Drinks on Match days?

Jokes, Prediction corner & Sounds

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Drinks on Match days?

Postby davezero7 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Edinburgh and the sport of Rugby Union. I have watch Edinburgh on tv for the past 2 seasons and decided that I am going to convert over from Scottish Football and attend Murrayfield on a regular basis after several years following the round shaped ball.

I'm 30, from Edinburgh. I'm looking for some new rugby friends to go for a few drinks before and after matches?

Where does everyone meet for games and would I be welcome to join some of you for company during match days?
davezero7
Established pro
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby Yonthing on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:26 am

Welcome to rugby :)

I had the pleasure of taking a Scouse friend to an international game last year - it was easy to spot his football background as he didn't know you could drink at the game as well :o

If you don't meet anyone before the first game, go to the standing area - everyone there is really friendly and you get to move around and meet lots of people instead of being stuck next to just a few people in the seats (who are nice people too before complaints flood in).

There's usually a bar open in Murrayfield for an hour or so before and after the match and a lot of the fans go there too for some chat and banter and sometimes to meet a player or two.
Yonthing
International
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:54 am

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby davezero7 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks for the info Yonthing

I am fully aware of alcohol being drunk at games - was at both of the (Rugby League) Magic Weekends, I loved the freedom of being allowed to take your drink back to your seats.

being allowed to drink whilst watching sport is one of the main factors in my defection from football, price of tickets and quality of sport on offer being the other reasons for my swap of sports.
davezero7
Established pro
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby davezero7 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:37 am

Can anyone tell me what brands of alcohol are available at both the murrayfield hotel and the stadium? I drink ales mostly so hoping for a Deuchars IPA or something similar.
davezero7
Established pro
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby biffer on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:28 am

davezero7 wrote:Can anyone tell me what brands of alcohol are available at both the murrayfield hotel and the stadium? I drink ales mostly so hoping for a Deuchars IPA or something similar.


Can't remember what ale are there but the best thing might to be to go along on August 1st. Quick talk from Bradley and new players introduced.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3838
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby chappo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:42 am

davezero7 wrote:Can anyone tell me what brands of alcohol are available at both the murrayfield hotel and the stadium? I drink ales mostly so hoping for a Deuchars IPA or something similar.


sure folks can remember better than me given I was generally out of it most of the time, but last season's tap offerings were Belhaven or MacAllan(?) Best (I think), Guinness...and I think the lager was Carling...bottles of Magners...

And it's not ridiculously overpriced anymore...approx £3 a pint...

Anyone know if the Wanderers Club's gonna be open to STH's this season? Very friendly, good munchies, and even better bar prices... ;)
"La claque est immense!"
User avatar
chappo
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby Oldsalt on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Don't think so chappo. There was an article when the ST's went on sale, reckoned that the Wanderers lost money on the arrangement last year. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2389
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Fife

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby Chris on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:39 pm

If you want Real Ale just outside the stadium, then "The Hampton" is the place to go:

http://www.hamptonhotel.co.uk/index.php

Deuchars IPA + 2 or 3 other draught Real Ales - right next to The Murrayfield Hotel, opposite the turnoff for the Ice Rink and North Turnstiles.

If you're in the Haymarket area beforehand: Thomson's on Morrison Street is a really good option - about 20 minutes walk from the stadium:

http://www.thomsonsbaredinburgh.co.uk/

The Nudger will be along shortly, I'm sure, to tell you more about The Golden Rule - Polwarth, near the Fountainbridge complex:

http://www.goldenruleedinburgh.co.uk/
User avatar
Chris
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby davezero7 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:22 am

Chris wrote:If you want Real Ale just outside the stadium, then "The Hampton" is the place to go:

http://www.hamptonhotel.co.uk/index.php

Deuchars IPA + 2 or 3 other draught Real Ales - right next to The Murrayfield Hotel, opposite the turnoff for the Ice Rink and North Turnstiles.


Never heard of this place might check it out sometime.



Chris wrote:If you're in the Haymarket area beforehand: Thomson's on Morrison Street is a really good option - about 20 minutes walk from the stadium:

http://www.thomsonsbaredinburgh.co.uk/

The Nudger will be along shortly, I'm sure, to tell you more about The Golden Rule - Polwarth, near the Fountainbridge complex:

http://www.goldenruleedinburgh.co.uk/


no need to tell me about these two as I'm already aware of them - good pubs, drank in them a lot quite good atmosphere and they have been regular haunts on my drinking travels in the past.

In all likely hood I'll probably drink in thomson's bar before games.
davezero7
Established pro
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 pm

On the back of this question lads I'm looking to get to a few games this year, but I live in Sunderland (I know its a dive). Are there any decent cheap B&Bs round Murryfield I can stay at?
hammer
Embra Debut
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby hammer on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Any help/advice would be great lads!
hammer
Embra Debut
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:33 am

hammer wrote:On the back of this question lads I'm looking to get to a few games this year, but I live in Sunderland (I know its a dive). Are there any decent cheap B&Bs round Murryfield I can stay at?


You can get good deals at Premier inn at Haymarket near the station, quite a lot of my friends have used this and there is a car park opposite
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 4221
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:00 pm

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby hammer on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
hammer wrote:On the back of this question lads I'm looking to get to a few games this year, but I live in Sunderland (I know its a dive). Are there any decent cheap B&Bs round Murryfield I can stay at?


You can get good deals at Premier inn at Haymarket near the station, quite a lot of my friends have used this and there is a car park opposite


Thanks for the reply Gary.

Where do people usually head for drink before/after the game? Would be good to make new friend up Edinburgh way if I'm going to come to a few games now and again.....
hammer
Embra Debut
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Drinks on Match days?

Postby Baz on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:30 pm

If I get the train in the roseburn and ryries(?)
Baz
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Perth


Return to Fun & Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest