Novelty headgear merchandising opportunity

Announcments from Edinburgh Rugby

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Novelty headgear merchandising opportunity

Postby Martin Bell on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:41 am

This is more of a suggestion to Edinburgh Rugby for next season.

Kids' hats like this (see attached) were on sale at the Aviva prior to the international this year. I suppose the horns are some sort of reference to the continued importance of the dairy sector to the Irish economy. The hats are 100% acrylic and I am told by wearers that they are surprisingly warm. The quality of the hat is good and the horns look like they will last for years. So they can be worn many times rather than for one afternoon. A prudent investment indeed.

One could imagine a Scottish equivalent. More importantly, an Edinburgh version with antlers in tribute to world sport's greatest mascot might have a ready market for kids and adults who should know better.

I would buy four.

Just a thought.
Attachments
DSC01478 (480x640).jpg
DSC01478 (480x640).jpg (200.9 KiB) Viewed 9015 times
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Re: Novelty headgear merchandising opportunity

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am

Maybe make them more like heilan' coo horns for a jockanese angle?

While on the topic, I'd suggest simple berets, all black and/ or all red, with the ER crest on. These seem to be an increasing success at many clubs. Merchandise isn't that great currently so plenty room to get creative.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:20 am

Le Jock Sportif wrote:Maybe make them more like heilan' coo horns for a jockanese angle?

While on the topic, I'd suggest simple berets, all black and/ or all red, with the ER crest on. These seem to be an increasing success at many clubs. Merchandise isn't that great currently so plenty room to get creative.

I have taken the Edinburgh Rugby badge off my Macron Beanie and attached it to a traditional black red and white glengarry, for Dublin. Was amazed that there was not even an enamelled crest badge on the current range which was the catalyst for the improvisation!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dashokeykokey1 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Wottie wrote:
Le Jock Sportif wrote:Maybe make them more like heilan' coo horns for a jockanese angle?

I have taken the Edinburgh Rugby badge off my Macron Beanie and attached it to a traditional black red and white glengarry, for Dublin. Was amazed that there was not even an enamelled crest badge on the current range which was the catalyst for the improvisation!

I like the idea for improvisation, my club in Belfast have stopped the whole club blazer lark as no-one had the cash to do it, and have instead stated handing out badges that you can sew onto an old jacket (or whatever really) to make it a "club" jacket.

this could be another, if small, revenue stream for the club, if there was buy in from the fans obviously! could be done very cheaply, flog them for a fiver at games and in the club shop...
He’s like a demented ferret up a wee drainpipe...
dashokeykokey1
International

Return to News from HQ