2019 Six Nations

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

2019 Six Nations

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:42 pm

As other squads are slowly being announced what's expected of Scotland.

I think that Dean at least deserves a call up. Wouldn't be happy if Toonie finds a spot for Dunbar but not Dean.

Graham and Ritchie pushing for starts?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Re: 2019 Six Nations

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Johnstone
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:51 pm

I think we are struggling for a number 8 at the moment, Ashe has gone off the boil from a high point a few weeks ago, Wilson isn't exactly pulling up trees at the moment, Blade Thomson is still out, as are Barclay, Bradbury and CDP. Denton is apparently due back in the next couple of weeks, Fagerson took a heavy knock this afternoon.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 pm

I thought Ashe was Glasgow's best player Vs Treviso but it'll be Wilson starting and being totally jamesmatthew Vs Italy.

Johnstone's an interesting shout - not sure he gets in ahead of Grigg and Jones.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Johnstone's an interesting shout - not sure he gets in ahead of Grigg and Jones.

Not on the back of one really good game. Jones plays well under Toonie's direction, Pete Horne will probably be at 12.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:

Not on the back of one really good game. Jones plays well under Toonie's direction, Pete Horne will probably be at 12.

Which game was that?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 am

Given the injuries I think there may be an opportunity for Crosbie to get in the squad to cover 8, although he may be a few games short of making enough impact this season, probably therefore Wilson and Strauss. Not sure on how long Hamilton is expected to be out he would be an option as well if fit as he was playing well.

Problem perhaps for Dean and Johnstone is that they are arguably a better pairing than individuals, they out played their Glasgow opponents, and Newcastle with Harris, in the midfield but I am still not convinced Toonie will select either, but do agree that if he is looking for the option of a bigger centre Dean has to be ahead of Dunbar at present and MacDowell has only played a few games so despite the hype has to be ahead of him you would think as well.

Pyrgos must also be making a case for himself ahead of Price.

Hooker McInally and then must be Cherry and Stewart, I don’t think Ford has played enough and well enough.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Given the injuries I think there may be an opportunity for Crosbie to get in the squad to cover 8, although he may be a few games short of making enough impact this season, probably therefore Wilson and Strauss. Not sure on how long Hamilton is expected to be out he would be an option as well if fit as he was playing well.

Problem perhaps for Dean and Johnstone is that they are arguably a better pairing than individuals, they out played their Glasgow opponents, and Newcastle with Harris, in the midfield but I am still not convinced Toonie will select either, but do agree that if he is looking for the option of a bigger centre Dean has to be ahead of Dunbar at present and MacDowell has only played a few games so despite the hype has to be ahead of him you would think as well.

Pyrgos must also be making a case for himself ahead of Price.

Hooker McInally and then must be Cherry and Stewart, I don’t think Ford has played enough and well enough.

MacDowell should be in to train with the squad as Crosbie and Graham were as apprentices. He's absolutely class. But I can't see him meriting a full call up over Dean or JJ. I like Harris much more than most but as you say he's not played as well as those two. Dunbar isn't good anymore but Horne, Jones, Johnson are nailed on. We'll see about Grigg but he's having a nice year. My centers would be Horne, Johnson, Jones, Grigg and Dean.

Ford will get the call over Cherry you'd think. Stewart Vs Kerr is the interesting call.

Pyrgos has to be in over Price, Price is dangerously close to a SHC (playing Welsh Prem rugby) one season wonder levels.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 pm

This is world cup year so no room for sentiment over prolonged evidence of poor/average performance when alternatives are performing well.

Ford should be behind Cherry for Scotland. Then Ford v Kerr for 3rd choice.
LHP - not sure if Reid has been playing but he was miles off the pace in the AI's. Dell and probably Sutherland and Allan for me.
Second row - GG should be ahead of Gray as undisputed 1st choice. Toolis and Skinner fighting with Gray for the other 2 spots in the 23.
Ritchie must be ahead of the rest for the 6 spot. He is playing far better than the others. Wilson has been mostly poor peaking at "nae bad" every time I have seen him this season. Strauss or Fagerson if fit should get the 8 shirt. Due to injuries Wilson will likely be in the 23. Although lets be honest GT will start him.
I see Pyrgos as the natural Laidlaw cover with Price the natural Horne cover. So will come down to GT preference, I suspect Price.
Dunbar has been off the pace for ages. He has lost all lateral speed and this showed in his defence in the AI's. I wouldn't have him in the squad.
Bar a cameo v England Grigg has been poor at international level. Solid club player but doesn't have it at international level so time to see what the others can do. I think JJ has the skill set to be an effective squad option at international level

Against Italy I would go with:
Dell
Rambo
Nel
GG
Gray
Ritchie
Watson
Strauss
Laidlaw
Russell
Graham - His form deserves it.
Horne
Jones
Maitland
Hogg

Subs: Cherry, Allan, Berghan, Skinner, Wilson (due to lack of alternatives), Horne, Johnson, Kinghorn

Wilson and Seymour will probably start and Hastings will probably make the bench.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:07 pm

With the amount of injuries to number 8s in particular I can see Skinner playing 6 to add a bit of carrying weight, Watson 7 and Wilson 8. Ritchie unfortunately drops to the bench as he has the ability to play across the back row.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Would it be selfish to hope he picks very few from Embra and leaves a good squad to continue the race for the league? :lol:
Pitfitter446
International

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Would it be selfish to hope he picks very few from Embra and leaves a good squad to continue the race for the league? :lol:

Hopefully we’ll see one of Kinghorn or Graham released to us for games during the championship, plus HP, I’m also hopeful that we’ll have Matt Scott back along with John Barclay and Magnus Bradbury, though they will be called into the squad toute suite once they’ve proved their match fitness, but we should get a couple of games out of them over that period.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:52 pm

Think the centres has to be Horne/Jones since Dunbar is so far off the pace and every one else is injured. I'd like to see what Dean could do in a Toonie backline, all the right bits and could be excellent if he put it all together in the same game.

Other than that don't think our options are very strong, Johnstone has had a pretty average season up until recent weeks, Grigg's not been amazing at test level, Johnson's unproven. McDowall's one for the future, but his games have been against mostly weakened sides, he's got a good way to go before he's ready for test rugby.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Dingwall at Northampton looks bright too and could be worth a look but I suspect he currently sees his rugby nationality as English.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Faletau is out now too
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Next

Return to All other rugby chat