Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby biffer on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 pm

macdone wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.

A strange one - he didn't lack game time and would have had Dickinson and Cockerill to learn from. I get the impression Edinburgh aren't paying young players as much as other clubs.

Didn't lack game time? He's made maybe half a dozen appearances in three years!
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:58 am

biffer wrote:
macdone wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.

A strange one - he didn't lack game time and would have had Dickinson and Cockerill to learn from. I get the impression Edinburgh aren't paying young players as much as other clubs.

Didn't lack game time? He's made maybe half a dozen appearances in three years!

He's been here this season and last. Last season he played regularly on loan at London Scottish. This season it's been Dell and Cosgrove for the majority of the season. I suspect he just got a more lucrative offer.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:05 am

Bristol are an extremely wealthy club so I imagine he would have been offered well in excess of what Edinburgh could pay a fourth choice LH.
Lets just hope we don't have injuries on that side next season-probably the turn for the hoodoo to strike somewhere else of course!
I like Cosgrove and fully expect we'll see him back at Murrayfield within 2/3 years 9in a Scotland shirt this time).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:12 am

Not heard of Bomber for a while - expected him to be back at Edinburgh by now?
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am

We can't assume the SRU just let him go, there is every chance he was simply offered a better package at Bristol:
1. Higher up the pecking order than 4th choice.
2. Probably more money.
3. He is English even though he played for our U20's, he went to Hartpury College which is about 40-50miles from Bristol so he may like that part of the country. A Grandad link may mean he wants to play for Scotland but that doesn't mean he needs to accept being down the pecking order up here.

It is nonsense to suggest he'll be wasting his time down there when he'd be 4th choice for most of the season and farmed out to LS or the likes of Heriots etc (no disrespect but they aint Bristol) for the rest of the season. Bristol will have a quality set up next season, and regular, even semi regular game time for them in the championship will be good for his development. They are scrapping the play offs so it is almost a certainty Bristol will bounce straight back up.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:53 am

BigD163 wrote:We can't assume the SRU just let him go, there is every chance he was simply offered a better package at Bristol:
2. Probably more money.
3. He is English even though he played for our U20's, he went to Hartpury College which is about 40-50miles from Bristol so he may like that part of the country. A Grandad link may mean he wants to play for Scotland but that doesn't mean he needs to accept being down the pecking order up here.

It is nonsense to suggest he'll be wasting his time down there when he'd be 4th choice for most of the season and farmed out to LS or the likes of Heriots etc (no disrespect but they aint Bristol) for the rest of the season. Bristol will have a quality set up next season, and regular, even semi regular game time for them in the championship will be good for his development. They are scrapping the play offs so it is almost a certainty Bristol will bounce straight back up.

no no its all the SRU's fault, always is surely?

agree with much of your post. Only additional point to ponder is this - we all refer to him being 4h choice LH if he stayed. He started this season as 4th choice, but he has stepped up when asked and performed really well - would he still be 4th choice? I mean on form, not reputation? If he has been told he would be irrespective of form then he would be absolutely right to get out (and incredibly this does happen in pro rugby, but hopefully not at Edinburgh); or does he not think that he can force his way up the pecking order, does not back himself - in which case its as well he goes.
Not saying either scenario happened , but worth thinking about perhaps
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 am

joe soap wrote:
BigD163 wrote:We can't assume the SRU just let him go, there is every chance he was simply offered a better package at Bristol:
2. Probably more money.

no no its all the SRU's fault, always is surely?

agree with much of your post. Only additional point to ponder is this - we all refer to him being 4h choice LH if he stayed. He started this season as 4th choice, but he has stepped up when asked and performed really well - would he still be 4th choice? I mean on form, not reputation? If he has been told he would be irrespective of form then he would be absolutely right to get out (and incredibly this does happen in pro rugby, but hopefully not at Edinburgh); or does he not think that he can force his way up the pecking order, does not back himself - in which case its as well he goes.
Not saying either scenario happened , but worth thinking about perhaps

That is a fair point, but it may also be that Lam and Bakewell (assuming he is staying on as forwards coach) have said they see him challenging for a first choice 23 place straight away and that as part of an overall package has swayed him.

I certainly can't hold it against him for moving. They are signing the likes of Luatua, Madigan, rumoured to be after other AB's. So far Edinburgh have announced one signing. It is easy to see why he could have his head turned.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:03 pm

I think that Cosgrove is a better scrummager than Dell who helds his own at scrum time, but no more. He hasn't Dell's pace or activity though but he is maybe a more powerful ball carrier. It's a shame he's gone as he looks very promising but I can understand the reason to move. He is too strong for a fourth choice and I don't wish him a George Turner career here...

Edit: It could have been a great idea for Glasgow to sign him as he could be better than all their LH props. We cannot say that in many areas when we compare ourself to Glasgow...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Virtually all the other Pro teams are signing up players and busy shaping up their squads for next season. Glasgow looks just about all done, formal announcement of Hastings joining awaited, some decisions on 3rd choice backs/academy promotions and 3 big signings in the forwards and they're about ready to roll, have already announced 10 players leaving.

Edinburgh meantime has managed 3 internal appointments - two academy promotions and a transfer along the M8. It can't be having a new coach that's holding things up, can it, as Glasgow have a new coach arriving too and it doesn't seem to be slowing their recruitment down?

I have a sinking feeling that SJ and the SRU committee doing the signings are locked into doing Glasgow and haven't got round to looking at Edinburgh yet - this walking and chewing gum at the same time is a bit difficult admittedly! :) Hope I'm wrong, but the weeks pass and elsewhere players are being signed left, right and centre, just hope it's not another end-of-season rush to find what's left at the bottom of the bran tub. :(
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Edinburgh meantime has managed 3 internal appointments - two academy promotions and a transfer along the M8. It can't be having a new coach that's holding things up, can it, as Glasgow have a new coach arriving too and it doesn't seem to be slowing their recruitment down?

While I agree more ER signing news would be good, what is also is not happening (yet) is announcements of our out of contract players going elsewhere eg Hardie, could of course be waiting for the 6N to finish for any capped movers announcements.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Not particularly relevant to this thread, but not sure it warrants its own thread, so...

Murray Douglas on the bench for Melbourne Rebels this weekend: https://melbournerebels.com/2017/03/15/ ... or-chiefs/
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Not sure if he is injured but I don't think Alex Toolis has managed to get any game time yet
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby jodo on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:48 pm

royc wrote:Edinburgh meantime has managed 3 internal appointments - two academy promotions and a transfer along the M8. It can't be having a new coach that's holding things up, can it, as Glasgow have a new coach arriving too and it doesn't seem to be slowing their recruitment down?

Although I do agree that the SRU do seem to have been concentrating on Glasgow, it's unfair to say that our signings have been limited to 'two academy promotions and a transfer along the M8'.

Do the new deals for Watson, Brown ,Fowles, Sutherland, Kinghorn and Bradbury not count?
jodo
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:36 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Not sure if he is injured but I don't think Alex Toolis has managed to get any game time yet

He has a neck injury apparently.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:37 pm

2. Probably more money.

You're playing the same teams at Bristol you would at LS, however Bristol will just be putting 50 points on everyone because they're so much better which is a tad pointless.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum