Rugby v football and drink, last nights news?

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Rugby v football and drink, last nights news?

Postby Pitfitter446 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:58 am

Caught the end of the 10-30 news last night on STV? They seemed to be discussing why we can have a drink inside the ground and the footballs types can’t, anybody see it all?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Re: Rugby v football and drink, last nights news?

Postby kev on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Didn't see the piece on telly last night, but I guess it's on the back of Irvine Welsh's comments on Twitter. Which to be fair was more about drunken exploits in town and away from the ground.
As ever, there is an element of contrived grievance when the round-ball supporters bring this up. Tribalism and alcohol don't go well together, and while there can be an element of tribalism in the rugby support, at least it's at a level where we can happily sit down next to opposition support and enjoy the game and a beer together.
kev
World Cup Star

Postby Delight on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm

I think it is back on the agenda because Hampden is going to be used in the EURO 2020 competition and UEFA want to allow alcohol sales at all the venues. The atmosphere at club football is much more aggressive and the potential for trouble many times greater. International games are lower risk and are probably seen as a first step. The clubs will be keen to get the extra revenue. I can't see it ending well ....

It is interesting that despite rugby's private school stereotype, in football money buys privilege; pay for a box and you can drink all you like.
Delight
One cap wonder

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:12 pm

The wendyball fans haven’t done themselves any favours last weekend, although some of it seems normal behaviour now(although I don’t mean acceptable), perhaps a few games behind closed doors might stir clubs into action.
How would those fans behave if they were at MF watching the team throw away a 17 point lead.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Return to All other rugby chat