2018 Autumn Tests

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 2018 Autumn Tests

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:39 pm

One highlight was watson swatting away morriarty with a big hand off.

I don't think any of the new players looked out of their depth just bits and combinations/balance across the team need looked at.

We also need a plan B, I like the idea of us playing a high Tempo game but when we are being slowed legally or otherwise we need to be able to do something different.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:00 pm

I must confess I don't like our centre combination,they gave too much space to the welsh attack,not a fan of Huw Jones his tackling at this level is shocking;Dunbar is slightly better.
That double movement by Gray was a bit of a brainfart and that kick late on to the deadball area should have resulted in a try. The only positive,the Edinburgh forwards involved fronted up well.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Quite how Farrell got away with that is beyond me.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Welsh did us at the breakdown - they committed more players and managed to slow down our ball, often illegally but the ref seemed quite relaxed about their hands in the ruck, lying on the wrong side and having a player on wrong side slowing down our clearing out! We never really got over the gain line - we should have had GC in there to do more carrying and our back row was too light, a Bradbury would have been good. I really like Matt Fagerson and would have started him at 6 instead of Ritchie. Nel and Dell just didnt seem to get ball in hand and get over the gain line, we need more from them.

The lack of fast ball and inability to get over the gain line meant that ball to Hastings was slow and usually came with an offside defender. They targeted him and closed him down and as a result he looked a bit lost at times. Dunbar and Jones are not good defenders and Dunbar got done for pace by Anscombe which meant Jones had two attackers to try and tackle for the Davies try. Matt Scott looks a better option these days at 12, Dunbar just looks flat footed when defending.

Despite all the problems we had lots of ball and but for Gray brainfart with double movement and Horne just knocking on when his wee brother kicked over the top we could have been a lot closer to, or even beaten the Sheepshaggers. A few selection changes and a bit more confidence and we should be ok.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:34 pm

biffer wrote:Quite how Farrell got away with that is beyond me.

Agreed - that was a defo shoulder and no arms tackle at a fairly dangerous hight. Should have been penalty and a YC.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:33 pm

BruceLee wrote:I must confess I don't like our centre combination,they gave too much space to the welsh attack,not a fan of Huw Jones his tackling at this level is shocking;Dunbar is slightly better.
That double movement by Gray was a bit of a brainfart and that kick late on to the deadball area should have resulted in a try. The only positive,the Edinburgh forwards involved fronted up well.

Dunbar is a lot more then 'slightly better'. When Dunbar is at 12 our midfield defence is usually streets ahead of where it is when we have any other combo.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:47 am

biffer wrote:
BruceLee wrote:I must confess I don't like our centre combination,they gave too much space to the welsh attack,not a fan of Huw Jones his tackling at this level is shocking;Dunbar is slightly better.

Dunbar is a lot more then 'slightly better'. When Dunbar is at 12 our midfield defence is usually streets ahead of where it is when we have any other combo.

Well done for blocking out our last trip to Twickenham.

Dunbar being good in defence is a myth, one on one and position wise he often leaves a lot to be desired.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:16 am

The Feral Goat wrote:One highlight was watson swatting away morriarty with a big hand off.

I don't think any of the new players looked out of their depth just bits and combinations/balance across the team need looked at.

We also need a plan B, I like the idea of us playing a high Tempo game but when we are being slowed legally or otherwise we need to be able to do something different.

Couldn’t agree more. If you telegraph that your philosophy is open, fast-paced rugby then you can’t be surprised when teams play like that against us. So what’s the plan B? Our forwards didn’t/couldn’t provide an alternative and we don’t seem to have or want to revert to a kicking game. Our defence was particularly poor though. That Welsh try off the line out and the other one up the blind side :(

All fixable.
Burnt orange and midnight blue army!
The Voice of Treason
'mon franchising
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:20 am

biffer wrote:

Agree with this. Dunbar was a Trojan. Jones missing in action.
The Voice of Treason
'mon franchising
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:21 am

doedin wrote:
biffer wrote:Quite how Farrell got away with that is beyond me.

Agreed - that was a defo shoulder and no arms tackle at a fairly dangerous hight. Should have been penalty and a YC.

Referee bottled it
The Voice of Treason
'mon franchising
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 pm

Le Jock Sportif wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:One highlight was watson swatting away morriarty with a big hand off.

Couldn’t agree more. If you telegraph that your philosophy is open, fast-paced rugby then you can’t be surprised when teams play like that against us. So what’s the plan B? Our forwards didn’t/couldn’t provide an alternative and we don’t seem to have or want to revert to a kicking game. Our defence was particularly poor though. That Welsh try off the line out and the other one up the blind side :(

All fixable.

I'd say our plan B (or maybe plan A+ as it's an add-on to the run and gun stuff) is field position and maul them over. Which is why our hookers have scored more tries in the Townsend era (14) than any other position on the field (including both wingers combined). Even without being able to get our outside backs involved in any significant attacking sense we still created enough try-scoring opportunities to win that game yesterday - but failed to take them for a variety of reasons.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 pm

It was a Welsh hand pulling it back. The tackler (Dillon Lewis) never releases and then tries to jackal the ball illegally. Which should have been a penalty for Scotland.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:30 am

disco wrote:
Le Jock Sportif wrote:

All fixable.

I'd say our plan B (or maybe plan A+ as it's an add-on to the run and gun stuff) is field position and maul them over. Which is why our hookers have scored more tries in the Townsend era (14) than any other position on the field (including both wingers combined). Even without being able to get our outside backs involved in any significant attacking sense we still created enough try-scoring opportunities to win that game yesterday - but failed to take them for a variety of reasons.

Hmmm. Field position is what we didn’t do very well. We play in the middle of the pitch too much. When we were in the 22, we reverted to white line fever pick and drive and the Welsh had our measure there. Mauls really only work off own-ball line outs these days and from about 15 yards in what with the two-stop rule. We need more than that. We need to be prepared to kick more.
The Voice of Treason
'mon franchising
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 am

disco wrote:It was a Welsh hand pulling it back. The tackler (Dillon Lewis) never releases and then tries to jackal the ball illegally. Which should have been a penalty for Scotland.

They were doing that all afternoon and the ref let them get away with it. Guys off feet with hands in the ruck or not supporting their own body weight with hands all over the ball. Ref should get a bollocking for the way he reffed the breakdown. It killed us as we could not get any tempo or broken play into the game and like in the 6N game played the whole game running at a red brick wall.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Croft_No.6 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 am

Head Coach Gregor Townsend has added six players to the Scotland squad for the 2018 Autumn Tests.

Glasgow Warriors quartet Adam Ashe (back-row), Scott Cummings (lock), Nick Grigg (centre) and Stuart Hogg (full-back) are joined by inbound English Premiership pair Josh Strauss (Sale Sharks back-row) and Duncan Weir (Worcester Warriors stand-off).

The additions follow injuries sustained by Scarlets back-row Blade Thomson (head) and Harlequins centre James Lang (rib) as they represented their club sides at the weekend, while David Denton (Leicester Tigers) and Matt Scott (Edinburgh) continue their ongoing recovery from head injuries with their respective clubs.

The national team also confirmed Edinburgh trio Ross Ford (hooker), Henry Pyrgos (scrum-half) and Dougie Fife (wing) have been released back to the club.
Croft_No.6
Embra Debut

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat