Edinburgh song (again)

Jokes, Prediction corner & Sounds

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Postby frillage on Wed May 20, 2009 9:43 pm

hingwy wrote:
Legless wrote:Not too fussed about a song, 2 or 3 good chants would do me. If supporters want to sing a song it needs to be a simple 4 line verse that can be repeated rather than 6 verses long.

Oh well, 2 days on after I started this thread, at least there's been a bit less apathy than I'd originally expected. I've picked out Legless's message to quote here because it reflects exactly what I feel too. Songs will never work with such an introverted and alcohol free audience as we usually have. So it has to be a simple chant, short and simple that can dip in and out without effort. Hence the "One Edinburgh" suggestion. It might be footie'ish and it might be naff, but on those (thankfully less) rare euphoric moments we have with tries and victories, I tend not to get too worried about naffness or chavness. I find it hard to believe that anyone would shush someone chanting or even give strange looks, is this not just your imagination because of the lack of general joining in? If anyone is genuinely being disapproving of an innocent chant, they're the ones that need to take a good hard look at themselves....and get them to a nunnery not a rugby ground, the pri*cks.

Bottom line, the club has to do something to wipe out that pathetic deathly hush, it's simply not an option to keep it like it is if we're hoping to grow the crowds.

Think someone suggested it before but everyone knows the proclaimers. Decent mix between a chant and a song and leaves room to expand it with the verses if it catches.

But we would walk 500 miles
And we would walk 500 more
Just to be the fans who walk a thousand miles
To see the Gunners(or Edinburgh) win

da da da (da da da)
da da da (da da da)

Da Da Da Dun Diddle Un Diddle Un Diddle Uh Da

da da da (da da da)
da da da (da da da)

Da Da Da Dun Diddle Un Diddle Un Diddle Uh Da
frillage
World Cup Star

Postby GuitarHero on Wed May 20, 2009 11:25 pm

"Are you watching Warriors? Are you watching Wa-rri-ors?!"

From our lofty vantage point near the top of the ML :D
GuitarHero
World Cup Star

Postby frillage on Wed May 20, 2009 11:39 pm

GuitarHero wrote:"Are you watching Warriors? Are you watching Wa-rri-ors?!"

From our lofty vantage point near the top of the ML :D

I'd rather be a Gunner than a Weeg
rather be a Gunner
rather be a Gunner

Ooh ah, Nick de Luca,
Ooh ah, Nick de Luca,
Ooh ah, Nick de Luca,
Ooh ah, Nick de Luca,

You are our Gunners our only Gunners
You make me happy when skies are grey
You'll never know dear how much I love you
So please don't take my Gunners away

One man went to laugh, went to laugh at Glasgow
One man and his dog (Spot), went to laugh at Glasgow

Can we play you
Can we play you
Can we play you every week?
Last edited by frillage on Thu May 21, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
frillage
World Cup Star

Postby frillage on Thu May 21, 2009 12:08 am

Dont often suggest football is good but they can be amusing

sing when you're whaling
You only sing when you're whaling
(Sung by the Tartan Army when Scotland played Norway
frillage
World Cup Star

Postby GuitarHero on Thu May 21, 2009 2:25 am

Robertson, Robertson, Running down the wing!
Robertson, Robertson, Running down the wing!
Feared by the weeg, wears black and red!
Robertson, Robertson, Robertson!

a slight play on one of frillage's suggestions:

You are our mossy, our only mossy
You make us happy when skies are grey
cos when it's pouring, you just keep scoring
please don't take our mossy away!
GuitarHero
World Cup Star

Postby Derrick Lee's #1 Fan on Thu May 21, 2009 9:01 am

hingwy wrote:does half the problem of people not chanting enough or giving strange looks not come from the fact that we have totally lost our identity, I mean in terms of whether it's Edinburgh or Gunners? Can something not be done to firmly establish it one way or the other and not leave it hanging in the balance. I would tend to shout "Gunners" simply because it rolls off the tongue so much easier and fits into a Guuuuunners type chant, but half the reason most people hold back from joining in is because they think we don't have the right to call ourselves Gunners any more.

