Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Wottie on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:42 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:2yr extension for kinghorn...more good news!

But not sure about this "wants" to stay sounds like there is a but somewhere

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38421129

Somewhere in a boardroom in Edinburgh:
SRU - "There you are Blair, a new 3 year Contract"
BK - "Thanks but ER have pretty much been stinking since ever I can remember. I think I'll just take 2 if that's OK with you?"
SRU - "Whatever you say Blair"

Agree there is a "But" on the Watson story. Great to get Magnus committed for 3 however. Thats exactly what we should be doing with these young guys that have shown so much promise for so long. Hamish is a must keep if we have any ambition whatsoever. This is going to be an intriguing few months on the coaching and playing front. JP has a very difficult job in the circumstances
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:25 pm

I wonder if kinghorn would have got three years if he was capped, and two is a more sensible period for both in that respect.

Watson - could be putting pressure on to get others signed up - i will stay if these guys do. He is certainly right that if he wants to add to his Scotland caps Edinburgh is probably best for now when he is keeping his biggest rival out of the jersey.

Totally agree on JPs job probably needs the potential big earners like Nel to commit or not so he knows what budget he has for others.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:47 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I wonder if kinghorn would have got three years if he was capped, and two is a more sensible period for both in that respect.

quite right Feral Goat. Blair will be in far better position when he gets capped to negotiate a better deal. As ever too any assumptions being made about what Edinburgh want and ignoring what the player might want. Perhaps the SRU should have said sign for 3 years or you get no deal - wonder how that would have gone down!

Of course we don't know what went on this time, but one scenario is as likely as another (even if I think Kinghorn and hs agent had the best hand to play) and assuming incompetence by one party every time is a bit tiresome
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:48 pm

The Watson story is absolutely standard fare of an agent saying my client has been offered this much and we're getting offered more elsewhere and there's a substantial difference
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:04 am

According to Mark Palmer King Blairhorn had interest from the AP so it's good we kept hold of him regardless of the length of deal, perhaps he thinks when he's 21 he'll be in a stronger bargaining spot for more money.

If Watson wants to stay at Edinburgh so badly he can sign an extension, until then it's paper talk. I have a feeling he'll leave now whilst there's interest from England but I'd certainly be happy to be proved wrong.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Bit of a tangent but former player John Andress retired from Munster on the 15th of December. 2 weeks later Connacht needed a body to fill a place on the bench and he ended up playing 10 minutes against Munster on Hogmanay!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:30 pm

FKL why is it good to retain Kinghorn regardless of the length of the deal. To me he is still young and relatively unproven, he may work out or he may not. He regularly makes schoolboy errors or has a brain freeze. Till these traits are ironed out he can be a liability. Next season will be his test and then we will see if he fits into the H Leonard category or not.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Oldsalt wrote:FKL why is it good to retain Kinghorn regardless of the length of the deal. To me he is still young and relatively unproven, he may work out or he may not. He regularly makes schoolboy errors or has a brain freeze. Till these traits are ironed out he can be a liability. Next season will be his test and then we will see if he fits into the H Leonard category or not.

Have we got a back that has been performing at a higher level than Kinghorn this season? Not for me. Hoyland hasn't got enough ball and I wish he'd go looking for work as he's effective when he does, Dean has improved too but he's not too noticeable in some games, Weir was playing well pre injury but a bit up and down now - the others? Meh.

I agree he's unproven but how many 19 year old's who've only been out of school a year and half are proven top rugby players? He's young so does needs to bulk up a bit and can improve his techniqueand cut out the mental mistakes like freezing or making an error sooner rather than later however he's still one of the brightest prospects Edinburgh have had in a long time. He could turn out to be a Harry Leonard no doubt, he could be our brightest young player this year and then play badly next like SHC did. But it is also worth remembering Kinghorn has been making fewer mistakes than Bryce - 6 years his senior was at the start of the year and doing more in attack so deserves his place in the team. Overall I'm fine with a 19 year old making mistakes now and then as he's doing a lot of positives and keeping him here for at least two years is good for us.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Oldsalt wrote:FKL why is it good to retain Kinghorn regardless of the length of the deal. To me he is still young and relatively unproven, he may work out or he may not. He regularly makes schoolboy errors or has a brain freeze. Till these traits are ironed out he can be a liability. Next season will be his test and then we will see if he fits into the H Leonard category or not.

Would you rather let him go?

And I'm struggling to think of a bad error other than the Glasgow game.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:28 am

No Biffer I'm not saying let him go at all. Some seem to think he is the finished article and can do no wrong. What hopefully he will do is work on his weaker areas and improve only time will tell if this happens.
Perhaps Glasgow are where they are because they as individuals want to be better and play as a team better.
How many seasons have ER just turned up in the second half of the season and then frittered away a good league position. Maybe this is what Manu was getting at a few months ago, mental attitude.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 am

While I agree mental strength is missing, Im not sure how it links to Kinghorn signing a new contract?

I dont think it is down to a 19yr old to fix that, he is doing all that is asked of him so far, has made very few mistakes and will progress well. If anything will change the mindset it will be in kicking out an experienced player whose atitude is not right (if there is a particular culprit).

One thing noticable this season is the lack of leadership, losing Coman was far greater than his playing ability. If we are to sign a new players, somoene like Strokosch would be the right type, although back row is far from the area most needing strengthened. If Lamont doesnt get offered a new contract I would take him
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Lad at Gloucester Matt Scott,SQ and 10 tries so far this season may be the answer to fill our 13 shirt... :twisted:
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:32 pm

NO NO NO NO NO HE IS A 12 AND ONLY A 12, ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD PLAY HIM AT 13 WHERE HE IS USELESS!!!!!

:roll:
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:44 pm

I will burn this place to the ground if you carry on with this.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:14 am

Oldsalt wrote:No Biffer I'm not saying let him go at all. Some seem to think he is the finished article and can do no wrong. What hopefully he will do is work on his weaker areas and improve only time will tell if this happens.
Perhaps Glasgow are where they are because they as individuals want to be better and play as a team better.
How many seasons have ER just turned up in the second half of the season and then frittered away a good league position. Maybe this is what Manu was getting at a few months ago, mental attitude.

You seem to be demonstrating the traditional attitude of an Edinburgh fan. All negative about one of Tibet young prospects to come through in recent years.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum