Games shown in Pubs

All non-rugby chat. Includes posts from the old social and fun&games forums.

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Games shown in Pubs

Postby JonnyEdinburgh on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:12 pm

Apologies if this has been done before. Wanted a new thread going where people can post with details of any pubs that are showing our games. On Saturday I was running behind schedule getting home so ended up diving into about 6/7 pubs in the center of Edinburgh asking if they were showing our game. Every one was showing the Arsenal v Man City match and when asked if they could change one screen they always couldn't/wouldn't. (Shows how much of a minority sport Rugby is these days).
Putting aside the point that it seems I was lucky to miss the game anyway, it would be good to have a thread where folks can list any venues in/around Edinburgh where our games are shown each week.

I found a website called"match pint" which aims to give details of pubs showing live events but obviously not many pubs are signed up to this. The only one that says it shows Edinburgh games is Finnegans bar. Can anyone confirm that they do?

Anyway, first off are there any pubs that always show our games? (obviously assuming they are actually televised). Cheers.
JonnyEdinburgh
International

Re: Games shown in Pubs

Postby biffer on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:39 pm

I don't know about always, but Berts Bar has always been pretty flexible about putting one TV on when our games are on ALBA. Usually have to ask though. Globe Bar on Niddrie street is usually quite accomodating as well.

Edinburgh could really do with a Rugby pub. Oval ball games shown in preference to everything else, football verboten apart from the world cup and scotland internationals.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby frillage on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:46 pm

Finnegams is usually pretty good. The wee back room can have rugby with sound on with football in main bar. And if nothing else on always happy to have the t thy on in main room.
Pear tree ok but suffers football first a bit more.
frillage
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:54 pm

frillage wrote:Finnegams is usually pretty good. The wee back room can have rugby with sound on with football in main bar. And if nothing else on always happy to have the t thy on in main room.

I've found with Finnegans it depends on who's behind the bar. Some of them will change the channel for you but others can't be arsed or don't understand how it works.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby frillage on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:53 pm

biffer wrote:
frillage wrote:Finnegams is usually pretty good. The wee back room can have rugby with sound on with football in main bar. And if nothing else on always happy to have the t thy on in main room.

I've found with Finnegans it depends on who's behind the bar. Some of them will change the channel for you but others can't be arsed or don't understand how it works.

Must be the way you ask them!, :D

I check what football is on before and if conflict call ahead to double check if bog games on , then when ask at bar if struggle can say was told be shown.
frillage
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:53 pm

frillage wrote:
biffer wrote:

Must be the way you ask them!, :D

I check what football is on before and if conflict call ahead to double check if bog games on , then when ask at bar if struggle can say was told be shown.

We've tried that before and it didn't work! Might just have been one eject.

If we are playing an Irisher team it's always on to be fair.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby JonnyEdinburgh on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks a lot guys. At least I know a few places where to head to give myself half a chance next time anyway!
Phoning ahead is always the best bet....but you are right, it would be nice to have a rugby pub. One which is the "place to be" for rugby supporters to gather safe in the knowledge that rugby gets 1st priority. Obviously whether there is a market for that is questionable. But surely there is scope for just ONE pub to make this niche their own. If I ever win the Euromillions I promise you all that is what I'll do!
JonnyEdinburgh
International

Return to The Pub