I've never understood that. The nickname "Gunners" was only taken off the club badge because nicknames are by definition unofficial and don't belong on club badges (oh, and a certain English football club have it registered as a trademark apparently - but one of the red-tops contacted said football club about the issue at the time and they made it clear they didn't particularly care). Never at any time was it said we had to stop calling ourselves "Gunners". I don't know why people have jumped to that conclusion.
Derrick Lee's #1 Fan
World Cup Star

Postby Jon on Thu May 21, 2009 11:06 am

I still shout for the Gunners - it scans better
Jon
World Cup Star

Postby hingwy on Sat May 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Jon wrote:I still shout for the Gunners - it scans better

Glad we've got the Gunners things settled then and it's not just me who wants to keep shouting Gunners. But we still need a way of convincing another couple of thousand supporters to stop getting their tongues tied with E-din-bu-ra and swell the Gunners chants a bit.
Nothing wrong with any of the songs suggested here...better than last time round on the forum. So where do we go from here to establish one or any of them as familiar songs or chants? Unfortunately I'm not in a big group and am too shy to start any off myself but will be more than happy to join in with the family once it gets going. I feel it needs some initiative from the players' squad side to get something going with a bit of credibility that can catch on, or at least an effort from Nick's team to get something introduced in a way that doesn't come across as too naff. Nick's letters are the only way to reach a wider audience as this forum unfortunately only has a handful of die hards. Alternatively if anyone on this forum comes along regularly with a group big enough to create some volume and can coordinate introducing a chant, it will soon catch on and spread.
hingwy
Established pro

Postby Loops on Sat May 23, 2009 1:13 pm

hingwy wrote:....Nick's letters are the only way to reach a wider audience as this forum unfortunately only has a handful of die hards. Alternatively if anyone on this forum comes along regularly with a group big enough to create some volume and can coordinate introducing a chant, it will soon catch on and spread.

I hate sounding like one of the half-empty ones, but this was tried a couple of years ago, where the club set aside a "Noisy Section", the idea being exactly what you've said - to get a big group starting the chant/song, and have it spread from there.

And yet here we are, nearly 3 seasons later, still trying to do the same thing. :( :cry:

The group I sit with always sing along with the recordings after scores - We Will Ruck You being one of my favourites, we join in other peoples' chants, we bring air-horns, whistles, football rattles and very loud voices, and yet the people sitting around us STILL aren't joining in.

Why?
'I detest your opinion but I will defend to the death your right to express it.' Voltaire.

Spectating is a participatory sport.

'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.' Eleanor Roosevelt.
Loops
World Cup Star

Postby Legless on Sat May 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Loops wrote:
hingwy wrote:....Nick's letters are the only way to reach a wider audience as this forum unfortunately only has a handful of die hards. Alternatively if anyone on this forum comes along regularly with a group big enough to create some volume and can coordinate introducing a chant, it will soon catch on and spread.

I hate sounding like one of the half-empty ones, but this was tried a couple of years ago, where the club set aside a "Noisy Section", the idea being exactly what you've said - to get a big group starting the chant/song, and have it spread from there.

And yet here we are, nearly 3 seasons later, still trying to do the same thing. :( :cry:

The group I sit with always sing along with the recordings after scores - We Will Ruck You being one of my favourites, we join in other peoples' chants, we bring air-horns, whistles, football rattles and very loud voices, and yet the people sitting around us STILL aren't joining in.

Why?

Because too many of our supporters have a silver spoon well and truly wedged up their @rse and think singing and chanting is beneath them.
Legless
World Cup Star

Postby Julz on Tue May 26, 2009 8:31 am

frillage wrote:I'd rather be a Gunner than a Weeg
rather be a Gunner
rather be a Gunner

That has just brought a big cheerie grin to my face and I am now patiently awaiting my Weegie colleague to arrive at work........ :P
Just stick some tape on it and I'll be fine!!
Julz
World Cup Star

Postby Chavington Nedwell on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:15 pm

Scots, wha h? wi' black and red
Scots, wham Blair has aften led
Welcome t? yer glory bed
t? celebrate our Victorie

Now's the day, and now?s the hour
The Glasgow Warriors never shower
See the Embra boys with all their power
go on to win the Magners.

mmmmm. needs a little work :wink:
Why aren't Weegies on the tree of life?
Chavington Nedwell
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Perhaps the uninhibited chanters could get a season ticket in a good central location and be known as the noisy section as was three or four seasons ago when Bros were in charge. 8)
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh song (again)

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:09 am

The best chants are simple. That way anyone can join in, a first timer doesn't have too many words to learn etc.

Simplest thing I've thought of is using the chant that liverpool FC use

http://www.fanchants.com/football-songs ... liverpool/

but with Ed-in-bruh instead.

Much easier for occasional supporters (i.e. Heineken Cup and 1872 games) when they've got a beer in them.

Oldsalt's idea about all the noisy people congregating in one section is the way to go as well. Just need to pick one on here, then as long as there's 20-30 people to start with, it'll grow over the season.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh song (again)

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:38 am

For those of us of a certain age who have heard of The Who and even lucky enough to have seen them the have an ideal chant for saturday's match.

To the tune of Substitute

I was born with the taste of blood in my mouth.
I was born with the taste of blood in my mouth.

Substitute , it's HAR - LEE -QUINS
Substitute , You're in the bin.

Any alternative or additional words please add. :wink:
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Fun & Games