Six Nations 2017

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Six Nations 2017

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm bored so figure with the Six Nations around the corner it's a good time to start talking about the squad. I'm not too confident, we have some key players missing and a tough start vs Ireland one of the top 3 teams in the world first up and then a trip to Paris which is always tough and then you find yourself two defeats against Wales.

Props: Dell, Reid, Allan, Welsh, Fagerson, Nel (if not concussed, if he is Berghan).

Hookers: Ford, Brown

Locks: Gray x2, Swinson, Toolis

Back row: Barclay, Bradbury, du Preez, Harley, Strauss, Watson, Wilson

Scrum Half: Laidlaw, Price

Standoff: Russell, Jackson

Centre: Dunbar, Bennett, Jones, Scott - Taylor to join the squad when fit and played a few games

Back three: Hogg, Seymour, Maitland, Visser, the King.

Starting team: 1. Dell 2. Ford 3. Nel/Fagerson 4. Gray 5. Gray 6. Wilson 7. Watson 8. Strauss 9. Laidlaw 10. Russell 11. Seymour 12. Dunbar 13. Jones 14. Maitland 15. Hogg

16. Brown 17. Reid 18. Fagerson/Welsh 19. Swinson 20. Bradbury 21. Price 22. Scott 23. the King.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Re: Six Nations 2017

Postby gowrie on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:29 am

Don't see much point bringing Jackson in when he's third choice at his club. Weir's not really the quality we need, but at least he's regularly playing.

Also wouldn't have Jones there, he's either injured or at the beginning of his preseason just coming back from an injury and three months of no rugby at all. Centre isn't a worry for us, so I'd say leave him in SA and bring him back for the Summer tests.

Don't have enough depth to change any of the other choices, bar I'd want Price over Laidlaw, he's bang on form right now.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:45 am

gowrie wrote:Don't see much point bringing Jackson in when he's third choice at his club. Weir's not really the quality we need, but at least he's regularly playing.

Also wouldn't have Jones there, he's either injured or at the beginning of his preseason just coming back from an injury and three months of no rugby at all. Centre isn't a worry for us, so I'd say leave him in SA and bring him back for the Summer tests.

Don't have enough depth to change any of the other choices, bar I'd want Price over Laidlaw, he's bang on form right now.

Jackson is playing more lately and fits the style more than Weir. Price and Russell's game management was at best patchy and at worst lost them the match today, Laidlaw's game management for Scotland is spot on so get the nod from me.

I agree it's mad we've gone from marvelling at our centre stocks to a bit of a crises.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I'm bored so figure with the Six Nations around the corner it's a good time to start talking about the squad. I'm not too confident, we have some key players missing and a tough start vs Ireland one of the top 3 teams in the world first up and then a trip to Paris which is always tough and then you find yourself two defeats against Wales.

Props: Dell, Reid, Allan, Welsh, Fagerson, Nel (if not concussed, if he is Berghan).

Hookers: Ford, Brown

Locks: Gray x2, Swinson, Toolis

Back row: Barclay, Bradbury, du Preez, Harley, Strauss, Watson, Wilson

Scrum Half: Laidlaw, Price

Standoff: Russell, Jackson

Centre: Dunbar, Bennett, Jones, Scott - Taylor to join the squad when fit and played a few games

Back three: Hogg, Seymour, Maitland, Visser, the King.

Starting team: 1. Dell 2. Ford 3. Nel/Fagerson 4. Gray 5. Gray 6. Wilson 7. Watson 8. Strauss 9. Laidlaw 10. Russell 11. Seymour 12. Dunbar 13. Jones 14. Maitland 15. Hogg

16. Brown 17. Reid 18. Fagerson/Welsh 19. Swinson 20. Bradbury 21. Price 22. Scott 23. the King.

I think I agree with that overall squad.

