big French players and got us out of bother a few times. Agree re Dell and Fagerson with an extended run in the team I think they are learning pretty quick and won’t face as big a front row again. If we manage to have Dell, Fagerson, Dickinson, Nel and Sutherland all fit at the same time we will be in a good place prop wise.

EDIT: I am talking MattGoddard we would have been 2 points ahead at 18-16 not 18-13...will get my coat, but still a frustrating loss
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:09 am

I knew people would focus on Laidlaw not being there and it is an unfair argument because you can never see how the flip side would turn out (him playing 80 in this case). Our forwards were creating no quick ball and the French defence was all over them when they got the ball so of course it was hard for the 9 + 10.

Some could point to last week, where we managed to turn it around after losing all control of the game, as an example of where Laidlaw helped steady the ship which is fine. But the counter argument of say the Oz game in the AIs we will never know if bringing Price on v Australia could have helped win that game when his pace and energy could have been used.

There were positives of the Price/Russell combo, there was quick ball at times, Russell's kicking for goal (bar the weird conversion) was solid. Yes there were mistakes and Price was a bit over eager sometimes, but when you sit on the bench game after game getting hyped up and not getting on each time I can understand why he was a it over eager.

Going forward the coach needs to get Price more game time. It is not sustainable to continue to have Laidlaw play until he breaks because then his back up has no experience and Russell has no experience at international level of having to take complete charge.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 am

Not trying to gloss over the failings in the scrum, but there is hopefully some hard and fast learning going on there for some good young props.

In the cold light of day, my view is that if the Aussie muppet of a ref had allowed France to actually scrum against England, they'd have won that game as well and been favourites for a Slam.
The Chiel
International

Postby liveinhope on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:38 pm

REF Feral Goat's post-no you were quite correct initially.Swinson's try put us three pointas ahead (16-13). Finn's conversion would have made it 18-13.
(I see on the Glasgow forum similar confusion and most seem to think it was 16-16.I assure you it wasn't. Half time score was 11-13 and Swinson's try was the first score of the half. France scored three penalties subsequently.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks, didn't think I had that many ipas, read an article after posting somewhere saying we squandered opportunity for 2point lead.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Laidlaw oot.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Not good, but (I am assuming given the other out of form options) a real opportunity for Price. Dell and Fagerson look to have really benefitted from extended runs if Price is given a run over the next 3 games it should be really good for his development as well.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:18 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Not good, but (I am assuming given the other out of form options) a real opportunity for Price. Dell and Fagerson look to have really benefitted from extended runs if Price is given a run over the next 3 games it should be really good for his development as well.

Getting a bit fed up with talking about development though - I'd like to win three games or more in a season for the first time in a decade.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I would think not there is a fair chance that Pyrgos will get the nod to bring more solidity.

While there is bad news about, it sounds like Horse has a bad one, whispers that it might be his season over as he has had a bad run with concussion. Hopefully it will settle but he did look bad leaving the field and he brings a lot of aggression to defence.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Getting a bit fed up with talking about development though - I'd like to win three games or more in a season for the first time in a decade.

I fully agree, and I think we still should win our 3 home games. The core of the squad has been together long enough that we should be able to cope without Laidlaw, important as he has been to the team. I think it is good Price may get a run rather than 0mins or 5mins at the end of a match as he (and SHC) has had in the past. The only way we are going to get a bit more depth is to trust the younger guys to play and deliver at International level.

Has Pyrgos not been injured and way off form recently?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Was injured now just off form. Apprently had a horrible game on Friday, didnt see it but sounded like they all did.

Will be interesting to see what Cotter does, sadly he has very little to choose from. A good test of Russell, if he can control the game without Laidlaw then he will go a long way to being a Lion, if not then he is out of the picture.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:57 pm

If Barclay is out it's a huge test for Jonny Gray and Stuart Hogg as the leaders on the pitch and Finn Russell as commander in chief. The team really isn't as experienced as we'd maybe like. There's a good argument for Ford to start as he's a centurion but there's certainly going to be a lot of slightly raw players.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:49 pm

Strauss out for 6 weeks - with Hardie and Barclay looking doubtful there is big opportunity for someone (or more) to step up. CDP and Bradbury have been fit and playing although CDP not at his best and Bradbury clearly not quite to Cotters liking at present. Denton is just back, I think, and not sure how much game time he has had or what sort of form he is in perhaps too early to be thrown into a 6N match, is Ashe in any sort of form for the Weeg?

For me CDP the most rounded offers a bit more at the breakdown than the others but not sure he is in good enough form although getting a run out at international level may be the lift that brings the best out in him.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat