Page 1 of 5

Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:54 am
by Tichtheid
Bhatti, Dell, Sutherland
Brown, McInally, Turner
Berghan, Fagerson, Nel
Craig, Cummings, Gilchrist, Gray, Toolis
Bradbury, Crosbie, DuPreez, Gordon, Haining, Ritchie, Watson
Horne, Price, Pyrgos
Hastings, Russell
Harris, Hutchinson, Johnson, Jones, Scott
Graham, Maitland, McGuigan, Steyn, Tagive
Hogg, Kinghorn


Nae Bennett, I haven't seen Craig play but I heard good things. CDP back from the scrap yard! Great to see Crosbie in there.

We have 12 forrits in that group, the Embra games are going to be tough during this period.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 pm
by BigD163
Tichtheid wrote:Bhatti, Dell, Sutherland
Brown, McInally, Turner
Berghan, Fagerson, Nel
Craig, Cummings, Gilchrist, Gray, Toolis
Bradbury, Crosbie, DuPreez, Gordon, Haining, Ritchie, Watson
Horne, Price, Pyrgos
Hastings, Russell
Harris, Hutchinson, Johnson, Jones, Scott
Graham, Maitland, McGuigan, Steyn, Tagive
Hogg, Kinghorn


Nae Bennett, I haven't seen Craig play but I heard good things. CDP back from the scrap yard! Great to see Crosbie in there.

We have 12 forrits in that group, the Embra games are going to be tough during this period.


Bennett is against other 13s in form so it is a tough one.

No Fagerson a surprise, no Wilson a pleasant surprise.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:08 pm
by The Feral Goat
Interesting selections

Feels like more ball carriers in the backrow with DuPreez, Haining, Crosbie whether any get game time remains to be seen but front foot ball has been an issue all decent link/ball handlers as well. Bit tough on Fagerson who has not really done anything wrong.

Centres, no Bennett which is maybe a bit suprising, Jones run of form just at the right time for him. Centre selection does give options as to style of play though, as does back 5 of pack….maybe Toonie is learning and evolving after all.

Edit
We've put a bigger emphasis on form as a guide for our selection, with those picked backed to go out and grab their opportunity," Townsend added.

What was previous criteria then?

Edit edit

"Gray and Thomson are currently out of action with head injuries, while Fagerson has a fractured rib. Head coach Gregor Townsend said he is hopeful that all three will come into contention later in the championship. Harlequins utility-back James Lang has been ruled out with a toenailed hamstring."

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:36 pm
by Friday Knight Lights
The Feral Goat wrote:Interesting selections

Feels like more ball carriers in the backrow with DuPreez, Haining, Crosbie whether any get game time remains to be seen but front foot ball has been an issue all decent link/ball handlers as well. Bit tough on Fagerson who has not really done anything wrong.

Centres, no Bennett which is maybe a bit suprising, Jones run of form just at the right time for him. Centre selection does give options as to style of play though, as does back 5 of pack….maybe Toonie is learning and evolving after all.

Edit
We've put a bigger emphasis on form as a guide for our selection, with those picked backed to go out and grab their opportunity," Townsend added.

What was previous criteria then?

Edit edit

"Gray and Thomson are currently out of action with head injuries, while Fagerson has a fractured rib. Head coach Gregor Townsend said he is hopeful that all three will come into contention later in the championship. Harlequins utility-back James Lang has been ruled out with a toenailed hamstring."


The world cup Toonie clearly went with experience and who he could trust. That was shown to be the wrong choice 20 minutes into the tournament.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:19 pm
by disco
Here are the ins and outs for the Scotland squad named for the Six Nations compared to the selection for the RWC in Japan.

Also a look at how the conveyor belt for the future looks with a Depth Chart by age.

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8kI

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 pm
by gowrie
Nothing shocking, pretty much everyone who deserves to be called up was. Bennett must have been close, but his defence has been an issue this season, and Jones/Hutchinson have earned it ahead of him.

The only real disappointment is emphasising how shallow the pool of players is, Tagive? Haining? Nothing against them, but they're not even benching at their clubs and they're in the Scotland squad, really shows the massive challenge any coach would have going up against the other 6N teams.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:42 pm
by disco
Match preview part 1 for Ireland v Scotland.

- The scale of the task facing Scotland;
- How they were kicked to death last time round;
- And the unlucky (for Scotland) ref in charge.

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2020/01/ireland-v-scotland-six-nations-2020-match-preview-pt-i/

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:32 pm
by The Feral Goat
Scotland

Hogg, capt (Exeter Chiefs); Maitland (Saracens), Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Johnson (Glasgow Warriors), Kinghorn (Edinburgh); Hastings (Glasgow Warriors), Price (Glasgow Warriors); Sutherland (Edinburgh), Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Z Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors); Cummings (Glasgow Warriors), J Gray (Glasgow Warriors); J Ritchie (Edinburgh), Watson (Edinburgh), Haining (Edinburgh).

Replacements: McInally (Edinburgh), Dell (London Irish), Berghan (Edinburgh), Toolis (Edinburgh), Du Preez (Worcester Warriors), G Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Hutchinson (Northampton Saints), Harris (Gloucester).

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:57 pm
by Tichtheid
As I was saying over bye, I’d have liked to have seen Crosbie in the 23, other than that, all things considered it’s probably the best we can put out this week, no real controversies

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:41 pm
by liveinhope
Quite like that.Gone for form at prop so no Nel and Dell on bench.Haining could be a real dark horse.
Would have preferred Matt Scott but with Russell out can understand Townend keen to keep the Glasgow centres together.
Obviously a risk with Hutchison covering 10 and 12.Not sure if Harris needed as Hutchison is probably best at 13 but only other option was Tagive or Steyn so he's opted for experience.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:04 pm
by robdinsdale
Bit surprised to see Haining there but Bradbury is injured apparently. It's going to be quite the step up for him.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm
by doedin
Big test for Haining but he will give 100%, will not flinch in contact and carry the ball back into their defence all day long. I think he will do ok. Just a bit worried about our flaky 9 and 10 - they will be targeted relentlessly by the Irish back row and Aki. Lets see if their up to it.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:12 pm
by Sonicboom
Not sure having four of the front five from Glasgow is a great idea. It’s normally the area I expect Edinburgh to do well in when we play them.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:55 pm
by The Nudger
Makes you wonder what Townsend was watching when we mullered them up front at Murrayfield! I'm a huge Sutherland fan but he's had very little game time and I fear the Irish front 5 may have ours for breakfast.

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:28 am
by robdinsdale
doedin wrote:Big test for Haining but he will give 100%, will not flinch in contact and carry the ball back into their defence all day long. I think he will do ok.


Also, at least he's an actual 8, which is an improvement on playing Wilson there.