6 Nations - Private Equity

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

6 Nations - Private Equity

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 am

CVC interested in a 6N stake, rumour is 30% for c£100m per nation

Would end world league plans.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/47547746

Wonder if CVC have plans for its own version of world league.

Rumours of Private Equity interest in Pro14 could be CVC as well.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: 6 Nations - Private Equity

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Looks like this is progressing.

Mentions CVC interest in the Pro14 as well a £120m investment for unconfirmed %

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/six-nati ... ssion=true
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am

We’re trying to decrease our pay tv costs so a further charge to watch is not likely to go ahead in this house, or if it did it would be it would live sport that goes to fund it, therefore no extra money in the sport, in fact probably less from me and I suspect others too, of course CVC for example will have their profit before any funds trickle down to the clubs so they might well be happy still whilst the game suffers?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:02 am

I have a growing concern for the game in this country and how accessible the pro role models are to young players.

I was sent the SRU "Members Application" that clubs get. I know we will be watching the world champions romp the 6N by gubbbing England and France but:

England + France:
Platinum - 115
Gold - 105
Silver - 80
Bronze 62

No U18 prices for England game. For France; 40 for silver and 35 for bronze. So to take my 2 lads and my wife to the France game we'd be looking at £194 before travel etc. That is too rich for me sadly.

Fair play to them, it is their right to set prices etc. But then they can't complain if a younger generation moves away from the professional rugby teams and maybe even the game itself due to lack of access (particularly anything north of Fife/central belt).

With many Scotland games, Edinburgh and Glasgow games now behind one of two pay walls and Edinburgh home games largely on a Friday night parents with young families who want to get their sons/daughters into the pro/national teams are getting blocked out unless you have a good amount of disposable income or live fairly close to the grounds.

Now with the CVC interest in the 6N potentially seeing many 6N and November international ganes disappearing from FTA TV is has to be a concern.

No doubt the new kit will be £50 for young 'uns too.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 pm

I have mixed thoughts on the whole thing. We need investment – CVCs offers this but pluses and minuses come with that.

I think CVC taking stakes in all of 6N, Pro14 and Prem is potentially a good thing. While I acknowledge that they are in it simply to make money, I think they will bring a single focus, greater bargaining power and more professional approach which is sometimes missing with the current setups. May also give them the weight of influence to actually get all the parties working together effectively.

Without looking at end dates of the various current TV deals I could see CVC looking to package the 3 together to extract maximum £ if timing allows and that could well end up with all games on single provider be it BT, Amazon, other etc so longer term may even be better for the TV rugby fan.

Total agree with BigDs comments above I can see this further increasing the cost of live matches which, while perhaps good for putting money back into the game in Scotland (more likely Pro teams than grass roots) it is not good for the live fans. For the wife and I to go to a Gold 6N match costs more than my ER ST this is perhaps an advert for how good value an ER season ticket is. Despite some questions around ERs style of play I would still choose to take it over one 6N match per season. But again I live in Edinburgh so easy for me to get to Friday night games not so for those from further afield.

Probably my biggest concern would be around CVCs exit at some point in the future, once they have made their return they will look to sell on, who takes that on, and where the game goes from that point is possibly of more concern than CVCs simple aim of adding as much value to the offering as possible.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:58 am

It's tricky because Scotland needs both money and increased participations.

With the BT deal up and needing renogtiated soon the CVC cash is welcome but taking six nations off free to air would be a blow for the casual fan and young kids. The costs of live matches are already prohibitive apart from the £1 kids ticket games.

It's interesting, plusses and minuses but with Pro14 off Alba I think reducing visibility is bad news.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:59 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's tricky because Scotland needs both money and increased participations.

With the BT deal up and needing renogtiated soon the CVC cash is welcome but taking six nations off free to air would be a blow for the casual fan and young kids. The costs of live matches are already prohibitive apart from the £1 kids ticket games.

It's interesting, plusses and minuses but with Pro14 off Alba I think reducing visibility is bad news.

Not sure that coming off Alba will have had much effect. You're probably already fairly committed to following the game if you're a non-Gaelic speaker watching it in Gaelic.

I do agree that taking the 6 Nations off free-to-air would be harmful though. Look at what has happened to cricket in England. I'm from Yorkshire so always followed the game when I was younger, despite England being dire at the time. Since the Sky money came in, the England team has been light years ahead of what it used to be in terms of success on the pitch, but interest is decreasing and the county game is absolutely screwed.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:11 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's tricky because Scotland needs both money and increased participations.

Not sure that coming off Alba will have had much effect. You're probably already fairly committed to following the game if you're a non-Gaelic speaker watching it in Gaelic.

I do agree that taking the 6 Nations off free-to-air would be harmful though. Look at what has happened to cricket in England. I'm from Yorkshire so always followed the game when I was younger, despite England being dire at the time. Since the Sky money came in, the England team has been light years ahead of what it used to be in terms of success on the pitch, but interest is decreasing and the county game is absolutely screwed.

Cricket attendances are higher than they've been in a very long time - the T20 Blast has broken its own attendance record 5 times in the last 6 years and international matches (Test, ODI and T20) sell out the year before. The County 4 day game is usually played in front of two men and a dog, but that was pretty much always the case.

NB - not to do down the case for having stuff on free to air TV, I believe it should be the case that some FTA is available, but we need to back claims up where they're made.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:51 pm

But they don’t play cricket in the wind and howling gales, pleasant seat in the sun wearing sun glasses? At a different time of year than rugby, so could do both.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Return to All other rugby chat