2018 Autumn Tests

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 2018 Autumn Tests

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:28 pm

Agree, totally imbalanced midfield meant we had no plan b. We didn’t play to the conditions and too many players seemed to be wanting to be a playmaker and have a moment of magic. Russell Was very poor. It was noticeable that we got more front foot ball with Dunbar. If Jones is the go to 13, which he rightly is, then I think we need a bit of ballast at 12, Dunbar, Scott or even Taylor, I think Norne makes Russell Play better but again we would need more bulk outside for that to work fully.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:45 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree, totally imbalanced midfield meant we had no plan b. We didn’t play to the conditions and too many players seemed to be wanting to be a playmaker and have a moment of magic. Russell Was very poor. It was noticeable that we got more front foot ball with Dunbar. If Jones is the go to 13, which he rightly is, then I think we need a bit of ballast at 12, Dunbar, Scott or even Taylor, I think Norne makes Russell Play better but again we would need more bulk outside for that to work fully.

We need to be picking the team to win against given opposition and conditions and got it wrong today, Horne a good option at 12 and we are unlucky perhaps that both Scott and Johnson were injured as that limited choices in this series and both perhaps offer something different.

Too easy for Argentina to slow ball today, just a brief hand on it stopped the really quick ball we need for the toonie plan but that is three matches this series against the better teams we have been easily countered and have taken too long to adapt.

Big plus, and probably bit of blue and burnt orange specs but, Ritchie I think has been our top performer this autumn consistently good at both six and seven.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:01 am

Agree, Ritchie should have been mote, can only assume whoever awarded it got bored of the game and just picked the name they'd heard the most.

Dell was very good too. Kinghorn started brilliantly but then didn't see the ball again.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree, Ritchie should have been mote, can only assume whoever awarded it got bored of the game and just picked the name they'd heard the most.

Dell was very good too. Kinghorn started brilliantly but then didn't see the ball again.

I was surprised by how well Ritchie did, I thought he got washed out vs Wales but against Fiji, SA and Argentina he was very impressive. His carrying was good, line out work was mostly good, tackling was aggressive and his breakdown work was top drawer. Had the aggression and bite this pack has lacked too.

Bradbury, Ritchie, Barclay, Hamilton and Crosbie is unbelievable depth for Edinburgh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree, totally imbalanced midfield meant we had no plan b. We didn’t play to the conditions and too many players seemed to be wanting to be a playmaker and have a moment of magic. Russell Was very poor. It was noticeable that we got more front foot ball with Dunbar. If Jones is the go to 13, which he rightly is, then I think we need a bit of ballast at 12, Dunbar, Scott or even Taylor, I think Norne makes Russell Play better but again we would need more bulk outside for that to work fully.

We need to be picking the team to win against given opposition and conditions and got it wrong today, Horne a good option at 12 and we are unlucky perhaps that both Scott and Johnson were injured as that limited choices in this series and both perhaps offer something different.

Too easy for Argentina to slow ball today, just a brief hand on it stopped the really quick ball we need for the toonie plan but that is three matches this series against the better teams we have been easily countered and have taken too long to adapt.

Big plus, and probably bit of blue and burnt orange specs but, Ritchie I think has been our top performer this autumn consistently good at both six and seven.

Well no blue and burnt orange specs here and I would agree with you. He was comfortably the best individual performer on the pitch against Fiji and again yesterday. Should have had a coup!e of MotM awards in his first 2 starts for Scotland at Murrayfield but for dodgy calls by those awarding them!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Fantastic win for Fiji in France last night. Just shows what they can do when they get some time together. Hopefully Bill Mata gets a couple of weeks off now and is raring to go again against Newcastle.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to All other rugby chat