Sru salaries

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Sru salaries

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm

I think Dodson has done a lot of good stuff, along with some not so good, but there is no way to justify this.

His salary around the £500k for a £60m business is pretty high, never mind this years massive increase. It also doesn’t include pension so there will be another whack on top of that. It is more than the Rfu, WRu or irfu CEO’s get.

It really is a pr disaster.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/huge-hik ... ssion=true
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Re: Sru salaries

Postby liveinhope on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:21 pm

Agree.This is just a small company and yet he's getting paid as if he was running a co. turning over about 250 mil.
Not sure what targets were reached to justify increases? 5th in 6N.Failed to make QF in RWC. Edinburgh failed to qualify for this season's Champions Cup (or was it the extra prize-money for Edinburgh making last season's Champions Cup QF?)
I don't read the SRU accounts so had no idea ordinary board members were paid (so much).I thought (obviously quite naively!) this was all done "for love of the game" apart from the full time Murrayfield staff.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:32 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I think Dodson has done a lot of good stuff, along with some not so good, but there is no way to justify this.

His salary around the £500k for a £60m business is pretty high, never mind this years massive increase. It also doesn’t include pension so there will be another whack on top of that. It is more than the Rfu, WRu or irfu CEO’s get.

It really is a pr disaster.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/huge-hik ... ssion=true

No pension contributions (it's disclosed in the accounts). The big jump appears to be bonus for the last 5 years so he won't be getting this every year. Given the level of salary though a bonus scheme seems excessive. Or the base pay should be lower with the bonus on top of that lower level if targets are hit.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 am

liveinhope wrote:Agree.This is just a small company and yet he's getting paid as if he was running a co. turning over about 250 mil.
Not sure what targets were reached to justify increases? 5th in 6N.Failed to make QF in RWC. Edinburgh failed to qualify for this season's Champions Cup (or was it the extra prize-money for Edinburgh making last season's Champions Cup QF?)
I don't read the SRU accounts so had no idea ordinary board members were paid (so much).I thought (obviously quite naively!) this was all done "for love of the game" apart from the full time Murrayfield staff.

I doubt his targets will be on pitch. More likely related to financial returns, so tickets sales, corporate and sponsorship, all of which have grown a lot on the past few years. There will also be a lag in pitch performance, sponsorsship etc will be based on how things looked a couple of years ago not now and it did look promising. It looks too like it was a golden handcuffs deal wheee he got th bonus for performance but with a lag to prevent him walking away. It may well drop dramatically next year. I suppose the difference with a private company y is he won’t get share options, so rewards have to generally be cash. Having said that it still seems excessive.

What I would add is that this isn’t Dodsons fault, if your boss offers you a big hike or a bonus you don’t say no. There needs to be a look at why we feel the need to pay what looks like over the odds to get someone in. Particularly when things are not going that well.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Agree.This is just a small company and yet he's getting paid as if he was running a co. turning over about 250 mil.

I doubt his targets will be on pitch. More likely related to financial returns, so tickets sales, corporate and sponsorship, all of which have grown a lot on the past few years. There will also be a lag in pitch performance, sponsorsship etc will be based on how things looked a couple of years ago not now and it did look promising. It looks too like it was a golden handcuffs deal wheee he got th bonus for performance but with a lag to prevent him walking away. It may well drop dramatically next year. I suppose the difference with a private company y is he won’t get share options, so rewards have to generally be cash. Having said that it still seems excessive.

What I would add is that this isn’t Dodsons fault, if your boss offers you a big hike or a bonus you don’t say no. There needs to be a look at why we feel the need to pay what looks like over the odds to get someone in. Particularly when things are not going that well.

I agree with this. We wont know the ins and outs of his contract. It may be linked to a series of multi year targets and this be a large one off.

I do think he gets paid too much though.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:54 pm

BigD163 wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:

I agree with this. We wont know the ins and outs of his contract. It may be linked to a series of multi year targets and this be a large one off.

I do think he gets paid too much though.

The pay for Dodson includes a multi year bonus this year. Over that period, revenue has doubled, attendances have gone up, sold out Autumn Internationals for the first time ever, Glasgow have won the league and been in two other finals, Edinburgh got to the final of the challenge cup and the pro teams have been to 3 HC qfs. Academy massively expanded, Super 6 set up and started. There's a lot he can point to tbh, and most of these kinds of things will be the metrics that he's judged on. Lots of negatives to point to as well, but these are probably not things that are measured in his bonus package.

Normal remuneration seems high compared to other unions though.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 pm

biffer wrote:
Normal remuneration seems high compared to other unions though.

It does, but is it a like for like comparison? Dodson is pretty much responsible for the entire sport in Scotland, if his Irish counterpart is doing the same then you'd have to argue that Dodson isn't doing as well given their success with their pro teams and their international side, plus the conveyor belt of talent that comes out of Leinster at least. The club game in Ireland is suffering a drain on playing numbers, but that is just the same as everywhere else.

Wales have been successful at international level, but their pro teams are way below what you'd expect from that level of achievement.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:31 am

I am not sure that I follow the justification for the large increase in this year for past periods bonuses.

'These figures include the crystallisation and release of bonuses accrued during the past three years as part of the organisation’s ‘Long Term Incentive Plan’. This quotation says that the previous years bonuses have been accrued already and as such would have been charged to the P&L in those years. The only thing that appears to have happened is that the bonus has been paid which in itself would not hit the P&l if accrued already?
Weegie59
One cap wonder

Postby disco on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:18 am

Weegie59 wrote:I am not sure that I follow the justification for the large increase in this year for past periods bonuses.

'These figures include the crystallisation and release of bonuses accrued during the past three years as part of the organisation’s ‘Long Term Incentive Plan’. This quotation says that the previous years bonuses have been accrued already and as such would have been charged to the P&L in those years. The only thing that appears to have happened is that the bonus has been paid which in itself would not hit the P&l if accrued already?

The wording is "accumulated for the first 3 years...of a 5 year plan" so it doesn't refer to amounts accrued. It would really depend detail of the long-term incentive plan. FRS 102 s28.8 states:

An entity shall recognise the expected cost of profit-sharing and bonus payments only when:
(a) the entity has a present legal or constructive obligation to make such payments as a result of past events (this means that the entity has no realistic alternative but to make the payments); and
(b) a reliable estimate of the obligation can be made.

You'd imagine the SRU (and Dodson's) preference would have been to have these costs smoothed over an extended period rather than hitting in a lump sum - but if that's what the recognition criteria require...I'm sure the SRU's expensive accountants are keeping them right!
disco
World Cup Star

Return to All other rugby chat