2018 Autumn Tests

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 2018 Autumn Tests

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm

We need to rotate and build depth so happy enough with that side.

Will be a very tough game though, would not be a major shock if we lost. Its just the sort of game we usually struggle in too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 pm

That team should have enough experience and cohesion to beat a side that has been together for a week. Fiji have dangerous individuals, some of the best in the game, but if we approach the match in a professional manner, make our tackles, clean our rucks quickly, scrummage hard, keep the heid, we should win. Fiji just won't have the sort of defence or nous at the breakdown that we were up against last week

Big games needed from the young backrowers
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Tichtheid wrote:That team should have enough experience and cohesion to beat a side that has been together for a week. Fiji have dangerous individuals, some of the best in the game, but if we approach the match in a professional manner, make our tackles, clean our rucks quickly, scrummage hard, keep the heid, we should win. Fiji just won't have the sort of defence or nous at the breakdown that we were up against last week

Yeah the plan is clearly to beat them with a fairly simple gameplan which totally makes sense.

Ruck and maul time we'll beat Fiji handily so need to keep it tight. Very concerned about Radrada Vs Dunbar though. Who I can't understand his continued selection.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:That team should have enough experience and cohesion to beat a side that has been together for a week. Fiji have dangerous individuals, some of the best in the game, but if we approach the match in a professional manner, make our tackles, clean our rucks quickly, scrummage hard, keep the heid, we should win. Fiji just won't have the sort of defence or nous at the breakdown that we were up against last week

Yeah the plan is clearly to beat them with a fairly simple gameplan which totally makes sense.

Ruck and maul time we'll beat Fiji handily so need to keep it tight. Very concerned about Radrada Vs Dunbar though. Who I can't understand his continued selection.

Given injuries we don’t have a huge amount of options in the centre. Assuming Horne is in at 12 for an additional kicking option then I am not sure a midfield of Horne and Jones or Horne and Harris is what we want v Fiji. Both Jones and Harris have previously been exposed at 13 be it due to a system issue or individual errors.

I rate Dunbar a fair bit higher than you FKL :) , for me the system in the past was worked better with Dunbar at 13 he appears to lead the defensive from 13 better than a number of others, whether or not he misses individual tackles or post-injuries still has the pace to be an effective attacking 13 we will find out tomorrow.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:40 am

Scotland v Fiji match preview part 2 for the Scottish Rugby Blog.

Head to heads plus:

- the man on a hot streak of tries at Murrayfield
- the 1st time combination in the backline
- the player on the bench for first time in 3.5 years

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2018/11/scotland-v-fiji-autumn-tests-2018-match-preview-pt-ii-head-to-heads/
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

Given injuries we don’t have a huge amount of options in the centre. Assuming Horne is in at 12 for an additional kicking option then I am not sure a midfield of Horne and Jones or Horne and Harris is what we want v Fiji. Both Jones and Harris have previously been exposed at 13 be it due to a system issue or individual errors.

I rate Dunbar a fair bit higher than you FKL :) , for me the system in the past was worked better with Dunbar at 13 he appears to lead the defensive from 13 better than a number of others, whether or not he misses individual tackles or post-injuries still has the pace to be an effective attacking 13 we will find out tomorrow.

His defence isn't good though - look at the Welsh tries last week, he was caught out and he doesn't have lateral quickness to make up for it. He doesn't put in dominant hits either.

This is a good article to show Jones was hung out to dry by the defensive systems: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/analysis ... tually-is/ . What Hastings and Price were doing notwithstanding, Dunbar also had a nightmare.

I want Jones in every game, he's the best 13 we have.

I'm also so tired of Ryan Wilson starting no matter what.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Rugbypass article is grade 1 SteveWalsh.
Jones is sucked in and leaves his man for North's try. Still gets back and still makes a cockup of the tackle.
Have a look at a video of the second and then read the criticism of where certain players are in the run up to it - the author obviously didn't.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:26 pm

bignose wrote:
Wottie wrote:Having watched Raynal's oversight of the breakdown, it is little wonder that a side like Scotland that relies on broken play and quick ball needn't bother turning up when this guy has the whistle!!

And we knew this before the game and seemingly didn't adapt the plans. I'm pretty sure the Welsh did.

And powderpuff carriers and weak clearouts did nothing to change Monsieur Reynal's mind or get the welshies out of the way.

Reynard favours whoever appears to win the breakdown. And yes we knew that or should have. We were knocked back, poor clearance and slow ball. A plan B might have helped but we were not nearly quick enough, physical enough or accurate enough at the tackle area. One or 2 forwards lucky to be picked again, need a rocket up their KelvinDeaker.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:His defence isn't good though - look at the Welsh tries last week, he was caught out and he doesn't have lateral quickness to make up for it. He doesn't put in dominant hits either.

This is a good article to show Jones was hung out to dry by the defensive systems: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/analysis ... tually-is/ . What Hastings and Price were doing notwithstanding, Dunbar also had a nightmare.

But the whole backline is not functioning properly as a defensive unit, it is not a single player, you can’t have Dunbar being poor but Jones a victim of a system. Jones’s tackle technique is found wanting but giving him the benefit of the doubt it is perhaps as a consequence of scrambling to reach the player because the system has not worked properly or Wales have identified how to break it.

The point on Kinghorn’s positioning is interesting as for Edinburgh it has been much improved although his one on one tackling can still be iffy it was not an issue in the instances detailed. But in the article it points out he has no cover coming across from the opposite wing, so he has to be in two minds.

Either the players are struggling with the system or rival coaches have identified how to exploit it with relative ease, I just don’t buy that all the backs playing last weekend are that poor at tackling.

