Super Six

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Super Six

Postby artie fufkin on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:21 pm

The Scottish Super Six was brought the AGM at the weekend. It appears that it is essential for the growth of rugby in Scotland. With the four Districts and two floaters being franchises what club(s) are expected to throw their hats into the ring? Both Melrose and Ayr have been mentioned as possibilities and it's difficult to argue that they wouldn't provide a decent place for semi-pros, but what others might be up for this? Will it see amalgamations or will club's dig in to defeat this? For me as an irregular club spectator it's an intriguing prospect. Would a semi pro Edinburgh side draw decent crowds? What outside funding can be brought to the table? Does anyone care?
I've got no timimg
artie fufkin
World Cup Star

Re: Super Six

Postby ratty on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:48 am

It's not an answer to your question but I'd like to see some clubs not traditionally associated with semi professional players be considered. In conversations with others names like Melrose, Ayr, Stirling County, Glasgow Hawks seem to recur. The question for me is should clubs who have been more active in generating their own revenue streams be favoured, and do these clubs want involved. The accies development for example will hopefully allow them to potentially match the SRU funding but I'm hearing they have already written off their chances of being involved.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:14 am

I cant see how this is going to work. Other than maybe Aberdeen I cant see how they will generate enough interest and people to go and watch the teams to make it anywhere near self financing (not the short term goal but has to be long term). In the Borders it will be Melrose as they are probably 3/4 of the way there anyway. Gala, Hawick, Selkirk, Jed and Kelso will not be happy about it though. They already lose players to Melrose and it will get worse.

Edinburgh wont be easy but they will probably get 2, assuming Heriots? Then a fight between Watsonians, Currie, Burghmuir etc, Watsonians would go down like a lead balloon given where Edinburgh are now based. . Agree it would seem daft if Accies build that ground only to find the top level is a closed shop. It always did seem an odd thing to do if the SRU weren't interested in using it for Edinburgh.
Glasgow may well also get 2, although it would make sense is Stirling was one of them and Aberdeen is essential.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm

I think one strength of the proposal is that it puts the onus on potential bidders to come up with a model that works for their area, rather than someone in Murrayfield deciding that from the outset. That said, where there are differences of view in an area, say the Borders, then the SRU will still find itself having to decide what is going to work best and picking one bid over another. I think some unhappiness is inevitable, but is a price worth paying.

I would love to see The South return and it looks like a straight choice between Melrose and a district team for the South slot. I can't see one of the floating sides being located there, given the population. While I love Melrose to bits, I really hope it's a district side.

In the Glasgow district, it's looking like Ayr and either Hawks or Stirling County (if they are in Glasgow). If the SRU is interested in semi-pro rugby being located in areas not currently served, that'd seem to favour County.

Caledonia would logically be covered by a team based in Aberdeen, which might play a few games in Inverness.

Edinburgh might have two teams, as it claims to be a rugby city. Who knows who that might be? Or it might be one, with the final team located in Perth/Dundee. While geographic logic would dictate the latter, I fear that politics will drive us to the former.

We'll see how it all pans out in the end, but I'm pretty optimistic that this is going to work - after a bit of creative tension in identifying who will be involved.
Hail to The Berghanator.

#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:02 pm

The best geographical split would be something like:

Aberdeen - Caley academy already established up there IIRC.
Stirling County - Covers the central area and midlands
Ayr - Covers the west
Hawks - Covers Glasgow
Heriots or AN Other like Accies covering Edinburgh
Melrose or similar for borders.

However, best geographical split doesn't necessarily present the best rugby split. But I do think the idea is a good one, even if it fails the SRU are trying to do something positive.

The suggestion is that players below the super 6 will not be paid. How the SRU regulate that will be interesting!
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Is that Super 6 project is just an idea for the future or is there something more concrete this year already ?
Because the draft of professionnal players has been made as usual and I though this semi-professionnal Super 6 was set up to avoid professionnal players operating in the Premiership, etc...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:38 pm

germain wrote:Is that Super 6 project is just an idea for the future or is there something more concrete this year already ?
Because the draft of professionnal players has been made as usual and I though this semi-professionnal Super 6 was set up to avoid professionnal players operating in the Premiership, etc...

Seems pretty serious, but it's starting next season.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:36 pm

Why is Heriots getting mentioned as the front runner for Edinburgh? From a position of relative ignorance, what do they have to offer ahead of others?
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Rumours I've heard are that Currie are planning to make a big run at getting one of the spots, and Boroughmuir aren't interested.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:53 pm

Frenchy wrote:
germain wrote:Is that Super 6 project is just an idea for the future or is there something more concrete this year already ?

Seems pretty serious, but it's starting next season.

Thanks. :)
germain
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 pm

Actually it's the season after next, the 2019/20 season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 am

Weegie wrote:Why is Heriots getting mentioned as the front runner for Edinburgh? From a position of relative ignorance, what do they have to offer ahead of others?

I assumed it's just because they've been by far the most successful Edinburgh club recently.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:37 am

I think this will wind up as one North / Midlands (either Stirling or Aberdeen), two Edinburgh (one private school FP style team and one not so Heriots or Watsons plus Currie), two Glasgow (probably Hawks and maybe Ayr) and one borders (probably Melrose). However I think the sensible thing would be to have two in the borders given it's the breeding ground of a big block of our talent.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:11 pm

gowrie wrote:Actually it's the season after next, the 2019/20 season.

They're taking their time. Maybe a good thing not to rush it. One year to let people think about it. An other to let people really apply for it.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:18 pm

germain wrote:
gowrie wrote:Actually it's the season after next, the 2019/20 season.

They're taking their time. Maybe a good thing not to rush it. One year to let people think about it. An other to let people really apply for it.

They have I think until around March to put together bids - that's wuite a short timescale all things considered to put together a significant business plan. Then there will be several months of review of the tenders, announcement probably prior to next season giving ten months or so to really get your recruitment together. Seems a sensible timeline - if they'd gone for next season they would definitely be accused of rushing it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Next

Return to All other rugby chat