Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby macdone on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:11 am

macdone
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:52 am

For what it's worth, as a neutral bystander, I think this is an excellent appointment. I suspect that he will bring a backbone to the team that it has been sadly lacking. Two years is a good enough timescale but if he makes a sucess then Edinburgh will probably struggle to keep him after that time period.

He saying all the right words; he's moving his family to Edinburgh; he has a good track record. What is there not to like about the guy?
KenMavor
International

Postby doedin on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:11 am

I am sure he is a good appointment but like others on here my problem is I have never really liked the guy and can’t see beyond that at times. However now he is our coach I may like him more? I also have a problem about the way that Leicester fell apart this season and the complete lack of motivation within the squad when the played the Weegies, it was almost like watching us in any of our last three games!

It does seem a touch of luck for the SRU that he became available and indicates they didn't have any plan in their back pocket once Solomons was heaved, which is a worry. Hardly a strategic appointment but rather a fortunate piece of business? I also assume he fully understands his role and the level of interest/interfering from the SRU and the likes of the Fat Bluffer. The last thing we need is a falling out mid season.

At least he now has time to evaluate the squad and try and recruit what is still available to recruit. He will also have a pre season to get the squad into shape and understand what he will be expecting of them, it avoids him having the same excuse Solomons had in his first season! What he will bring is a degree of professionalism and expectations that he had when coaching a PL team and an up to date understanding of what is required to operate at that level. Also he brings ideas and ways of working that will be new to both the squad and the coaching team which will be essential cause what they are doing now aint working!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 am

Jamie Lyall has done a good interview with Richard Cockerill: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39034492

I liked this bit:

I think Duncan's done a very good job in making the team more expansive and that will continue," Cockerill said. "But clearly we have to develop our players and make sure we're resilient, tough, competitive and robust - all the things the game is built on.

I think we're going to see a very physical team but I'm not so sure it'll be the 10 man rugby we're maybe expecting or hopefully not anyway. Hodge has done a lot of good in getting a heads up style of rugby so I'm glad he's being given credit for that.

This bit is also interesting:

I don't want Edinburgh to be a holding ground waiting for the Test matches to arrive; I want Edinburgh to be a successful team and I want players that want to play for Edinburgh first and foremost.

He clearly knows the issues in the squad, holding pen for internationals is a great way to put Edinburgh even though there's fewer internationals. He really sounds like he has a handle on the situation and it sounds like he has the tools to fix them.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

doedin wrote:It does seem a touch of luck for the SRU that he became available and indicates they didn't have any plan in their back pocket once Solomons was heaved, which is a worry. Hardly a strategic appointment but rather a fortunate piece of business? I also assume he fully understands his role and the level of interest/interfering from the SRU and the likes of the Fat Bluffer. The last thing we need is a falling out mid season.

Or the flip side is they had guys in mind but Cockerill became available and they saw him as the right appointment at this stage of what, to an extent, will need to be a rebuilding project? I guess the wider support will never know although a few "in the know" types might.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:53 am

Interesting reading the Tigers fan forum where Rugby Operations Head Ged Glynn has admitted he was responsible for the likes of Henry Purdy, Perry Humphreys and Alex Lewington leaving Tigers. He also admitted that Fonua was his signing.

Seems strange for a Rugby Operations Head to bring in players over the DoR.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:06 pm

doedin wrote:I am sure he is a good appointment but like others on here my problem is I have never really liked the guy and can’t see beyond that at times.

Well suck it up.

In similar vein I didn't particularly like Scott Brown, until I met him, and he's spot on. What we may see in the media may not be a reflection on what the person's like.

as I've said before he may be a #### but he's our #### now
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:42 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
doedin wrote:I am sure he is a good appointment but like others on here my problem is I have never really liked the guy and can’t see beyond that at times.

Well suck it up.

In similar vein I didn't particularly like Scott Brown, until I met him, and he's spot on. What we may see in the media may not be a reflection on what the person's like.

as I've said before he may be a #### but he's our #### now

I suppose that is exactly what I said in my next sentence but without the expletives and a bit more subtly/irony? If you are going to quote me then do it right please!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:02 pm

I met him down at our game against Leicester in Melrose and he was fairly approachable. Didn't shout at me once, even when I called him some old hooker when asked who he was.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:17 pm

My concern FWIW is will he fit with the SRU. Hope he's allowed his way. I bet if he was in charge tonight a few new arseholes would be getting torn.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Le Jock Sportif wrote:My concern FWIW is will he fit with the SRU. Hope he's allowed his way. I bet if he was in charge tonight a few new arseholes would be getting torn.

And some would be very deserved :roll: :x
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:06 am

:wink:
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:21 am

djphilp wrote:
Le Jock Sportif wrote:My concern FWIW is will he fit with the SRU. Hope he's allowed his way. I bet if he was in charge tonight a few new arseholes would be getting torn.

And some would be very deserved :roll: :x

I said that after the game - we wouldn't have seen any of the players in the bar because he would have roasted them for over an hour
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:39 pm

After watching Visser's display yesterday Cockers can't get to Edinburgh soon enough. Visser has been turned from an out and out try-scoring machine into a rugby player.

He had two main weakness, one was under a high ball, he was outstanding in that regard yesterday. He defensive positioning left a lot to be desired, tackling wasn't the problem as such, he was just never where he was supposed to be. Quins have really worked with him and made him into a very good player.

Also, Picamoles has come on massively at Saints, in the early part of the season he was blowing out his shorts by half time, now he is still breaking down doors at the end of an international match.

The premiership doesn't allow for coasting in any shape or form.

Cockerill won't accept anything other than 100% percent commitment and desire for improvement. I expect him to build a "steelyness", a clinical side to Edinburgh that is sadly lacking. I maintain that we have some good players and some very good players, but they are playing badly. It might cause some to leave, but so be it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 am

Not sure if this is best place to post this but a good interview with O'Halloran on the BBC site thought the following quote interesting and is pretty much what we see every match from ER, hope Cockers has a read

"The typical Scottish mentality was to go harder as individuals, which invariably leads to an isolated carry and a turnover, a penalty or dropped ball. I thought if could harness the energy and do it in a collective manner we'd have a lot more success."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39209021
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum