Rowan Suite Complaints

on the message board, Supporters Club, or Edinburgh Rugby

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Rowan Suite Complaints

Postby Cammo Gunner on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:01 am

Would all supporters with complaints re. the Rowan Suite please PM me.

We need to take numbers of complaints to ER or there is no chance of any change.

Thanks

CG - Admin
Last edited by Cammo Gunner on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Re: Rowan Suite Complaints

Postby CountryCousin on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 pm

On Monday there was a meeting of the SRU where the decision to withdraw the Presidents Suite facility to ERC supporters was confirmed.

Premium Season Ticket Holders are getting various choices, including part refund of fees to a full refund of their fees.

All Season ticket holders should have that same option.

If enough supporters lodge a complaint then the decision could be overturned for next season.
CountryCousin
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 am

From today's Scotsman:

Edinburgh fans angry after SRU moves goalposts over 'clubhouse'

Published Date: 07 October 2010
By DAVID FERGUSON
EDINBURGH are at the centre of a storm of supporter disquiet on the eve of the new Heineken Cup campaign that has the potential to cost the club heavily in revenue and lost fans.

The team's supporters had been told that once refurbishment of the main stand's President's Suite was complete they would be allowed back in to enjoy what had become their popular matchday 'clubhouse'.

However, Gordon McKie, the SRU chief executive, has vetoed that plan and left the club's new chief executive Craig Docherty with no option but to offer supporters compensation and refunds on their season ticket packages as he tries to find another 'clubhouse' space in or around Murrayfield Stadium.

One supporter told The Scotsman: "There is a great deal of anger amongst many supporters not just about the moving around, but at the total disregard that the SRU have for supporters and the inability of Edinburgh Rugby Club to serve their supporters interests."

There were two packages that came with an Edinburgh season ticket for 2010-11, both featuring access along with paying supporters to the President's Suite' but the premium rate, costing £400 for adults (around £29 per game), added hospitality, with food and pre/post-match entertainment, in a private area.

Edinburgh had moved the 'clubhouse', temporarily, to the Rowan Suite in the North Stand with the premium ticket holders housed in small hospitality boxes, and despite expecting the SRU to let them back into the President's Suite now that work is complete, Edinburgh supporters have instead been told to stay where they are.

This is all because the SRU has undertaken an expensive refurbishment of the President's Suite that includes new carpets, wallcoverings and glass cases to showcase more Scottish rugby artefacts. As part of an ongoing strategic review, McKie has proposed restoring the exclusive tag to the suite, the preserve of players, officials and top-paying guests, and ensure that when it is deployed for corporate use it attracts a premium fee in order to increase revenue.

Docherty, meanwhile, is left to deal with Edinburgh's unhappy supporters and was forced yesterday to start sending out letters offering compensation and refunds. Some fans are said to have contacted Trading Standards officials to complain and others have stated that they will never watch Edinburgh again.

One furious supporter told The Scotsman: "Even though many season ticket holders requested information or simply asked for their money back, for two weeks the SRU have ignored them, not even replying to their letters/emails.

"The SRU are now refunding between £220 and £400 to Premium season ticket holders. It is believed that thousands of pounds are to be refunded.
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby jrp on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:10 am

What a shambles.

What's McKie keeping it for?
jrp

Postby kev on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:34 am

This is very bad news for all concerned. The match day atmosphere is marginal as it is - if we lose a big slice of our support from this debacle then it becomes a vicious circle of worse atmosphere, with even less people attending etc etc

I wrote to ER expressing my anger at this situation, and stated that I expect to be offered a refund. Now that this is looking likely I will have to think carefully at what I'm going to do - probably stick it out this season but if it looks like a sinking ship by next year I'm not likely to renew.

It shows how McKie regards the pro-team game, and for the first time I am seriously questioning the long term viability of pro-rugby in Scotland. At which point Murrayfield will become very 'exclusive' - tumbleweed blowing through the President's Suite.....

I am puzzled by the idea that McKie want's to keep it as an 'exclusive' venue - there is nothing contradictory in keeping it exclusive at Scotland games but open at Edinburgh games.
kev
World Cup Star

Postby Loops on Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:26 pm

Have any of the other supporters thought about taking this to Trading Standards? The season ticket was sold on the understanding that we'd be returning to the Presidents Suite, and so at present they are in breach of their contract. The more ST holders who report this, the more likely it is that something can be done.
'I detest your opinion but I will defend to the death your right to express it.' Voltaire.

Spectating is a participatory sport.

'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.' Eleanor Roosevelt.
Loops
World Cup Star

Postby CountryCousin on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Loops says,
"Have any of the other supporters thought about taking this to Trading Standards? The season ticket was sold on the understanding that we'd be returning to the Presidents Suite, and so at present they are in breach of their contract. The more ST holders who report this, the more likely it is that something can be done."

1.Up to today they were in breach of Consumer Protection Regs. The offending advert - application for Season Ticket has been removed from their web site. Trading Standards have been carrying out an investigation into that breach. By taking the advert off the web site that is now the end of the matter.

2.SRU were in Breach of Contract with PSTH up to the time they offered refunds etc. - technically they have not implemented their obligation by re-instating the Presidents Suite but by making the offer they are able to wiggle out of their contract. (The courts would accept what they have done.)

3. The SRU are, as far as I can tell, still in breach of contract with other Season Ticket Holders as no alternative have been offered to them.

I must admit that I am a little surprised of the lack of action by STH into this matter. The man who decided to take the facility away from ordinary supporters and keep it for the 'elite' should be pilloried . If it was not for spectators money, taxpayers money (Scottish Government have paid hundreds of thousands to SRU) and Millions of pounds of Lottery money via SportsScotland (A SG Quango) these renovations would not have taken place.

Over the past few years over £3 million from the SG and SportsScotland have been ploughed into the SRU, to improve the sport, not only for the participants but for the spectators as well.

The Presidents Suite does not belong to the 'rugby elite' who turn up for the odd International game, but for us all.

Lodge your complaint with SRU and the supporters club - only then can the SRU know the depth of feeling.

Rant over - come the revolution blah blah blah!!! :evil:
CountryCousin
World Cup Star

Postby Bluehouse on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:27 pm

I've never been one of the moanier anti-SRU crew and have always been willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. The need to reduce the debt and get finances sorted seemed obvious to me and dictated a lot of the choices that have been made. However this decision just really annoys me. Nor can I see any commercial sense, short-term or otherwise, in it. The ability to go to a comfortable. convenient bar after the game where children and adults could mix and we were joined by players and visiting fans was one of the few advantages of Murrayfield. It was also one of the only elements that made Edinburgh feel a bit like a club rather than a Scotland training team. I could put up with the bad beer and bizarrely poor service and still feel relatively looked after.

Both the manner of the loss of the P. Suite and the poor quality alternatives show a real lack of quality in SRU management. I will not go to the Rowan Suite and while the Wandies clubhouse is OK-ish (one of my kids played forthem) I don't think I'd schlep over there very often. The only alternative with any appeal would be a beer tent but I don't see the SRU going for that. So this leaves me, like others, questioning support for the pro team. I'm thoroughly disillusioned and wondering if I'll bother next year.Rugby fans don't need luxury (Newcastle's bar feels like a fall-out shelter) but they do want to feel wanted. What's more, as a businessman and investor, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with the SRU - the way an organisation treats its clients tells you everything you need to know...
Bluehouse
World Cup Star

Postby sloanscot on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Here we go again. I have always felt that in spite of the SRU spending quite a bit of money on fancy marketing materials etc they do not really seem committed to building Edinburgh (& perhaps Glasgow) into real "clubs". One can't help feeling that the club is just a vehicle for having potential Scottish international players under their control. Where is the coordination/cooperation with the grass roots? A cash gate on match days at a sensible price seems another obvious step. Sell 'anygame' vouchers through clubs and at other appropriate outlets etc etc.

It is always said the SRU want to save money but they always seem to have money for projects they want, and areas where money could perhaps be saved are often ignored.

Whenever we begin to feel that support for Edinburgh Rugby is beginning to build something like this happens. Edinburgh supporters do not appear to me to have inflicted any damage to the Presidents Suite - even International Days will probably cause more wear and tear with food and wine spills etc. As everyone acknowledges Murrayfield is a very poor playing atmosphere for Edinburgh players and spectators - the use of the Presidents Suite, giving easy access to seating, was the one redeeming feature. M-W clubhouse is not the answer - for me it is no better than the Rowan Suite arrangement.

I hate to punish the players but I think we should all vote with our feet. In the short term the SRU (via their caterers) will lose my bar spend. In the medium term renewal of my season ticket for next season, after many years membership, is now very questionable. The next match (against Northampton) clashes with club rugby and I now know where I shall go. I suggest a deal is done with bar(s) (perhaps someone like Festival Inns) to give a cheap drink from, say, 1pm to 2pm on the day in exchange for the relevant season ticket voucher and supporters can watch on Sky. Sorry for the players but what else can we do to get the SRU hierarchy to adopt a proper attitude to all Club rugby. Scotland will not improve long term at International level until the base of players and supporters is larger than that of third tier rugby nations.
sloanscot
Embra Debut

Postby jrp on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:36 pm

What I dont understand is the theories banded about that the SRU are not interested in growing their pro sides.

Why?

I think it's simply down to McKie being hopeless in anything other than saving ailing businesses. The end of last season was the time to invest and they did the opposite.
jrp

Postby Legless on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:23 pm

jrp wrote:What I dont understand is the theories banded about that the SRU are not interested in growing their pro sides.

Why?

I think it's simply down to McKie being hopeless in anything other than saving ailing businesses. The end of last season was the time to invest and they did the opposite.

You've pretty much answered your own question; McKie can't resist any opportunity to cut back and save money and when over the years we’ve been at a crucial stage in our development as a club and a team he’s given no thought to expansion or investment. You can't grow something unless you are willing to nurture and feed it.
Legless
World Cup Star

Return to Feedback