Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby royc on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:57 pm

macdone wrote:We always need to develop our academy players but having only young, developing scrum halves isn't healthy. Galbraith is miles off the standard required IMO. If anyone we should be trying to get Paddy Kelly.

We need to sign 3 quality players as I see it - a 9, 12 and 15. Gilco and Manu, possibly Hardie should be sacrificed.

So in summary it would be :

Forwards:
Manu - replaced by McInally
McInally - replaced by a 4th choice hooker
Fihaki - replaced by Miller
Gilco - replaced by Hunter-Hill
Beavon - replaced by McCallum

Backs:
Allen - replaced by Bennett
Helu - replaced by Graham
Kennedy - replaced by experienced 9
Bryce - replaced by a quality 15
Burleigh - replaced by a tough 12

Spending would be needed on a 9, 12 and 15 - the scrum half being the priority. The 12 would be much needed defensive leader. In my dreams maybe but that's what we need IMO.

I think your new broom would likely have to be done over two seasons, as Fihaki, Bryce and Burleigh are all in contract until 2018.

If the 5 backs who are out of contract are not renewed, I think the backs picture is close to what you have got but probably along the lines of:-

1st XV

15 - Kinghorn
14 - Brown/Hoyland
13 - Bennett (replacing Allen)
12 - Burleigh
11 - New winger (replacing Helu)*
10 - Weir
9 - New scum half (replacing Kennedy)

2nd XV

15 - Bryce G
14 - Hoyland/Brown
13 - Rasolea
12 - Dean
11 - Scholes
10 - Tovey
9 - SHC

Back-ups:

Back 3 - Graham (replacing Northam, assuming he's OOC)
Centre - Tofilau or replacement
Half back - Fowles

* Will Helu was the replacement for Visser IIRC, in the big, hard-running, try-scoring winger mode. (28 starts in two seasons at Wasps, 70 points/14 tries). It hasn't worked out quite as planned, mainly due to injury, but I'd think the coaches would be looking for a similar type of winger, as there are already three smaller guys to do the dazzling Tommy Seymour-type stuff on the faster wing, in Brown, Hoyland and Graham.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Not sure either of these backs line ups will strike fear in any opponents! The 1st choice all look a bit lightweight - with Weir and Bennet at 10 and 13 then we need a bigger 12 to get over the gain line. Burleigh continues to promise in flashes but has never really delivered. Dean might be an option at 12 but he needs to step up a gear and a few kgs. The second choice line up is just a collection of odds and sods. Big job to be done in the backs over the close season! In contract or not I can see a few agreeing to ‘come to a mutual agreement’ about their future once Cockerill gets his feet under the table.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Cosgrove away to Bristol, disappointing looked a good prospect but I guess when all fit a fair bit away from the first XV

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/bristol ... -cosgrove/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Really disappointing news about Cosgrove, even given our depth there, he'd get regular games during the international windows and potentially more through rotation if he kicks on.

We do need a 4th LHP now, so hopefully Whyte gets a deal soon.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:09 pm

gowrie wrote:Really disappointing news about Cosgrove, even given our depth there, he'd get regular games during the international windows and potentially more through rotation if he kicks on.

I thought Whyte was a tighthead?

I think Cosgrove had to move, realistically. Hopefully he will make good progress at Bristol and be knocking on the door for international honours in due course.

Us having only two teams means there are limited opportunities for players and an ambitious young player will have tough decisions to make.

Good luck to him.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
gowrie wrote:Really disappointing news about Cosgrove, even given our depth there, he'd get regular games during the international windows and potentially more through rotation if he kicks on.

I thought Whyte was a tighthead?

I think Cosgrove had to move, realistically. Hopefully he will make good progress at Bristol and be knocking on the door for international honours in due course.

Us having only two teams means there are limited opportunities for players and an ambitious young player will have tough decisions to make.

Good luck to him.

Think Whyte's primarily a LH, but has apparently played TH for Watsonians and for Western Province too.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Sutherland and Dell are both 24, Cosgrove at 22 is not that much younger with Dickinson still top quality I think keeping Cosgrove would be a luxury and we could do with strength elsewhere. Still disappointing to lose a good young player but possibly gives an opening to an academy player to be fourth LH.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:51 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Sutherland and Dell are both 24, Cosgrove at 22 is not that much younger with Dickinson still top quality I think keeping Cosgrove would be a luxury and we could do with strength elsewhere. Still disappointing to lose a good young player but possibly gives an opening to an academy player to be fourth LH.

Dickinson is getting older and Sutherland/Dell are almost guaranteed a Scotland squad place at least unless Alex Allan or Jamie Bhatti develop considerably. Therefore - even without injury - you have around 12 weeks without your top 2 props.

We still need Whyte or Thornton to sign up for fourth as well. Cosgrove was playing quite nicely - shame the SRU have let him drop to the Champ.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.

He's better off playing every week in the Championship than just spending his time in the Murrayfield gym.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:05 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.

A strange one - he didn't lack game time and would have had Dickinson and Cockerill to learn from. I get the impression Edinburgh aren't paying young players as much as other clubs.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Incidentally re Adam Hastings, he didn't chose Glasgow over us - there was no interest or offer from Edinburgh.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 pm

I can imagine Cosgrove didn't want to be 4th choice LH at Embra. He might get game time during the international window but given the dross he has had to play with during the 6Ns then I don't think that would be a great motivation to stay. He has played well when given the chance on the pitch. Don’t have a problem with him moving on assuming we retain the others. Dickinson went down south to get a game when he couldn't get game time due to Chunk being 1st choice, however he came back once he had a chance of being top dog. Cosgrove may do the same?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:52 pm

macdone wrote:Incidentally re Adam Hastings, he didn't chose Glasgow over us - there was no interest or offer from Edinburgh.

To be fair we have two 10s under contract for next season and they only have one. Probably one of those things the SRU aren't usually going to pit Glasgow and Edinburgh against each other for the same player - the last thing they want is to get into a bidding war with themselves...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:08 pm

robdinsdale wrote:

He's better off playing every week in the Championship than just spending his time in the Murrayfield gym.

This - disappointed he's not coming to Scottish ( I may be slightly biased . . . ) But Scots in the Championship can learn a lot, and frees up space and of course budget for others in the 2 pro teams. Hunter - Hill the current standout, and Miller has also got on the bandwagon.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum