Visit Scotland

Information for visiting fans and Edinburgh fans going away

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Visit Scotland

Postby le canados on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Hello to you all,
I am a supporter of the Biarritz team and let me post on your forum to a request for information. With my family (2 children of 8 and 11 years old), we intend to visit Scotland next August, about two weeks, roughly between the 11 to 25 August. Could you tell me which areas to visit but also the unusual places that are not listed in the travel magazines. We'll rent a car and we would like to stay in a cottage and visit the area for a week and then sleep in B & B for the other week. Is that we think of doing but I am waiting to read your ideas
We already visited Edinburgh (lovely), and Invereray Oban for just four days.
I want to thank you greatly for your help. Feel free to give me names of B & B or cottages.
Good luck against Toulouse and BO hopefully win against Wasps
Sincerely,
Patrick (Boucau France)
le canados
Embra Debut

Re: Visit Scotland

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Are your kids boys or girls? What things do you like? Active, lazy? Historic?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby concernedposter on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Patrick - what airport are you flying into?
concernedposter

Postby le canados on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am

Hi,
We would like to visit Scotland by walk and to see historic and landscape, with my boy (11) and girl (8). I think we can come by Ryanair (Bordeaux - Edinburgh) or Air France (Biarritz - Paris - Edinburgh). I think also that is possible with British Airways (Bordeaux - London - Edinburgh). For our flights, I didn't choose yet.
Thank you
Sincererly
Patrick
le canados
Embra Debut

Postby Oldsalt on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi Patrick
If you are interested in historical things then take a look at the National Trust for Scotland. www.nts.org.uk
They have family events at their properties over the summer. You would recover the cost of a yearly family ticket in about three visits.
East Neuk of Fife is nice in August usually. Small fishing villages, watersports, golf, riding etc. We like Elie and can recommend No1 Elie B&B. www.bedandbreakfastelie.co.uk. Elie might be a village but it also has a Michelin starred restaurant "Sangsters" about 100m from the B&B.
Other area to visit might be Boat of Garten. www.boatofgarten.com
Enjoy your visit but recommend you visit Boots the chemist and buy "midge cream/spray" as they can be active in august.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby le canados on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi everybody,

Congratulations for your victory agains Toulouse, a very proud team you have.

I still have the idea to come in the middle of August in your Country. Which place might be pleasant to visit ?? We'll stay 2 weeks and will land at Edinburgh. We'll rent a car for our holidays. We would like to stay in a cottage for a week I think and then to stay in beds and breakfast. But I don't know where to go. We have 2 children of 8 and 11 years old and they like very much nature, lakes, animals. Also my son like castles.

Thank you for your ideas

Patrick
le canados
Embra Debut

Postby chappo on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:45 am

Hi Patrick,

You could do worse than visiting the Aviemore/Cairngorms area (2.5 hours drive north from Edinburgh).

Aviemore itself isn't too pretty but there are Alpine-style cottages to book at Coylumbridge which could be a good base - there's all sorts up there and hopefully you'll get decent weather but beware of the midges!

Have a search online for Rothiemurcus Estate (clay pigeon shooting, quad-biking, fish farm amongst other stuff)...

...there's a Reindeer Sanctuary, I'm sure the kids would love the Landmark Forest Adventure Park slighty further North at Carrbridge (http://www.landmarkpark.co.uk), the Strathspey Steam Railway train from Aviemore to Boat-of-Garten's worth a trip, Highland Wildlife Park just south of Aviemore, canoeing/wind-surfing etc....

check out http://www.visitaviemore.co.uk

Anyway...just a suggestion... ;)

Cheers,

Chappo
"La claque est immense!"
chappo
World Cup Star

Postby Loops on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:49 pm

All of the above, plus Stirling, where there is the Castle and the Wallace Monument (as in Braveheart without the awful Mel Gibson accent!). Inside the monument there is a glass floor on the 3rd floor that looks straight down into the entrance hall - my kids loved that!

There's also a place called Crieff, about an hour north of Edinburgh, which has a hotel called Crieff Hydro that also has chalets and lodges, and they have loads of outdoor activities for the children (and adults) http://www.crieffhydro.com . Within easy reach of that are the Trossachs - lochs and mountains and very beautiful.

There are loads of castles all over Scotland, and it's worth checking the Visit Scotland website.
'I detest your opinion but I will defend to the death your right to express it.' Voltaire.

Spectating is a participatory sport.

'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.' Eleanor Roosevelt.
Loops
World Cup Star

Return to Travel