Scotland - Samoa

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Scotland - Samoa

Postby BigD163 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:37 pm

I think Marfo deserves a mention. At least 2 turnovers and got a shove on at times in the scrum.

Some ok performances and some really poor.

On other MBs I've been vocal about Taylor as Scotland's defence coach. I don't think he's up to it.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:40 pm

BigD163 wrote:On other MBs I've been vocal about Taylor as Scotland's defence coach. I don't think he's up to it.

Think you're right. Defence has been a huge weakness for Scotland for a while now, surely we should have tried someone new? Glasgow's defence has improved a fair bit since he was replaced by Kenny Murray.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:05 pm

gowrie wrote:
BigD163 wrote:On other MBs I've been vocal about Taylor as Scotland's defence coach. I don't think he's up to it.

Think you're right. Defence has been a huge weakness for Scotland for a while now, surely we should have tried someone new? Glasgow's defence has improved a fair bit since he was replaced by Kenny Murray.

Has it? Watching the Leinster game it was crazy tackling optional stuff.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:11 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
gowrie wrote:Think you're right. Defence has been a huge weakness for Scotland for a while now, surely we should have tried someone new? Glasgow's defence has improved a fair bit since he was replaced by Kenny Murray.

Has it? Watching the Leinster game it was crazy tackling optional stuff.

Even in that game, they conceded just about half of what Scotland just did. With inexperienced kids right across the team and 20 minutes down to 14, and overall they still have the second best defence in the league. We're currently third as well, so how do you take those two together and produce a defence like that?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:15 pm

BigD163 wrote:I think Marfo deserves a mention. At least 2 turnovers and got a shove on at times in the scrum.

Some ok performances and some really poor.

On other MBs I've been vocal about Taylor as Scotland's defence coach. I don't think he's up to it.

Marfo, Rambo, Toolis and Watson were all real positives, as was CDP when he came on

Gutted to hear about Nel's injury, he was going well too.

The defence today makes me want to buy a bigger couch to hide behind for next week
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:00 pm

Line out went well on rambos watch.

Of the pack only watson carried more metres than DuPreez and he only played 20mins per ESPN.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=289234
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Entertaining game, and great credit to Samoa for coming back so well. Not a great performance from Scotland, defensively poor and despite fielding an entire Weeg backline I didn't think they played that we'll together. I don't often go to Scotland games, and the tedious Mexican waves and sight of people streaming for the exits with 5 minutes to go and the game still in the balance reminded me why. Why do they bother coming? I know I'm becoming a grumpy old man, but the dismal Mexican waves really p*ss me off, and make me yearn to be back in the Library at Myreside.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:35 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Line out went well on rambos watch.

Of the pack only watson carried more metres than DuPreez and he only played 20mins per ESPN.

According to those Watson led the forwards in carries, metres made and tackles with 0 missed, and didn't concede a single penalty. That in addition to his breakdown work.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Entertaining game, and great credit to Samoa for coming back so well. Not a great performance from Scotland, defensively poor and despite fielding an entire Weeg backline I didn't think they played that we'll together. I don't often go to Scotland games, and the tedious Mexican waves and sight of people streaming for the exits with 5 minutes to go and the game still in the balance reminded me why. Why do they bother coming? I know I'm becoming a grumpy old man, but the dismal Mexican waves really p*ss me off, and make me yearn to be back in the Library at Myreside.

Too many rugby tourists I’m afraid. 8k at Glasgow games 4K at Edinburgh. 50 k left. Half that for geographical/appropriate reasons. What’re do the other 25 k appear from?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:15 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:Entertaining game, and great credit to Samoa for coming back so well. Not a great performance from Scotland, defensively poor and despite fielding an entire Weeg backline I didn't think they played that we'll together. I don't often go to Scotland games, and the tedious Mexican waves and sight of people streaming for the exits with 5 minutes to go and the game still in the balance reminded me why. Why do they bother coming? I know I'm becoming a grumpy old man, but the dismal Mexican waves really p*ss me off, and make me yearn to be back in the Library at Myreside.

Too many rugby tourists I’m afraid. 8k at Glasgow games 4K at Edinburgh. 50 k left. Half that for geographical/appropriate reasons. What’re do the other 25 k appear from?

A lot of rugby tourism but there are other factors. Some families will go to scotland games before Edinburgh/Glasgow. There are a lot of players around Glasgow, Edinburgh and fife/central who won't go to pro team games. They normally play on Saturday and often won't bother with regular pro team games etc.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 am

I allowed a 25k tolerance for that. Lol.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 am

Is it Matt Taylors fault that the players were losing individual contacts?

I thought the issue was a total lack of intensity. Russell missing touch early doors summed it up.

I didn't feel I saw 100% from most players today.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:57 am

GaryIPA wrote:

Would it be possible to supply a list of the "appropriate reasons" that would allow me or anyone lese to attend Murrayfield?

Seriously the snobbery around this is unreal, people are quite entitled to go to the game if they wish. They are also allowed to go to the toilet when they need to. Different people find enjoyment in different ways, for many watching the rugby while chatting with their friend and having a beer is that. It is not just for those who want to fully immerse themselves in the game and concentrate fully on it. Sharing and discussing what you are seeing is all part of live sport.

There seems to be a sense of real ownership and that if you don't attend myrside or Sctotoun then you are not entitled to go. Similarly if you must attend there are a list of requirements, such as not taking part in Mexican waves, not drinking beer, going to the toilet, being on your phone or talking during the game. Oh and you must create an atmosephere!

This is not specifically aimed at you Gary, it is all over the weedgie board too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:09 pm

gowrie wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Line out went well on rambos watch.

According to those Watson led the forwards in carries, metres made and tackles with 0 missed, and didn't concede a single penalty. That in addition to his breakdown work.

Stats updated now. With espn they always update the next morning.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Is it Matt Taylors fault that the players were losing individual contacts?

I thought the issue was a total lack of intensity. Russell missing touch early doors summed it up.

I didn't feel I saw 100% from most players today.

Taylor is responsible for the systems though. We are often too passive and welcome pressure under his direction. This is not a new thing. The Welsh and Irish 6N games are a prime example too.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat