Travel retail opportunity

Announcments from Edinburgh Rugby

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Travel retail opportunity

Postby Martin Bell on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:13 am

Various folk mentioned it under the previous management, so obviously nothing happened. But I was struck by the sheer range of IRFU-related merchandise on sale in Dublin airport departures this weekend. This may have been due to the international, but I recall seeing a fair bit before on non-international weekends. There was also some Munster stuff and, no doubt, Leinster stuff will have been on sale.

I don't recall having seen any (official) Scotland rugby merchandise on sale at Edinburgh, let alone Embra merchandise. If there indeed isn't any there, it might be worth the SRU talking to BAA travel retail about some sort of arrangement/concession both in Edinburgh and Glasgow airports. Maybe Aberdeen too. Plenty of tourists make a last minute gift purchase in the airport on their return home. I did that for my kids myself in Dublin yesterday and they are now the proud owners of surprisingly good quality Irish rugby hats. They are chuffed that the headgear also comes complete with horns sticking out the top. Scotland/pro team merchandise at various price points for both adults and children could generate quite a good revenue stream. In addition, it might be a good testing ground for new products. More importantly, there are many local people who travel regularly through Edinburgh and Glasgow airports. This could be a good chance to generate some extra revenue while also raising brand awareness of the pro teams among many potential Embra/Glasgow supporters.

Just a thought.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Re: Travel retail opportunity

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:44 am

Good idea. I also used to think a shop in princes st/George st would surely wash its face. I guess an issue might be that the SRU is doing it through greaves and so the business decision might be theirs and there could be some reluctance? Dunno just thinking out loud (always dangerous)
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Loops on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 am

Certainly when I suggested this in the past the reason I was told they couldn't do it was because of the agreement with Grieves. I had my doubts at the time!

On an airport related theme, it would be good if ER could get posters up at all the airports and stations, at least in the Central Belt. When we made all our various trips out to Toulouse over the years I was very impressed at the number of posters and fliers there were all over the place. Hopefully the powers that be will already have this in hand! (along with hotels, B&B's, Department stores, ........
'I detest your opinion but I will defend to the death your right to express it.' Voltaire.

Spectating is a participatory sport.

'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.' Eleanor Roosevelt.
Loops
World Cup Star

Postby CountryCousin on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 pm

The previous incumbents at the SRU basically sold off all the concession rights to just about everything.
Murrayfield Experience, which 'sells' the Glitterballs, Weddings, Corporate Tickets to Games etc. has been hived off to Sodexo.
All kit - ER, GW and Scotland - has been sold to Grieves.

SRU get money up front, but do receive a very small percentage from the sales.

Previously it did not matter whether or not the kit sold or people came into the bars. There was no incentive by the SRU to encourage spectators to buy the kit or to use the facilities.

I think that may change in the near future though!!!! :)
CountryCousin
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:38 pm

With Edinburgh being sold off there must be some renegotiation of contracts at the airport so you would think there could be an opportunity for some visible merchandise
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Watty on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

there is ER stuff for sale at the airport....I know I usually walk through in a daze (weekly commute does that to you) but the shop between BA lounge and the pub has ER branded rugby balls :D
Watty
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Watty wrote:there is ER stuff for sale at the airport....I know I usually walk through in a daze (weekly commute does that to you) but the shop between BA lounge and the pub has ER branded rugby balls :D

And I spend a lot of time IN the lounge! I haven't tracked it down myself yet but will keep looking.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Watty on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:02 pm

its gone - replaced by silly panda stuff :roll:
Watty
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:19 am

Just need to teach the pandas to play rugby then. :)
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Oldsalt wrote:Just need to teach the pandas to play rugby then. :)

They'd fit right in to the Scotland team. They very rarely score either :D
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:51 pm

:lol:
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:35 pm

I see that some (genuine) Scotland merchandise has appeared in one of the souvenir shops between the electronics shop and the champagne bar. It's very low profile and there isn't much of it, but at least it's there.
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Return to News from HQ