Season ticket thermometer

Information for visiting fans and Edinburgh fans going away

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Postby LLS on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:54 am

I would agree with you that the most important thing is to be able to widen the support base beyond active club members. Many of the people I go to the games with, either last played rugby in school or not at all.

One element that is our favour in Dublin is that there is no competition from any other major sport. GAA is predominately a summer game and our soccer teams are woefull (I'll leave you to comment on standard of Hearts and Hibs).
From my point of view the best selling point to non rugby folks has been that it is an opportunity to see genuinely world class players performing week in week out. The likes of Mike Blair, O'Driscoll, O'Connell, Ryan Jones, Shane Williams are genuine world class players and understanding that is what seems to interest casual fans.

Hopefully now that you are past the whole Curruthers / SRU issue (which I don't claim to understand) you will build strongly year on year
LLS

Postby Oldsalt on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:55 am

Nice bit of historical info from our friend from Dublin. On the subject of marketing to a wider audience, Glasgow are doing a two for one promo for students for tonights match against the Scarlets. Marketing to a wider audience is definitely what we need. Pity we didn't have a home game before the Heineken Cup.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:32 am

Edinburgh are very actively marketing to the mini and youth sections of the local clubs, and are creating some very attractive offers. This is a very sensible strategy, as they are promoting to youngsters with an interest in the game who will pester their parents to take them along. It is very noticeable how many youngsters and families there are at Edinburgh's matches, so this should be a very effective part of the club's overall marketing strategy.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Watty on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:23 pm

I bought another season ticket on Thursday ...thought would be a real issue coz im in an allocated seat...but Im so chuffed coz the guys at the tisket offic was just fantastic. Thank you!!!
Watty
World Cup Star

Postby Rugby Girl on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:55 am

EDINBURGH SEASON TICKET SALES REACH 1500 MARK

Edinburgh chief executive Nic Cartwright admits he is encouraged by the fact the club?s season ticket sales have now hit the 1500 mark ? reaching the target set in the summer.

Long term supporter Bert Barclay, a former touch judge and treasurer at Stewart?s-Melville FP, became the 1500th fan to show their commitment by signing up for a 2008/2009 season ticket.

As a result, Edinburgh now has a 50% increase on their amount of season ticket holders compared to the previous campaign; a statistic Cartwright is delighted about.

Cartwright said: ?We are very happy to announce the fact that we have 1500 season ticket holders.

?It is both reassuring and encouraging to see so many rugby enthusiasts buying into the vision of what we are all trying to achieve here at Edinburgh Rugby Club.

?We are a club that prides itself on being both inclusive and accessible and we have been genuinely pleased with the response shown by supporters.

?Hopefully the level of growth in our fanbase will continue over the course of the season and we are excited about the response towards our ?Kids Go 4 Free? initiative launched last week.?

Mr Barclay explained that he had decided to buy a season ticket with Edinburgh after being impressed with the development shown by the club, both on and off the pitch, last season.

He said: ?I?ve supported Edinburgh for a long time. I renewed the season ticket because I think it is worthwhile to come along and watch on a Friday night.

?1500 is a pretty good number, it is a pity there is not another zero behind it, but it seems Edinburgh are making progress with bigger crowds again.?

After reaching the 1500 target, Edinburgh?s ?Season Ticket Thermometer? ? used to chart the amount of sales ? has now been withdrawn from the homepage on the club?s official website (www.edinburghrugby.org) but will return next summer as the club aims to beat the 2008/2009 season total.
Rugby Girl
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:58 am

Now all the team needs to do is put a few wins on the board and more people will come along! :D
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Legless on Fri May 15, 2009 8:40 pm

I hope ER's season ticket thermometor gets dragged out again for 09/10 season, I liked being able to keep an eye on ST sales and comparing them to previous seasons. Under the current financial climate I'll be happy to equal last seasons numbers although obviously I would be delighted with an increase.
Legless
World Cup Star

Postby Alison on Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 am

Well, if Edinburgh (and surrounding) folk can't bring themselves to support a team packed with internationals and who hav just come 2nd in the Magners League, there is no hope!

They need some dynamite put up - you know where!
Alison
World Cup Star

Re: Season ticket thermometer

Postby Alison on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 am

I know what you mean! I no longer go to 6N matches (£60 a ticket!), but watch them at home, in the clubhouse or in a hotel, where you at least get change from a £20 note!! :wink:
Alison
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Travel