Jones has to be involved in the squad if he is fit. He looked one of our best backs in the AIs IMO. He doesn't need to start if he isn't up to match fitness but think he is one we need to keep involved. Especially if trying to convince him to move.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:09 am

Props:
Alex Allan
Simon Berghan
Allan Dell
Zander Fagerson
Willem Nel
Gordon Reid
Jon Welsh

Hookers:
Fraser Brown
Ross Ford
Stuart McInally

Locks:
Jonny Gray
Richie Gray
Grant Gilchrist
Tim Swinson
Ben Toolis

Backrow:
John Barclay
Cornell Du Preez
John Hardie
Rob Harley
Josh Strauss
Hamish Watson
Ryan Wilson

Scrum-halves:
Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN
Ali Price
Henry Pyrgos

Fly-halves:
Finn Russell
Duncan Weir

Centres:
Mark Bennett
Alex Dunbar
Huw Jones
Matt Scott
Duncan Taylor

Back-Three:
Stuart Hogg
Damien Hoyland
Sean Maitland
Tommy Seymour
Tim Visser
Last edited by gowrie on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:12 am

Bradbury and Kinghorn have been our best players this year with Watson. I can't understand them not being in the squad!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:14 am

It's pretty strange, how is Du Preez ahead of Bradbury? Shouldn't be any contest based on form this season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 am

They'll maybe want du Preez capped. Or think he's higher up the pecking order at 8 than Bradbury is? du Preez does a bit more work at the ruck, I think, which Cotter is wanting.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 am

Frenchy wrote:They'll maybe want du Preez capped. Or think he's higher up the pecking order at 8 than Bradbury is? du Preez does a bit more work at the ruck, I think, which Cotter is wanting.

I think that his work at the breakdown is the key, also du Preez is very good at offloads and that's what Cotter wants. He's played well too lately and his three years of being one in the best in the Pro12 don't go over night.

I don't understand picking players injured or off form and can't make the Edinburgh team but leaving out guys who are flying. Hoyland has been poor this year and there's three wingers there - he'll be released for club games anyway so why not give Kinghorn time with the Scotland squad.

Also congrats to Toolis, Berghan and Matt Scott - deserved selections.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:31 am

Aye, special congrats to Berghan on his first (I think) call up.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:47 am

Cotter said during the AIs he wanted more from Bradbury around the rucks which I am not sure we have seen him do for ER, irrespective how good his defence and ball carrying is. Kinghorn, for me, needs to work on his tacking he has slipped off a couple this season plus there is massive jump in level from Pro12 to 6Nations. I do expect both to go to Oz in the summer though.

I don’t have an issue with DuPreez being ahead of Bradbury. DuPreez looks to be getting back into form over the last few games and (we heard it enough from VC about Huw Blake) “offers something different” to Strauss, Wilson and Bradbury in terms of his offloading ability. Bit surprised Hardie is in, when did he last play? and I thought Ashe may have made the squad.

Disagree that Hoyland has been poor, he is a winger for Edinburgh remember so has had very little to work with at times this season, he does have a very good work rate and comes looking for the ball a lot . For Deans fail to pass on Saturday he came from the blindside right through in support I don’t doubt a Jones ,Dunbar or Taylor would have found him with a pass so think he deserves a chance plus Visser has been our for a while I think so he may not be released back.

Echo Frenchys Congrats to Berghan certainly looks the fittest we have seen him and has improved a lot round the park.

Toolis very well deserved a hard earned call up hopefully he gets some game time.

From an ER perspective it leaves us a bit thin in the Prop and second row departments again with injuries and call ups but great to see a few more ER lads in the squad this time.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Hoyland played in a less expansive side last year and consistently stood out, I want him to look for work more as he's effective when he pops up but hasn't done it enough for me.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:25 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Disagree that Hoyland has been poor, he is a winger for Edinburgh remember so has had very little to work with at times this season, he does have a very good work rate and comes looking for the ball a lot . For Deans fail to pass on Saturday he came from the blindside right through in support I don’t doubt a Jones ,Dunbar or Taylor would have found him with a pass so think he deserves a chance plus Visser has been our for a while I think so he may not be released back.

I agree here. He has not lost at all his edge in attack and I think he's improved his defense. I'm quite happy of his season so far. He will be missed during the six nations period if he's not released.
I'm glad we keep Bradbury and Kinghorn during the six nations, they will be useful. Great opportunity for Ritchie, Carmichael, Cosgrove and McCallum to stake a claim in the forwards.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:33 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:From an ER perspective it leaves us a bit thin in the Prop and second row departments again with injuries and call ups but great to see a few more ER lads in the squad this time.

10 forwards (5 front-rowers / 2 locks / 3 back-rowers) / 2 backs (1 stand-off kicker / 1 winger finsisher)... Who said we did not play a 10 man game? :D
germain
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Cotter doesn't seem much concerned with the concept of match fitness, does he?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Next

Return to All other rugby chat