I think Townsend and co have been out coached a few times at International level and I don’t think we see him have the team adapt quick enough when the game plan is not working. Coaching team cant keep blaming the players when things do not work.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:37 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:His defence isn't good though - look at the Welsh tries last week, he was caught out and he doesn't have lateral quickness to make up for it. He doesn't put in dominant hits either.

But the whole backline is not functioning properly as a defensive unit, it is not a single player, you can’t have Dunbar being poor but Jones a victim of a system. Jones’s tackle technique is found wanting but giving him the benefit of the doubt it is perhaps as a consequence of scrambling to reach the player because the system has not worked properly or Wales have identified how to break it.

The point on Kinghorn’s positioning is interesting as for Edinburgh it has been much improved although his one on one tackling can still be iffy it was not an issue in the instances detailed. But in the article it points out he has no cover coming across from the opposite wing, so he has to be in two minds.

Either the players are struggling with the system or rival coaches have identified how to exploit it with relative ease, I just don’t buy that all the backs playing last weekend are that poor at tackling.

I think Townsend and co have been out coached a few times at International level and I don’t think we see him have the team adapt quick enough when the game plan is not working. Coaching team cant keep blaming the players when things do not work.

No doubt his tackle technique needs work but the tries were a total failure from everyone, don't see why Jones gets blamed more than Seymour and Dunbar. Seymour is another who since the Lions has been a shadow of himself, it just seems Toonie has his favourites.

Yeah the article was kind on Kinghorn, I'm sure he'll learn in future as a young lad. The cover from Price was terrible - usually the 9s job it to sweep.

First phase defence has been a problem for a long while, that's on Taylor. But dropping one of our best performers for an average centre is just frustrating.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:15 pm

joe soap wrote:Rugbypass article is grade 1 SteveWalsh.
Jones is sucked in and leaves his man for North's try. Still gets back and still makes a cockup of the tackle.
Have a look at a video of the second and then read the criticism of where certain players are in the run up to it - the author obviously didn't.

Really?

A Davies wide pass cuts out most of the defence, Dunbar easily beaten on the outside giving Huw Jones a two on one against a world class 13. Sure, his tackle technique was found wanting but it was a two on one - internationals have to take advantage of that. And JD2 might be the best 13 in the game because he does.

Then you have Hastings asleep in the backfield. Too easy.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:36 pm

joe soap wrote:Rugbypass article is grade 1 SteveWalsh.

Really?

A Davies wide pass cuts out most of the defence, Dunbar easily beaten on the outside giving Huw Jones a two on one against a world class 13. Sure, his tackle technique was found wanting but it was a two on one - internationals have to take advantage of that. And JD2 might be the best 13 in the game because he does.

Then you have Hastings asleep in the backfield. Too easy.

sigh.

Really. First try Anscome takes the ball to the line, until facing Gray and Toolis, then passes out the back behind Davies to North, Davies cuts in and straight at Dunbar ( in fact he takes him backwards, they grapple a bit and there is a bit of holding) Outside Seymour is making Halfpenny and Kinghorn stepping up for their winger. Jones is sucked in towards Davies, then tries to recover, but North attacks the space he has left. Had he held his ground, North has no gap; and even then Jones recovers enough to make the tackle, but his technique is awful. That report also has a go at Kinghorn's position - I cannot see why.
Oh and this comes from a FK against our scrum for early engage; then from the reset option,front foot ball for Wales as our scrum got their heads shoved up their DonalCourtney. Pack was poor

2nd try, I agree with you Hastings should have been a bit smarter off his make across, but when the report has a go at where Price its clearly nonsense and ignores what has just happened - a Welsh lineout on the far side with Price in the 5M tramline and Hamish I think at "9".
Again welsh dummy runner holds Dunbar and Rambo just enough. Blocking if we do it most likely. Parkes then passes out the back to Anscome who attacks Jones and has Davies outside plus North running same line a first try. Our blindside wing (Lee Jones) has tacked North a bit then stopped, nowhere. So we are in a it of bother, wales have 4 on 3 with loads of space wide. But having convinced Anscome to make the pass, H Jones again gets into position to make the tackle, has to make it and doesn't make it. Arguably Davies nearly blows a try but for a missed tackle

Worth watching reality not a jamesmatthew analysis
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:00 am

A good result against dangerous opponents. It felt like the autumns of a few what's ago where we would be plucky and give NZ or SA a PaulHoniss for 50/60 mins before they blew us away and put 50 on us. It it may happen again next week.

Ritchie was outstanding and the back row blend looked good. Horne showed why he is a favourite of GT, but also why Galasgow fans get in his back. I do think Russell plays better with him there though. Similar you Dunbar had a good game but did have his lack of pace exposed early on.

I hate picking on individuals but the obvious step down for me is at loosehead. I like Alex Allan and he works hard but we could do with another LH stepping up, Reid is probably struggling now and Marfo has disapeared, I really hope Sutherland can't get some games and get his form back. The Schoe is arguably out in form player ( Mata doesn't count, he is a freak!) and won't let the shirt go easily though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:30 pm

Good win and a great team performance. The Edinburgh players all stood up to be counted with a fine game for Jamie Ritchie.

Is Watson injured? Might struggle to get a start next week.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I've been banging on about hooker try-scoring stats in various places but I thought this gave it some interesting context:

In 1992 - try value was increased to 5 points.

Between 1992 and 2017 Scotland hookers score 14 tries in 246 Tests.

2017 - Toony & coaching team took over.

Since then Scotland hookers have scored 15 tries in 16 Tests.

Stuart McInally - 5 tries
George Turner - 4 tries
Fraser Brown - 3 tries
Ross Ford - 3 tries

Comes off the back of increasing the physicality in the pack allied to some effective work by the coaches (and Dan McFarland in particular) at drilling the forwards around the lineout and maul.
disco
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to All other rugby chat